AUSTRALIA - TGA/APVMA manufacturer, sponser or importer?

R

Regulation Maze

Good morning all,

I have a question which relates to registration in Australia.

Our product falls under HS Code 3808 9490 - We currently have EPA approval on our product in the US, however we are branching into the Asia Pacific region. One of our first stops in Australia. Because we are not registered as a medical device (because we are absolutely not a medical device) in the US, I feel we would be more suitable placed under the APVMA in Australia.
My questions are:

• With the TGA you can get a sponser to handle your application, as you do with the APVMA, however, with importing any chemcial that falls outside the scope of NICNAS you have to notify them that you are exempt and for what reason. Our distributor, who has an ABN, ACN etc is stating that as he is not the importer nor the manufacturer of the product (we are sourcing it in Australia) he does not think that he is the correct person to notify NICNAS. Because we are taking the product from the manufacturer and turning into a biocide (not altering the product - just the label etc) does that make us the manufacturer/our distributor the manufacturer?

I feel like I am going round in a never ending circle :bonk:

• Finally, if we notify under APVMA, it states in the TGA that so long as no alteration is made to the product under which it was registered with the APVMA it is exempt from the TGA - has anyone else had any experience with this?

Thank you so much in advance for any help anyone can offer with this particular issue.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Regulation Maze

I have actually found the answer for the first bit:)

However, I still have the query about the TGA and the APVMA

This is what I have at the moment
[FONT=&quot]Under the Theraputic Goods Order No. 54 – Standard for disinfectants and Sterilants Point 1(v) A disinfectant or sanitiser registered under the Agricultural and veterinary chemicals code act 1994 for which no claim or representation for disinfectant use is made other than a use which is registered for the disinfectant is exempt

Additionally, I have found this:
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]the determination of poison schedule classification for an agricultural or veterinary chemical product by OCS (Office of Chemical Safety) is authorised separately under the [FONT=&quot]Therapeutic Goods Act 1989[/FONT] administered by the Therapeutics Goods Administration (TGA) of the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing. In making its assessment of a chemical product, the APVMA is required to consider the poison schedule classification determined by a separate law of the relevant jurisdiction

Any thoughts greatly recieved! :popcorn::frust:
[/FONT]

M

MikeTi

The decision as to whether a product is controlled by APVMA or TGA is made on the basis of uses.

APVMA controls agricultural and veterinary uses. Therefore, a product needs to be used for control of animal diseases or plant pathogens, or similar to be registered by APVMA.

TGA controls disinfectants in other situations. Do not be confused by the fact that disinfectants fall with the medical devices area at TGA.

Before deciding about sponsors, etc you need to determine if your product is controlled by TGA or APVMA, if the product is a disinfectant.

I know this is confusing so I am happy to discuss in some detail but an open forum may not be the best venue for this. If you want, you can send an email to me through a personal message or by blind email.

R

Regulation Maze

Mike,

That is great thank you, I will certainly email you, as our product is registered under PT 2,3 and 4 in the BPD, and the APVMA have looked at our label and have said that we do need to register underneath them.

I'll drop you an email, many thanks again :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational TGA – Current status of breast implant products in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA Consultation: Review of the regulation of certain self-testing IVDs in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Australia – TGA business plan 2019-20 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA – European implementation of Medical Device and IVD Regulations – Implications for Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Sponsor Agreement Requirements for Australia TGA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
A Australia TGA Medical Device Sponsor Agreement - Example or Template Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
M Informational TGA – Brexit – Implications for therapeutic goods in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News TGA Consultation: Changes to a number of definitions and the scope of the medical device regulatory framework in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Question about Australia - TGA and MDSAP - Technical file ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Ajit Basrur Redeveloped TGA (Australia) website Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S How to locate a Sponsor in Australia to submit Product Approval Applications by TGA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
T Australia TGA Approval recognized by New Zealand? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
T TGA - Application Fees - Exporting Medical Devices into Australia market Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
bio_subbu Australia?s TGA - IVD Regulations have been published Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
C Registering Medical Devices in Australia and New Zealand - ANZTPA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
C ISO 13485 Requirement in Australia/NZ for class 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
dgrainger Interesting Discussion FEDERAL COURT OF AUSTRALIA: Gill v Ethicon Sàrl - Mesh EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Exemptions, Responsibilities, and Penalties (in Australia) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
J MDSAP Regulatory Requirements other than in Japan, Brazil, Australia, Canada, US ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Use of a "Priority existing chemical" in medical device in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M How does Australia handle products that are EU PPE, but Australia Medical Devices? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
R Selling of Medical Power Supply in Australia/New Zealand and Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
K Australia's Melbourne Cup - 2013 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
B Quality-related short term course in Perth Australia Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
B Seeking help in answering Australia Tax Withholding Declaration Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
B Prices for apartments in Perth Australia Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
A ASQ CQE statistics training in Australia? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
L Australia/Canada and USA v's EU Medical Devices Regulations Comparison Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
S Does Australia/New Zealand require RoHS, WEEE, REACH and EMC? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
A How to determine if product is a Medical Device in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
C Image Viewer Classification in Australia (Software Image Processing similar to PACS) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
K Design Control - Parent Company is located in Australia 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A I want to register IVDs (CE) in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Update from Australia and NZ regulatory bodies - ANZTPA in next 5 years Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
C French manufactured medical devices in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
Ronen E Australia and New Zealand joint scheme for Regulation of Therapeutic Goods Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K Does Australia require any annual registration or license renewal for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Definition of Manufacturer, Sponsor, Distributor in Australia Therapeutic Goods Act Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 19
J0anne GMDN (Global Medical Device Nomenclature) Australia, Japan, Turkey, Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M Standards Australia - AS1199.3 2003 Skip Lot inspection Criteria and Requirements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Medical Device Classes IIa and IIb in EU and Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
C Internal Auditor Training Courses in Australia - Recommendations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
I Vigilance SOP that covers Australia, Taiwan, Japan or Brazil wanted Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V List of Registrars in Australia Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
arios Important Regulatory changes in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Q Work in Australia - Job opportunities and market requirements of Australia Immigration and Expatriate Topics 5
J Dog Pack Attacks Crocodile In Northern Territory, Australia Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 5
M Training in ISO 9001 standard - Australia Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
P Australia - The process to declare conformity for a class IIa medical device? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
D Certified Verification Authority (CVA) Australia Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2