Avoiding ISO 9000 Registration - Hiding behind 'Customer Wishes'

A

Andy Bassett

Hiding behind 'Customer Wishes'

I am currently working with a client that wants ISO 9000, but doesnt really want it, if you know what i mean.

They are trying to escape from a lot of requirements, ie Parts marking, Traceability, Inspection etc by saying that if the customers does not want it they do not do it.

It is true that that they are operating in a price sensitive industry, but what do you think? could they escape a lot of the ISO requirements using the defence that the customer does not want it (and the subsequent cost) but still become ISO certified.

Regards

------------------
Andy B

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Most of this is NOT required. Traceability is only required if it's a customer requirement or you just want to do it or maybe if it's an 'industry standard'. As far as insoections, it can be as simple as 'does it work if you plug it in'. It will be hard to justify no inspection whatsoever - they'll start quizzing you about your quality planning.

If you don't need it - don't do it.

A

Andy Bassett

I suppose its all a question of degree. I think there is a little game going on here whereby something is not been done because the customer has not asked for it.

But i can well imagine a scenario where something goes wrong, the customers asks which products have this particular defect, the manufacturer replies that he does not have sufficient traceability systems to say exactly which ones have this problem, and the customer replies in disgust that he thought the manufacturer had a QMS.

All in all i think ill play this one by ear.

Regards

------------------
Andy B

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Take Traceability:

If I injection mold toy soldiers I will probably not have any traceability. What for? What will it gain me? You could argue that the toy soldier is a total lack of traceability. You might argue that you track only bulk materials and that there is no need to track beyond that (no lot number on each soldier, for example).

On the other hand, if I injection mold covers for automotive air bags I will at least indicate manufacturing date (or lot number or other traceable indicator) - aspects such as several tear strip dimensions are critical safety features. If problems are identified we can implement containment.

These are just examples of two traceability situations. Each product and situation has to be considered on its own. ISO does not require traceability. Key words are in bold:

From ISO9001:2000:
--> ...7.5.2 Identification and traceability
-->
--> The organization shall identify, where appropriate, the product by
--> suitable means throughout production and service operations. The
--> organization shall identify the status of the product with respect
--> to measurement and monitoring requirements. The organization shall
--> control and record the unique identification of the product, where
--> traceability is a requirement
(see 5.5.7).

From ISO9001:1994
--> ...4.8 Product identification and traceability
-->
--> Where appropriate, the supplier shall establish and maintain
--> documented procedures for identifying the product by suitable means
--> from receipt and during all stages of production, delivery and
--> installation.
-->
--> Where and to the extent that traceability is a specified
--> requirement
, the supplier shall establish and maintain documented
--> procedures for unique identification of individual product or
--> batches. This identification shall be recorded (see 4.16).

It's a question of being ready to explain why (if / why not) and to what extent traceability is applicable to your product.

As an outsider I could argue that you would want each toy soldier identified for traceabilioty to batch (minimum) because you (as manufacturer) might get a batch of plastic which is (for some far fetched reason) poisonous (or some such reason). But then it goes on down to traceabiliy to lots shipped and could go further. We can all come up with 'what if' scenarios, but let's face it - the company has to come up with a reasoned answer for what it does and does not do.
I suppose its all a question of degree. I think there is a little game going on here whereby something is not been done because the customer has not asked for it.
Well, yes and no. It really depends on the product. Most companies do not add product features unless there is a requirement (design, customer, government or other).

I wouldn't say that traceability is a necessary element of a QMS. Typically you do see some level of traceability (particularly bulk material / lot traceability) - but, as in the toy soldier example, how far? Probably not very.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 14 January 2000).]

A

Andy Bassett

I agree with everything that has been said, i go along with all the business about where appropiate etc.

Its just that at the moment this company has 4 product lines for 2-3 customers, and they have zero incoming inspection, zero in process inspection, zero tracability, and an occassional final inspection which is not recorded in anyway, all becuase they say'the customer has not asked for it'.

If this is all possible, it will be the first time i have come across a company that wishes to be certified, but doesnt really aply any of the ISO elements.

