Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Avoiding Recurrence of the Supplier?s Quality Problems

luciano

Involved - Posts
Avoiding Recurrence of the Supplier’s Quality Problems

Dear friends,

What’s the best way to avoid reoccurrence of the supplier’s quality problems ? I am facing many quality problems for supplied parts. These quality problems overloaded us and of course have a huge impact into the final product, production line efficiency, etc…
In my opinion just the 8D method is not enough, many suppliers send me the answer, I am checking it and send my feedback but unfortunately the problems reappears after a while. I have big doubts that an audit is much more successful (from my experience).
From your experience, what’s your effectiveness preventive /reactive method to avoid reoccurrence and to stabilize the parts quality at the required level
Thank you very much. God bless you.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Avoiding Reoccurrence of the Supplier’s Quality Problems

Dear friends,

What’s the best way to avoid reoccurrence of the supplier’s quality problems ? I am facing many quality problems for supplied parts. These quality problems overloaded us and of course have a huge impact into the final product, production line efficiency, etc…
In my opinion just the 8D method is not enough, many suppliers send me the answer, I am checking it and send my feedback but unfortunately the problems reappears after a while. I have big doubts that an audit is much more successful (from my experience).
From your experience, what’s your effectiveness preventive /reactive method to avoid reoccurrence and to stabilize the parts quality at the required level
Hello Luciano.
Your problems are multifold, and first you have to do your own supplier selection process changes in evaluation and selection.
But, with what is up on your hands, again you have two fold problems.
1. Are your requirements sufficient and clear to your supplier as input ?
2. Are they technically good and strong to meet your input requirements ?
Are they not in depth with the root cause analysis, and you are accepting what ever response they provide, or you are unable to decide if the root cause is valid to make the right parts happen at the supplier. In both these cases the supplies continue along and you see repeats of quality issues.
Go to the supplier with your technical team and threadbare discuss your problems one at a time, and seek workable technical solution, followup with the supplies made and track improvements.

T

tamale

Luciano,

I will tell you what worked for us in a past experience. Our customer,a world class automotive type company audited our quality system.

The mood of the audit was one where the customer was working on greatly reducing his supplier base. That put the pressure on us.

They explained that we needed to put in place a quality system that responded to their needs. They also offered their assistance with any questions or support they could logically give us.

We responded by implementing a quality system based on the audit report and spreadsheet they used when they audited us.

It worked very well.

So my suggestion to you is, use your own quality system requirements, audit them and offer support as mentioned above.

If they respond positively in a timely manner you will have built a strong collaborative relationship. If they respond negatively, perhaps it's time to shop for a new supplier.

Tamale

I

iamtroll

I agree with Somashekar that you have to be sure that your requirements are sufficient and clear. So many times it is not the suppliers fault, when they don't have enought information or the latest and correct information. First challenge yourself honestly to see if you are supporting your supplier before you decide whether or not they need to replaced or assisted to a new level.

On his second point about their strengths, you need to remember that purchasing is usually rewarded for low cost suppliers while quality, engineering and manufacturing usually want the most capable supplier. This is a fine line to balance in most organizations, particularly if a large portion of your assembly is made from purchased parts.

If your suppliers appear to be inadequate for the challenges of your needs, you have to decide whether or not you can help them to grow or you have to replace them. In my experience, nothing is more satisfying than helping a supplier to come up to a new level of competance rather than replacing them. However you and your organization have to be up to that challenge yourself.

Re: Avoiding Recurrence of the Supplier’s Quality Problems

Dear friends,

Did you ever consider the chance of alternative suppliers?
Anther suggestion could be to internally review the process of supplier qualification and monitoring.
Also consider to develop your suppliers in ordert to pursue one of the quality principle: mutual beneficial relationship with suppliers.:bigwave:

D

DrM2u

Re: Avoiding Recurrence of the Supplier’s Quality Problems

Very good advice from all the posters. I'll add my :2cents: also, even with the risk of repeating what has been said. So:
- review your supplier selection criteria; if your first rule is low price, you risk encountering low quality. You can make a case for quality first by presenting the existing situation in terms of costs vs benefits (talk money with the decision makers).
- review your supplier requirements; like others have said, if they are not clear and concise, the supplier will not go the extra mile to exceed your stated expectations (i.e. ask for details or clarification)
- diversify your supplier base; have at least two suppliers for the same part. You will have a backup in case one of them goes under or screws up constantly. Do not forget to give business to both, to keep them active.
- establish a rewards program for your suppliers; reward both good and bad performance. State clearly what happens if the supplier performs well (i.e. more business, better pricing, quicker pay of invoices, etc) and what happens if the supplier performs bad (financial penalties, less business, no business, etc). Make sure that you do not encourage poor performance though.
- establish a partnership with your suppliers; get involved in their problem solving, help them improve. Make sure you maintain your preferential status as a client, though. Their business will grow as they become better, and other customers might take advantage of your work and become prefered customers by increasing work volume.
This is all I have for now, hope it helps. :agree1:

Top Bottom