Automation in manufacturing - Print Shop ISO 9001

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hello everybody
I post here this issue because I´m considering ISO 9001.
What I need is your advice, to hear your experiences, pros and cons in this issue.
In a print shop company about 80 employees, and about 50 equipment (printers, folding machines, cutters, etc.)
Currently we manage everything in paper, we use travelers sheets in order to have control on the production about the product, the steps in the manufacturing, names and signatures of releases and so on, in the warehouse we use forms in paper to deliver raw materials to production areas,etc.
Now we plan to automate all the processes by developing an ERP system.
This way, quotations, work orders, traveler sheet, quality inspection, raw material requirements, orders placed to suppliers, shipping, raw material requirements, will exist only in digital format.
The idea is to have a paperless system, I will only have papers where is needed, maybe what is sent to customers, and some other printed papers.
Regarding to ISO, for records, what now is kept in signed printed papers, will be kept into the software, with some signed forms or log files
Could you give me some ideas or tell me about your experiences? and/or recommend me a book or sources for this project?
I´ll appreciate too much your help.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't know of any books. Sources (consultants) are probably plentiful. There have been a lot of good discussions about such software here in the Cove over the years. Utilize the search feature.

My experience with any enterprise level application is, first off, don't believe the hype and don't expect the system to be a silver bullet (solving all your problems).

Second, don't expect to "unwrap the shrink-wrap" and have a fully-functional system. Adaptation takes time and effort. Don't let the tool selection drive your process. Which leads me to my third item.

Third, if you don't understand your processes, you can't properly get the software adapted to your environment. It's best to document your requirements to ensure the ERP solution can even meet your needs. Every ERP vendor will say "yes" but there may well be a sizeable cost to tailor it to your specific needs.

I've seen a number of companies make big investments in tools and launch with much fanfare then the system doesn't fit their needs and there's no real adoption. Get the end users involved in mapping the process, giving input on what could be done better, how automation could help, etc.

Tagin

I would focus on 7.5, especially 7.5.3 Control of documented information. You'll want to be able to show how the ERP system you choose conforms with those requirements.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
There are a lot of print shops that have an MRP system. I don't know just which ones they use, but one of the ones I frequently run across is E2 ShopTech. A google search will also reveal an ERP Directory where they show comparisons of many ERP systems.

It's time to start shopping to find the best fit for you.

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
Moving to paperless should be fine from an ISO perspective. ISO auditors might ask about electronic back-ups and retrival of these electronic records. Some customers might take it a step further and ask you to consider cyber security protocols.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Be aware that ISO9001 and ERP are two totally disconnected things.

You can do one, the other, or both, or neither. They do not interfere with each other, and do not particularly help each other...they are like apples and anxiousness...totally separate things.

That said, I strongly suggest that you tackle one at a time...don't try to launch both at once.
Pick one to do first, break it into bit sized pieces, and move forward. When you're done and comfortable with the finished project, consider starting the second.
If you decide to do both in one big bite, it will likely be a year or two of pure hell that will hurt both your business and your employees.
I did both separately...one at a time...and it hurt enough that way.

ERP launch is a radically painful change for everyone in the organization...I can't even imagine doing ISO launch at the same time, better to just go out of business quickly instead of slowly...
Slow incremental change toward the goal, not open-heart surgery and brain surgery at the same time.

HTH

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Be aware that ISO9001 and ERP are two totally disconnected things.

You can do one, the other, or both, or neither. They do not interfere with each other, and do not particularly help each other...they are like apples and anxiousness...totally separate things.

That said, I strongly suggest that you tackle one at a time...don't try to launch both at once.
Pick one to do first, break it into bit sized pieces, and move forward. When you're done and comfortable with the finished project, consider starting the second.
If you decide to do both in one big bite, it will likely be a year or two of pure hell that will hurt both your business and your employees.
I did both separately...one at a time...and it hurt enough that way.

ERP launch is a radically painful change for everyone in the organization...I can't even imagine doing ISO launch at the same time, better to just go out of business quickly instead of slowly...
Slow incremental change toward the goal, not open-heart surgery and brain surgery at the same time.

