Automotive Replacement Parts Market

A

Andrews

Replacement market

We are supplying one part to the replacement market.My question is: How can we agree on the parameters that have to be maintained.Difficulty is that they do not understand drawing or specification.Help required.

T

Tom W

Andrews said:
We are supplying one part to the replacement market.My question is: How can we agree on the parameters that have to be maintained.Difficulty is that they do not understand drawing or specification.Help required.

It sounds as though there is just a misunderstanding or a language issue. I am sure that the part parameters are specific and not "changable" so is appreas that an effort needs to be made to communicate the part parameters in a clear method. To communicate in the perscribed method of the customer.

Maybe some more info might help. Can you explain the situation in more detail? :bigwave:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Andrews said:
I agree with Tom W. It would help if we were sure the "they" who don't understand drawing or specification is
  • the folks at the manufacturer of the replacement part (your organization)
    or
  • the distributors or other customers to whom you sell this replacement part.
I have sometimes run across a similar situation in replacement parts for aircraft where the original certified manufacturer has either abandoned the part or gone out of business entirely. Consider just the case of brake pad replacements for various aircraft. According to FAA rules, an aircraft owner can make his own replacement parts (can't resell - only for use on his own aircraft.)

Some older aircraft have such a tiny market share (how many DC3 aircraft are still flying?), that original equipment manufacturers readily abandon the market. However, they play "dog in the manger" and refuse to give up original drawings and specifications to anyone wishing to take over the market. Owners or would-be replacement manufacturers are forced to reverse engineer from existing parts. They then have to make up their own specifications. Would-be replacement manufacturers face the additional burden of getting FAA certification as acceptable equivalent (a 3 month to one-year process.)

In your case:
Your own organization needs to set production parameters so you can adjust your manufacturing processes for optimum production.

You need to come to agreement with customers over what the acceptance criteria will be for finished product (Contract Review.)

A

Andrews

You need to come to agreement with customers over what the acceptance criteria will be for finished product (Contract Review.)

That is the issue.

The distributors to whom we supply do not understand drawing or specification then how will we agree with them the final parameters of the product.

Andy

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Andrews said:
That is the issue.

The distributors to whom we supply do not understand drawing or specification then how will we agree with them the final parameters of the product.

Andy
This is a doable situation! You haven't told us what the replacement product is. Regardless of product, since it is a "replacement," your organization has the task of demonstrating it has same form, fit, and function of the original equipment. (Perhaps even enhanced function better than original.)

Some ways to make this clear include using simplified drawings, rather than strict engineering drawings. A large part of this clarity would include a sketch showing how your replacement product fits into the original equipment. Highlight the critical dimensions which relate to fit for easy comparison with the original equipment part that your part replaces. Include the name or description of the type of instrument used to measure these critical dimensions (tape measure, yardstick, vernier caliper, micrometer?) Include a suggested inspection routine that will be within the capability of your typical distributor to perform. Include an assembly sketch, showing how the replacement part should be installed and what tools and additional parts may be necessary. If additional parts are necessary to complete installation of your product, consider making a kit of those additional parts available for sale as well as the replacement part. (not everyone has the right size screws in inventory in case one of the original equipment screws gets stripped.)

Above all, the rule of thumb is to anticipate the problems your customer will encounter and devise ways to counter those problems.

Top Bottom