Definition Aviation - Definition of

Murphy524

Registered
I am trying to fill out some forms for an upcoming audit and I asked our VP for Military and Aerospace Business to answer what I thought was simple question about our Aviation, Space and Defense customers. The question was "How many customers do we have in the Aviation, Space, and Defense industry?" I was a little surprised when he came back with the following questions "What is the definition of Aviation? Commercial Aviation? FAA regulated?".

The form did not have any definitions and I did not find it defined in the AS9100D standard. The best I could find was part of another the definition on the IAQG website which uses the phrase “aircraft or aviation weapon system”.

I am not sure how to respond to his questions. Thoughts or ideas?

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Aviation is anything to do with aircraft - defense and commercial. The FAA regulates all aspects of civil aviation in the US - they may not be coming to your facility if you're making tools or machining details, but at some point in that product's life, it will fall under FAA regulations. Defense is anything, aerospace or otherwise, where the prime contract is from the DoD.

Aerospace is defined by iaqg here: IAQG Dictionary
1618323294979.png

Top Bottom