Avatars - Registered Visitor Avatars - What is and isn't allowed

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
A recent controversy has arisen with regard to Registered Visitor avatar content. This is being discussed in the moderator's forum. As of right now, the policy is:

1. No animated avatars. The motion distracts from visitor user experience.
2. No web address or other form of contact in avatar.
3. Company logo for avatar allowed if the Registered Visitor is active in forum discussions. Minimum number of posts may be required -- Possibly a 50 post minimum. Cases of company logos will be decided on a case by case basis as decided by the Moderators.
4. No religious or political avatars.
5. No vulgar or other 'controversial' pictures.​

Other limitations:
a. You must have 10 posts before you can have an avatar.
b. The maximum size of your custom image (avatar is 75 by 75 pixels or 64.0 KB (whichever is smaller). Now and again, some people have trouble getting their picture to fit 75 by 75 pixels. If you do, just ask one of us and we can help.​

Everyone's input, opinions, thoughts here in this thread are appreciated.

Last edited:
U

Umang Vidyarthi

Hi Marc,

I think that the company's logo for Avtar should not be allowed,since this tantamount to advertisement.

/Umang :cool:

Do we have any proscription against using one for an organization of which we cannot afford to be a member? (say the Emperors Club VIP?:notme:)

The prohibitive cost for me is a healthy fear of being a victim of "spousecide" if my spouse ever found out.

Of course, I'm a guy who values his membership in the United States Golf Association as much [maybe more] than my American Society for Quality membership. (At least the USGA gives me a personalized bag tag and golf cap every year for my dues!)

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hi Marc,

I think that the company's logo for Avtar should not be allowed,since this tantamount to advertisement.

/Umang :cool:
I find myself agreeing with Umang here. As a rule, a general guideline, the less "advertising" per se we avoid, the better. I think an avatar should be a picture of you or one of the provided avatars. :2cents:

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
I find myself agreeing with Umang here. As a rule, a general guideline, the less "advertising" per se we avoid, the better. I think an avatar should be a picture of you or one of the provided avatars. :2cents:
In all of this, we have to consider 'legacy' avatars of a few people who have been around for quite a while, and who have been significant contributors with respect to helping people. I think they should be 'grandfathered'.

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Forums cannot be held responsible if someone uses a copyrighted logo / picture (a registered trademark or whatever) as their avatar without proper authorization from the copyright holder.

J

Jimmy the Brit

I think an avatar should be a picture of you or one of the provided avatars. :2cents:
I think this would be a shame - I have used my avatar for several years in different places, it is neither a picture of me or a standard avatar, but I don't believe it contravenes any rules. It is certainly much better looking than a picture of me!

A degree of common sense is called for - nothing offensive, animated, blatantly advertising. I am sure the moderators already use a "moral compass" on this, although it never hurts to have some guidelines in the FAQ.

Jimmy

P

Pudge 72

I would like to think that in this world of frustration and hostility - Tennessee and Chumley give a good belly laugh before the words of the thread are even looked at.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
The instigating discussion was mostly aimed at people with company avatars and how that plays into the forum with respect to 'advertising'.

This isn't a big problem, but the question did come up amongst the moderators last week. The intent is to set a policy. I don't think Tennessee and Chumley, and *most* individual avatars, are an issue.

Top Bottom