Automotive Interior Trim - Vibration Standards - Anyone suggest One?

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
HI all,

We are currently developing a product designed to be mounted to an automotive trim panel. I am having a hard time trying to stipulate some vibration requirements that the parts should withstand, as many OEM trim parts we have done before simply do not have vibration requirements stipulated at the part level. This would be done as an assembled set of trim together, usually by the customer.

We are keen to ensure that our new design can withstand the sort of vibration levels experienced with a vehicle interior environment and not start to rattle, squeak or even fall to pieces whilst in the field.

Does anyone know of an OEM specific specification that stipulates vibrations requirements for mounted trim panels? Does anyone indeed have any recommendations? All interior trim specs I have on file from OEMs take all other environmental exposures into account except vibrations!

I have plenty of vibration specs for chassis and body in white mounted parts, but these are a bit extreme! for an interior part.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Hi Harry,

Thanks for that, but I am not sure I could warrant spending too much cash on a collection of specs such as this.

I will try and have a good look around the web again!

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
HI all,

We are currently developing a product designed to be mounted to an automotive trim panel. I am having a hard time trying to stipulate some vibration requirements that the parts should withstand, as many OEM trim parts we have done before simply do not have vibration requirements stipulated at the part level. This would be done as an assembled set of trim together, usually by the customer.

We are keen to ensure that our new design can withstand the sort of vibration levels experienced with a vehicle interior environment and not start to rattle, squeak or even fall to pieces whilst in the field.

Does anyone know of an OEM specific specification that stipulates vibrations requirements for mounted trim panels? Does anyone indeed have any recommendations? All interior trim specs I have on file from OEMs take all other environmental exposures into account except vibrations!

I have plenty of vibration specs for chassis and body in white mounted parts, but these are a bit extreme! for an interior part.

It appears that you're interested in testing the thing you're making independently of it's end use, and that one concern is that it might "fall to pieces." Is it an assembly of some sort? Do you have the requisite test equipment? If so, why not just vibrate it to failure? That would at least give you some basis for a decision as to whether further investigation is necessary. If you don't have the equipment and you're planning on having the testing done by an independent source, that source can help you with the standards as well. In fact, you might want to query some local testing labs regarding the relevant standards, even if you plan on doing the testing yourself.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
It appears that you're interested in testing the thing you're making independently of it's end use, and that one concern is that it might "fall to pieces." Is it an assembly of some sort? Do you have the requisite test equipment? If so, why not just vibrate it to failure? That would at least give you some basis for a decision as to whether further investigation is necessary. If you don't have the equipment and you're planning on having the testing done by an independent source, that source can help you with the standards as well. In fact, you might want to query some local testing labs regarding the relevant standards, even if you plan on doing the testing yourself.

Thank Jim, we do not have the required test facilities in house and the facility we usually use is a bit "give us the requirements and we will test them".

It is a plastic pod on a unique bracket that we have designed. The bracket can mount to a suitable trim panel by way of self tapping screws. It's not OE, but it will be subject to OE requirements, and it is the connection between the pod and the bracket that we are concerned with.

We could test it to failure, but there are many different severities of vibration tests, so I was trying to define the correct severity related to a are mounted on interior trim, as this is subject to much lower vibration than a part mounted on a vehicles chassis! As I am sure you will know.

It is more about the squeak thing really, as we are confident about the thing not falling apart, though there is always the possibility with a new design.

I will take your advice and enquire about requirements from a relevant test house.

Thanks again.

harry

I found out from another source the the NVH (noise,vibration & harshness) specs for the big 3 are as follows:

OEM Specifications:
• General Motors — GM6420M
• Ford — ESB-M6G17-A
• Chrysler — DCX Spec. MS-JZ8-22

I wonder if they contain the details you need.

Top Bottom