Australian Registration of Non-CE Marked Medical Device

S

sde99

We manufacture a class IIa medical device and are looking to get the device registered in Australia. I understand the process is simplified if the device has a CE mark, I am wondering what are the additional requirements if the device is not yet CE marked?
Many thanks for any help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

QAengineer13

Quite Involved in Discussions
We manufacture a class IIa medical device and are looking to get the device registered in Australia. I understand the process is simplified if the device has a CE mark, I am wondering what are the additional requirements if the device is not yet CE marked?
Hi Sde99,

To obtain access to the Australian market, medical device and IVD manufacturers will need to include their product in the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG), regulated by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

Step 1
Determine classification using Schedule 2 of the Australian Therapeutic Goods (Medical Devices) Regulations 2002.

Step 2
If you have no local presence in Australia, appoint an Australian Sponsor. The Sponsor facilitates your device registration, acts as the liaison between the manufacturer and the TGA, and the Sponsor’s name must appear on your device and labeling.

Step 3
Have current Technical File or Design Dossier (Class III) and Declaration of Conformity ready for submission.

Step 4
For all devices except Class I Non-sterile, non-measuring, Sponsor submits Manufacturer’s Evidence (CE Marking certificate) in eBS system for TGA's review and acceptance.

Step 5
Class III devices will undergo a Level 2 Application Audit. The design dossier is reviewed by the TGA.

Step 6
For all classes, the Australian Sponsor submits Medical Device Application online in eBS system. The Application should include Intended Purpose statement, classification and GMDN code. Pay application fee.

Step 7
The TGA will approve or reject your application. If approved by the TGA, an Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) listing number will be issued (ARTG Certificate of Inclusion) and your listing will be included in teh ARTG database on the TGA website.

Step 8
You may now begin marketing your device in Australia. Registrations do not expire as long as you do not make changes to the device that would invalidate the ARTG listing, a current CE Marketing certificate (if applicale) is on file with the TGA, and the annual ARTG listing fee is paid.

Hope this helps!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi,

In a nutshell, the process is quite similar to CE marking. Instead of engaging with a NB and registering with a Competent Authority in the EU, you have similar dealings with the Australian TGA (performing both functions of NB and CA). You can, alternatively, elect to be audited by an EU NB (instead of by the TGA) but given the currrent backlog most NBs have I guess that's not an attractive option.

Please note that the Australian Sponser will hold the legal right to import the sponsored devices into Australia. This is non-exclusive, a device / manufacturer can have more than one Australian Sponsor, but each such sponsor will need their own application (and resulting ARTG entry). This is also true of devices cleared through the CE mark route.

All the details are here; however, the ARGMD hasn't been reissued in a long time and there are some updates (though the process in general hasn't changed). If you need closer assistance please let me know.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Australian Registration of a CE Marked Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M Informational TGA – Australian regulatory action on breast implants and breast tissue expanders Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Australian TGA Sponsor costs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
F Looking for Australian Sponsor for an impending TGA Submission Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
M Australian Meddev Regulations Updated 5 Nov 2014 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Australian and New Zealand Standards - Supply Electricity MEN and TNC System Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
F Combined ER/EP Checklist template that covers both MDD ERs and Australian EPs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
ScottK Card used to indicate Sterilization Status - Australian Medical Device Question Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
W Australian Approval for Class I Medical Device - Help needed. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Conformity Assessment under Australian Medical Device Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
E Any Idea why Manufacturer with CE device does not seek Australian approval? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
K Which Australian Standard will help me implement OH&S in my business ? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
J First Australian Woman PM World News 34
bio_subbu Australian TGA publishes consolidated reference guidelines for medical devices(ARGMD) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Prohibition Australian Style Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
bio_subbu TGA Guidelines on Australian & EU Medical Device Regulatory Requirements Differences Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
C Australian Medical Device Database like the US FDA's 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T QSF 2000 in UK and the US (Australian food industry Standard) - Withdrawn? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
G ITAR Registration for Metrology Laboratory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A 510(k) registration and listing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A GMDN Registration Basic preliminary Information EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
F UDI Registration - Who is responsible for Registration of the Device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
P Establishment Registration and Device listing - Wording of 807.20 (a) (6) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
J Medical Device Registration in the UAE MoH Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
O Cancellation of Registration from ARTG - Sponsor Unresponsive Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Mexico Medical Device Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
JoCam False information provided for Medical Device Registration - What are the implications? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
M CE Mark and 510(k) -Global registration requirements for every country Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
T Reaction Plan To Drive suppliers to IATF 16949 registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N Post registration variation to medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
JoCam Difference between Approval and Registration - ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
MDD_QNA Medical Device registration Argentina Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
A In which EU countries would it be okay to use sample labels for registration? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D EUDAMED Single Registration Number (SRN) - How to get it? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Informational ANVISA – CONSULTA PÚBLICA No 730, DE 14 DE OUTUBRO DE 2019 – Registro de dispositivos médicos (Public consultation – registration of medical devices) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J FDA Establishment Registration Foreign Manufacturer RUO only 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Change in BRH (Brazilian Registration Holder) Technical Manager Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
C FDA Registration Requirements for Multiple Sites 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Private Label Requirements, Manufacturer's Registration & Initial Importers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F 2017/745 Article 31 Single Registration Number Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
S FDA Registration food facility - We operate under CGMP guidelines US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
C Can a manufacturer (in South of Korea) have multiple Brazil Registration Holder (BRH) for same brend name? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S Which department manages Establishment Registration, Device Listing and GUDID? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
V Determining FDA 820 (registration) vs ISO 13485 - Supplier gives us the kit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Courses / Workshops on Registration of Medical Devices WW Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2