Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions?

greif

Involved In Discussions
If the tech does not understand something, or cannot locate a document on the network; can the tech ask one of the bystanders for help? I know the bystanders cannot volunteer anything.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
In any management system audit, including an audit against ISO 17025, the external auditor will try to ascertain if the person is competent for the function at hand. As in any organization, sometimes, one needs to rely on assistance from colleagues and co-workers in order to accomplish something. So, it should NOT be a concern to the external auditor if the technician seeks assistance from someone on how to get something done. However, it would concern me if EVERYTHING the technician does has to have assistance from other folks, as that would demonstrate s/he is not competent for the functions at hand.

An audit is not a closed book test; it is an assessment of the system in place.

greif

Involved In Discussions
greif said:
I know the bystanders cannot volunteer anything.
Andy N said;
Really? Who said that?

Hmmm.... we have only had preliminary audits by a consultant so far (for 17025), and when a tech was doing a procedure he did not want any prompting going on from onlookers. I thought it was reasonable (to see how the tech would do if the crowd was not there to fill in holes in how to do things). Is this not normal practice?

AndyN

Moved On
we have only had preliminary audits by a consultant so far (for 17025), and when a tech was doing a procedure he did not want any prompting going on from onlookers

Different person and motive. The consultant wants to ensure the work is being carried out confidently. Some supervisors/management can't stand a vacuum and try to fill in the silence (maybe to show THEY know what's going on). That's legit to have the consultant do that.

When the Lab Accreditation auditor is there, they will want to see the same thing, however, it's possible they will ask questions of the tech which are NOT within the scope of the tech's work/responsibility - hence it's legit for a "bystander" to step in and answer. Audits are uncomfortable for some. They may not feel or able to reply confidently that the auditor isn't asking the "right" questions. No reason to make anyone sweat. So step in and avoid a trainwreck!

Last edited:

DietCokeofEvil

Trusted Information Resource
True AndyN. Sometimes auditors word things using different terminology- I've found myself staring blankly at an auditor because I couldn't figure out what he was actually asking, and someone had to step in and clarify. That was in my early days when I was new to the whole thing.

Top Bottom