HTH
I agree it is difficult if not nearly impossible to do both at the same time. I would like to add though that a good MRP / ERP system really helps manage your ISO 9001 program. For example it can be much easier to track your KPI.

qualprod

There are a lot of print shops that have an MRP system. I don't know just which ones they use, but one of the ones I frequently run across is E2 ShopTech. A google search will also reveal an ERP Directory where they show comparisons of many ERP systems.

It's time to start shopping to find the best fit for you.
Thanks Jim
The app Is home made, we started covering the basic aspects, quotations, raw material inventory, production, creating work orders, but what I'm looking is what are the main o key issues we have to consider.
For example how to have control over equipment availability, people, raw material, one person in sales should have some responsibilities, planning responsible other tasks, maybe to allocate material, warehouse releasing and delivering, updating inventory, people working in production, other responsibilities , invoicing as well, equipment maintenance, finances, and so on.
I mean which are the basics concepts in the processes in an erp system.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
If you're building it yourself, segment by segment...it will be a whole lot easier to go ISO9001 in the middle of it...simply take a pause in ERP segment roll-outs, then pick them back up again after...

FWIW, Filemaker has a remote/encrypted pdf storage function, and you can control edit and access privileges easily for access to them (though it is very difficult to prohibit printing what you see).
I rolled out our ISO document system on Filemaker...it was moderately easy to do, but a good 10hrs a week of maintenance for updating docs and training records.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How many of you are using Robotic process automation for calibration lab management? ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
M How to calculate benefits? Moving some developed non controlled software/automation systems Service Industry Specific Topics 2
optomist1 Aircraft Cockpit Automation - Good or Bad Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 71
Y Excel Automation - Printing Word Documents from within Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 0
C ISO13485 exclusions for design and automation company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Suggestion for QMS platform solution + Business process automation Software Quality Assurance 3
L Laboratory Automation Classification in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
L Laboratory Automation (classified as IVD in EU) Classification in China? China Medical Device Regulations 5
Q Cable Specifications for use in Automation and Electrical Panels Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Software to automate the completion of FAA documents 8130-9 or -3 automation Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 6
O Six Sigma: Service: Automation & Controls Project Management Six Sigma 1
Q Hand processes - How can you error proof human systems with out automation? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
P New Global HQ Suggestions for Virtual manufacturing/own brand labelling of medical devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Manufacturing Execution Systems Software Costs Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
J Control Plan use on the manufacturing floor FMEA and Control Plans 4
S PSW - Requirements for "off-the shelf" component that has multiply manufacturing locations Off the Shelf Item Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing Processes Thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
A ISO 14971 PFMEA Manufacturing Risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H Line Balancing in Backpack Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
DuncanGibbons Resources for aiding in procedure, work instruction and manufacturing plan development and management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
L SAE AS9145 vs. SAE AS6500 (Manufacturing Management Program) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
N Address of Legal Manufacturing Site in ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
V Manufacturing requirements for respiratory ventilators - clean room required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J Guidance on manufacturing non-surgical face masks US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
P Manufacturing equipment (e.g.: Dental Welder): medical device or not? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S Contagious Diseases in Medical Device Manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Z US Manufacturing Site Closing, device manufactured elsewhere Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
L Manufacturing site expansion - When to notify your NB EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Legal Manufacturing Address Change – multiple registrations at same address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N China - Start manufacturing before change approval? China Medical Device Regulations 1
J Manufacturing procedure / work instruction depth ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Looking for China Good manufacturing practice China Medical Device Regulations 1
Watchcat Does 820.30 include the manufacturing process? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Watchcat Does ISO 13485 7.3 include the manufacturing process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
C Design Control - Ways of capturing inputs from manufacturing Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Differences between Manufacturing Process Audit & Layered Process Audit Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
U Manufacturing solutions and keeping records on quality Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Informational TGA presentation: How to submit an effective good manufacturing practice clearance application Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C IATF 16949 8.3 Exclusion - Manufacturing process design and development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G Is ISO 9001:2015 certification worth it for a company that does only contract manufacturing? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14