Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Awesome Technology - What Volkswagen has come up with

M

MIREGMGR

Re: Awesome Technology

So why isn't VW as high in initial quality surveys (i.e. JD Powers) as Porsche, even though they have comparable workers, probably comparable engineers, one and the same top management, and in the case of their shared-design SUV, they're even building substantially the same vehicle?

It can't be price paid. If we reasonably assume that paying 3x as much for a vehicle probably correlates with much less tolerance for any kind of inadequacy, Porsche buyers should be much much fussier. Yet based on their reports, their new vehicles have fewer initial problems than any other brand...and Porsche's factories, while no doubt well engineered, aren't fancy like the new VW works.

Is quality driven more by line speed than by factory engineering? Does building cars more slowly result in better outcomes, even after megabucks worth of efforts to achieve consistency of parts, fits and methods?

If not that, what's the significant difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

Friends,

The advancement of technology is a continual process, but what Volkswagen has come up with at its new plant in Germany is AWESOME. Have a look at the attachment.

Umang :D
Even without dialog, it's plain that this is a far cry from Henry Ford's original conveyor belt assembly line. I am very impressed by the variable position crane which provides access to all parts of the vehicle. Cleanliness is very "WOW-worthy" and gives new benchmarks for "5S"

Thanks for bringing this to us.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Thanx.

just have one word for VW...."WOW" :applause:
It is beyond expression! I am dumbfound.

Even without dialog, it's plain that this is a far cry from Henry Ford's original conveyor belt assembly line. I am very impressed by the variable position crane which provides access to all parts of the vehicle. Cleanliness is very "WOW-worthy" and gives new benchmarks for "5S"

Thanks for bringing this to us.
You are welcome Wes. VW has left even TOYOTA behind. I am attaching pics. of Toyota's plant in Japan.

Attachments

M

MIREGMGR

There are a number of time-proven, industry-wide quantitative measures of automobile quality, oriented by plant or model. The JD Powers Initial Quality Report is one. To the best of my knowledge, VW's ratings have not significantly improved.

It's conceivable of course that their goal was not higher quality, but rather lower production cost...which usually translates to fewer line workers. It's normally considered the case, though, that traditional automation...purpose-built robots that locate a door or a dashboard subassembly just right relative to a chassis that's moving down a conventional assembly line, so that workers don't have to do the heavy lifting combined with precise location...are a much better direction than general purpose robots that flip the car around.

So, did they spend all this money just to create a high wow factor?

My experience, having been in manufacturing all my working life, is that it's a good idea to ignore wow factor and demand measured improvement to justify changes. I wonder what their measures were.

Comparing one factory to another

There are a number of time-proven, industry-wide quantitative measures of automobile quality, oriented by plant or model. The JD Powers Initial Quality Report is one. To the best of my knowledge, VW's ratings have not significantly improved.

It's conceivable of course that their goal was not higher quality, but rather lower production cost...which usually translates to fewer line workers. It's normally considered the case, though, that traditional automation...purpose-built robots that locate a door or a dashboard subassembly just right relative to a chassis that's moving down a conventional assembly line, so that workers don't have to do the heavy lifting combined with precise location...are a much better direction than general purpose robots that flip the car around.

So, did they spend all this money just to create a high wow factor?

My experience, having been in manufacturing all my working life, is that it's a good idea to ignore wow factor and demand measured improvement to justify changes. I wonder what their measures were.
Since EVERY VW is not yet made in this type of factory, any current J D Powers (not my favorite yardstick, by the way) survey doesn't truly reflect results of this factory. Perhaps it might be interesting to see the results for vehicles from just this one factory versus VW's other, less WOW-worthy factories. That would be much more meaningful.

T

True Position

The vehicles that come out of this factory are 100k+ each. When I read about this factory before, if the car is moving clockwise it comes out as a VW Phaeton, if it comes out CCW it's a Bentley.

Top Bottom