Autocorrelation Techniques (Student Question)

M

myke74

Goodmorning everybody,

like homework i should describe advantages and disvantages of three techniques for handle autocorreletion in statistical process control.

With the help of the book i tryed to do it, can you tell me what do you think about my job (i.e. if there are wrong stuff and where i should improve)?

Thanks, jack.

1) Time Series Models

2) An Approximate EWMA Procedure for Correlated Data

3) A Model free approach

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Re: Student question - Autocorrelation techniques

I'm confused. Probably a language issue.

Did you write the above, or is that copied from a text book? Assuming you did write it, are you asking for a critique of what you wrote?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

Time Series approaches are designed to make predictions that, depending on the method utilized, can accommodate three patterns of behavior, trends, seasonality and cycles.

On the other hand SPC is designed to handle a stationary process, which is self-predicting. Control limits will react to trends, seasonality and cycles. In the context of SPC, the only way to handle autocorrelation is the following:
  1. Use an Individuals Moving Range chart. Multiple samples from an autocorrelated process will only show measurement error in the within-subgroup variation creating control limits that are too tight.
  2. Determine the number of lags for which the process is autocorrelated, and set the interval between measurements at least one lag greater. This will ensure that the sequential measurements are independent.
This is similar to your model free approach with important differences.

M

myke74

I'm confused. Probably a language issue.

Did you write the above, or is that copied from a text book? Assuming you did write it, are you asking for a critique of what you wrote?
I took from a book, i will elaborate and develop the content, at the moment i'm just asking if could be ok or if is necessary to add/delete some information.

Darius

Quite Involved in Discussions

I am agree with Miner, these are the best way (time between samples), but.., there is still another one.

There are some articles and a few books (Advanced topics on SPC, from Donald Wheeler {an excellent book}), that use an autocorrelation factor to grow the variation estimate in a way that it include autocorrelation, it's a shame that it doesn't go farther, because in the conclusion could be applied to control limits.

I have used it and works nice enought, it can be seen easily if you try to chart a sin function that slowly increases and then decreases (a case that in real life can be seen with processes that are controled by an electronic system).

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

There are some articles and a few books (Advanced topics on SPC, from Donald Wheeler {an excellent book}), that use an autocorrelation factor to grow the variation estimate in a way that it include autocorrelation, it's a shame that it doesn't go farther, because in the conclusion could be applied to control limits.
Darius,
Thanks for that information. I will have to look that one up. Is it only used for assessing capability, or is it used in construction of the control chart? I'm not sure of the benefit of sampling more frequently though because by definitition of autocorrelation, your process will not have radically changed until you reach the number of lags at which you are no longer autocorrelated.

Darius

Quite Involved in Discussions

Darius,
Thanks for that information. I will have to look that one up. Is it only used for assessing capability, or is it used in construction of the control chart? I'm not sure of the benefit of sampling more frequently though because by definitition of autocorrelation, your process will not have radically changed until you reach the number of lags at which you are no longer autocorrelated.
I posted it before.
Discussion Thread about SPC and Autocorrelation

The book put it for capability (although it show charts), but you can be agree that capability is determination of how many times your process can fit into your specs, and that the Cp variation estimate is the same as the one used for control limits, it's your process variation!.

:2cents:Agree that your process may not changed radically - mostly all the time, but can you take the risk?, I apply it to any SPC chart (as one size fit all), and the adventage is that it doesn't affect if there is low autocorrelation in your data (less than 0.6).

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T SPC Data - Autocorrelation - How do I interpret this result? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
Audit Monkey Autocorrelation and special cause variation in the AIAG SPC manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Acceptance of remote auditing techniques - Can you help me with my research? General Auditing Discussions 0
V Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R - Simple vs Complex Techniques Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
L When are Statistical techniques not applicable? Service Industry Specific Topics 16
Q Problem Solving Techniques - 5 why or Fishbone diagram ? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
J Defining Martial Arts and Gymnastics Statistical Techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
G Examples of Quality Management Techniques Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
Q Production Planning Templates, Tools & Techniques Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P What are FMEA Risk assessment techniques? FMEA and Control Plans 4
gunnyshore Corrective Action Filing and Traceability Techniques ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Print (Drawing) Bubble Techniques Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
W Pro-active Quality Culture Improvements - Suggestions, Tools and Techniques Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
D Surgical Techniques - What are the requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B CI (Continuous Improvement) Tools and Techniques - What is the state of the art? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
P DFX & DFLSS (DFSS) Techniques & Processes - Real world example of the usage Six Sigma 1
D Effective Thread Length, Top Lock Nut - Inspection Techniques Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Potable Water Distribution Process and Audit Techniques Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
B Writing Techniques for Audit Findings, Reports, etc. Internal Auditing 15
C Techniques for Measuring Flatness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 37
I Critical success factors for efficient use of statistical techniques Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 14
V Team feasibility commitment : meaning of efficient material handling techniques ? APQP and PPAP 1
P Deming - Management of Statistical Techniques for Quality and Productivity Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 9
D Problem Solving Techniques Training Materials Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
V What type of SQC or SPC Techniques can be implemented in Machine Shops Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
ScottK Using Lean techniques to speed First Article Inspection Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
D Software Code Review - Inspection Techniques Used Software Quality Assurance 2
K Variations in Tool Use Techniques and How to Improve Consistency? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T Comparing two different Ultrasonic Tester Calibration Techniques General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
N Statistically Comparing Technician Techniques Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 16
C Improving Small Diameter Cable Length Measuring Techniques - Process Improvement Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
B How 8D is different from DMAIC or other Problem solving techniques Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
kedarg6500 How to write clear & concise Problem Statement when using problem solving techniques? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Y How to handle difficult customer - Improving my communication skill and techniques Service Industry Specific Topics 5
S List of QA (Quality Assurance) Tools and Techniques Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
apestate What tools and techniques are used in paper gaging? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M Statistical techniques for determining which factors are affecting the yield? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
G ISO/TS 16949:2002 - 6.2.2.1 Product Design Skills - Tools and techniques needed Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
S Medical Device Industry Corrective Action Techniques - Is 8D valid method? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
G Statistical Techniques Measureables for Application Development Company Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Statistical techniques in ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K CQE Exam preparation - Help requested - Planning and Control Techniques Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
D Statistical Techniques in Research - Application of 820.250 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B Sampling Questions - Theory behind the use of sampling techniques Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C SPC Techniques - Low volume environment - What can be applied? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
N Problem Solving Techniques - Seeking Information Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
S 21 CFR 820 QSR 820.25 Statistical Techniques Procedures Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S TS 16949 Implementation Kick Off Promotional Techniques?? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
ccochran Customer Satisfaction Book - Techniques, and Formulas for Success Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6