I find myself writing in the manuals,'...becuase company xxxx is a small company reacting to company demands xxxxxx is only done if requested by the customer...' what else can i say? i cannot describe how they might do tracability becuase they simply arent doing it.

Regards

------------------
Andy B

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Yes, they have to do something. The issue of continuous improvement will force them to.

Russ Jackson

Starting to get Involved
Andy, can you name for this board the products or industry involved (toy soldiers, automotive parts, chemicals, etc.)? You may get more useful informtion from someone that has experience in the same industry. In some cases where the customer does not ask or specify something specifically, either your company needs or industry requirements and expectations may have more significant influence on what you do with respect to ID and traceability. The company is doing some form of ID else they would have difficulty in providing the correct products to fulfill a customer order. Traceability is probably much more vague, however.

A

Andy Bassett

Maybe a good suggestion Russ.

The products are Routers or other small similar electronic assemblies.

Does anybody have an experience about how much inspection and traceability you would expect to have for such products.

------------------
Andy B

P

pdboilermaker

Andy:
Although I have no experience in the area of routers, with this client saying we dont need to do this, that, and the other thing it may be a good idea to have them get a letter from their customer stating this and just keep a copy of this in their quality manual for furture reference.

The reason I say this is that an auditor will certinaly question all of these "do not have to do's", if not out loud, certianly in his/her own mind.

What better than a letter from the customer to put your "claims" to doubt.

Just being the devils advocate

M
I'm sorry but I cannot accept "the customer does not want it" as justification for excluding requirements of ISO9001. The only time this is valid is for "traceability", where an order or contract should specify traceability requirements if required. The customer wants relaibility and consistency from a supplier, and this is exactly what ISO9001 sets out to achieve, by having certain controls in place. By default the customer DOES want it. This is why some tender documents require the supplier to be certified to ISO9001 - so they have confidence that they will get what they want, when they want it, NOT to instigate a beaurecratic (I hate trying to spell that word....) paper system.
If the client wants certification to ISO9001/2, then they must comply with the requirements, although this can be achieved in many ways, not neccesarily by wads of procedures.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Avoiding Pitfalls in ISO 9001:2015 Transition - Free webinar Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Claes Gefvenberg ISO 9001: Avoiding Over Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 26
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
P Avoiding an Ultrasound System HIPOT Test during Manufacture IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
L Avoiding Recurrence of the Supplier?s Quality Problems Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
B Avoiding Rust on 410 Stainless Steel Design and Development of Products and Processes 15
C Guidance for avoiding human error Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 24
A Avoiding mixup - Similar parts for two different customers QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C ISO/IEC 17021-1 clause 7.1.2 - Determination of competence criteria Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G ISO 17023 2017-11 - Suggestions for good books ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
B Timeframe for updating QMS / transitioning from ISO 14971:2012 to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
M ISO 9001:2015 and AS6081:2012 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
M FDA News FDA Releases Draft Guidance Clarifying Application of ISO 10993-1 Biocompatibility Standard Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Implementation ISO 9001: 2015 ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Possible to get ISO 13485 certified with only OEM Product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
D Definition of equipment for ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
L Biological Assessment (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M ISO 13485:2016 Complaint Definition Clarity Customer Complaints 2
eule del ayre Documented Information - Periodic Review of Documents? IATF 16949:2016 / ISO 9001:2015 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 34
J ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001 & OHSAS18000 (IMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
G ISO 14001 - 6.1.3 Compliance Obligations ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
K ISO 13485 clause 8.5.2 'Any necessary CA shall be taken without undue delay' ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Aymaneh ISO 11607-1: 2019 main changes Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
G National Structural Steel Specification 7th Edition - Do I now have to be audited against ISO 3843-3 as well as ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L How to understand the clause 6 Planning of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B ISO 8536-4 Contamination Index ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
S Practical Implementation of ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Requirements to obtain ISO 50001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
A ISO 11135:2014, B.1.4, BI resistance x product bioburden ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Getting started in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P ISO 80369 and endoscope port/lumen Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
C ISO 639-1 Languages Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
B ISO 11607-2 "Critical Parameter" vs. "Process Parameter" Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S ECG Cable Banana to Snap or Tab electrode Adapters -- ISO 10993 Requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 0