SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Babbetting of Bearings - Improper bond between the Bearing shell and the Babbett

S

sarasheed

We are manufacturing Babbeted Bearings used in Steem Turbine & Generatores up to 110MW.In order to reduce the rejection rate due to improper bond between the Shell of the Bearing and the Babbet material,we are designing a experiment with the following parameters.
1.Dehydrogenation treatment for Shell of the Bearing.
2.Surface finish on the Internal Diameter of the Shell.
3.Cleaning of the Shell Internal Diameter.
4.Tinning of the Internal Diameter of Shell
5.Pre-heating of the Shell before babbetting.
The Bond between the Shell & Babbet is checked by U.T(NDT).

I request for the brief method of doing the above and method of ensuring with acceptance norms.

sarasheed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
There may be some experts visiting here in the Cove who can answer this question, but I think we might serve you best by helping you find a website more focused on surface treatments for metals. I'll do some checking in my old files.

In the meantime, anyone got an instant answer or suggestions where else to look?

D

D.Scott

It appears to me Sarasheed is looking for advice on designing an experiment. If that's the case, it doesn't matter what the process is. The determination would have to be made on what type of DOE was required. I see from the post there are 5 factors trying to determine the effect on bond. We would need to know how many levels were in each factor. Without more information, I would think a Factorial ANOVA would probably be the best for the purpose. I would like to know what DOE package they are using as well. There is a small program called DOE KISS that would probably work nicely.

Just some thoughts. Any DOE experts, please jump in with suggestions.

Dave

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
My thought was to borrow ideas from other operations who had already resolved the problem - I detest reinventing the wheel, even to the extent of designing and running experiments, expecially the cost and expense of a full factorial DOE. I recall going through some agonizing efforts in the 70's and 80's, only to discover weeks later (no internet back then for speedy knowledge transfer) that someone had written an article covering exactly the same problem a year earlier and had come to the same conclusion as we did.

D

D.Scott

Good point - there is nothing wrong with some good research before jumping into a complicated experiment.

Dave

B

Baris

Sarasheed, did you get an answer to your question? I have a very similar situation and need to figure out how to handle it...

Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Profilometer Surface Roughness Tester Issue - Ball Bearings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Implementing a Grease Analysis Program for a Pulley Sheave and Motor Bearings Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
T AS9102 FAI - What is a distributor of ball bearings supposed to do? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M DFAR Ball Bearings - DFARS 252.225.7014 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Trepanning Operation for making inner and outer races of bearings Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
somashekar Information sharing: Week 22, 2010 (HARDNESS, THREADS, BEARINGS) The Reading Room 3
A Are bearings part of "Shelf Life" inventory? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 10
M Issuing NCR for improper method statement submissions Internal Auditing 10
B Improper R&R Test? Downdraft Velocity in Automotive Spray Booths Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Flammability: Testing Burn Rate with Improper Sample Size fmvss 302 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Improper Use of Tolerances & SPC Practices, or not? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
J Casting Porosity - Caused by improper machining method/process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 21
J The Red Plague - Improper copper wire coating process causes oxidation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3