SBS - The best value in QMS software

Barcode Scanner IOPQ (Installation/Operational/Performance Qualification) Requirement

S

saisai

hi, All,

Does barcode scanner need IOPQ or just a simple verification for the following case?

1. barcode scanner save the barcode into the server for future traceability, need IOPQ or simple verification?

2. if the barcode scanner is integrated into final inspection station on the line, the barcode will be saved together with the QC data, so barcode scanner need IOPQ or just verification?

thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Barcode scanner IOPQ?

hi, All,

Does barcode scanner need IOPQ or just a simple verification for the following case?

1. barcode scanner save the barcode into the server for future traceability, need IOPQ or simple verification?

2. if the barcode scanner is integrated into final inspection station on the line, the barcode will be saved together with the QC data, so barcode scanner need IOPQ or just verification?

thanks
A verification test would suffice.
You would be better of, if your printed barcode that is scanned is from a good print source and to the right size and standard on a white background, for correct and repetitive accurate scan...

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator

While I don't disagree with Somashekar, I would want to know more about the intended use and the risk if the read fails.

What is the 'throughput' for the scans? If the reader is embedded in a manufacturing system and scans 100 a minute, there could be a risk of getting out of sync. If it's just a manual scan and the operator can confirm a good read each time, probably low risk.

I would suggest a (documented) risk assessment to drive your decision. The verification Somashekar recommends may well be appropriate; but without the risk assessment, you really haven't justified your approach.

G

gzmrxm

Re: Barcode Scanner IOPQ (Installation/Operational/Performance Qualification) Require

Hello guys, I apologize for the intrusion. I am actually working on a OQ validation for bar code scanners and have certain doubts. These scanners will definitely present a potential risk for our customer since they are used for the packaging process in a medical device; so my question is: What parameters should I challenge here? Would a software validation be enough?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Jorge

Sam Lazzara

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Barcode Scanner IOPQ (Installation/Operational/Performance Qualification) Require

Is it a barcode scanner (reader) or a barcode verifier?
Also, whatever it is, please provide the manufacturer and model number so I can offer better advice. The absolute minimum control should be to enter it into your equipment calibration/maintenance system with periodic checks for ability to accurately read the barcode style(s) you use. You will need a "standard" for this like the "test cards" provided by GS1, for example.
http://productcatalog.gs1us.org/Store/tabid/86/List/1/CategoryID/4/Level/a/Default.aspx

For verifiers, there is typically a reflectance calibration performed using a black/white calibration standard provided by the verifier manufacturer. Also, to determine conformance with the ISO/ANSI barcode verifier standards you need to use a "test card" typically sold by the barcode issuing agencies (such as GS1 for example).

From Wikipedia:
Barcode verification examines scanability and the quality of the barcode in comparison to industry standards and specifications. Barcode verifiers are primarily used by businesses that print and use barcodes. Any trading partner in the supply chain can test barcode quality. It is important to verify a barcode to ensure that any reader in the supply chain can successfully interpret a barcode with a low error rate. Retailers levy large penalties for non-compliant barcodes. These chargebacks can reduce a manufacturer's revenue by 2% to 10%.[24]

A barcode verifier works the way a reader does, but instead of simply decoding a barcode, a verifier performs a series of tests. For linear barcodes these tests are:

Edge Determination
Minimum Reflectance
Symbol Contrast
Minimum Edge Contrast
Modulation
Defects
Decode
Decodability

2D matrix symbols look at the parameters:

Symbol Contrast
Modulation
Decode
Unused Error Correction
Fixed (finder) Pattern Damage
Grid Non-uniformity
Axial Non-uniformity[25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode

G

gzmrxm

Mr. Lazzara,

Your advice was very complete and It opened my eyes on this matter, I had no thought to check the calibration system.Thanks a lot!

Just to asnwer to your initial questions:

Our barcodes scanners are readers. The brand is BANNER models: IVUPRBR04 and IVUPRBR08.

So I am writing this OQ protocol and there's a section where I have to fill the parameters that have to be challenged, so ...do you think I should answer: "The parameters are going to be the calibration requirements of the barcode scanner"

Thank you very much

I

IVD_RA

Hi Somasker,

Do you aware of regulatory requirements pertaining to barocde scanner? I am aware of laser requirements. On the FDA site, they listed for class II laser product( our barcode scanner is class II laser product), manufaturer needs to follow under 21 CFR 1000 to 1005. can anyone help?

I

IVD_RA

HI Lazzara,

can you help me to identify regualatory requirements associated with barcode reader? the model no is KDC350. we are getting this product from supplier and having our own company name on barcode scanner as distributor. any help is appreciated.

Sam Lazzara

Trusted Information Resource

The best source for bar code reader regulatory requirements should be the manufacturer.
It is not a medical device I don't believe so I am a little out of my main area of expertise.
If you look at the manufacturer's spec sheet (attached to this post) it mentions regulatory compliance for laser safety and EMC.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Calibration of Barcode Scanner General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
W Flic barcode scanner - How to import into Microsoft Suite? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C Barcode Labelling - Mistake Proofing Ideas & Systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
K Identification and Traceability with an ERP system - Barcode Labels? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Relabeling or Not Relabeling - Adding our internal Part Number barcode label 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C UDI Label Verification - How do we ensure the barcode is correct and prove it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S GS1 (Barcode) Adoption for suppliers to the NHS Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
M UDI (barcode, datamatrix) Verification Solutions Other US Medical Device Regulations 21
I UDI requirements vs Japanese Barcode Marking guideline Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
L Are there any requirements to define barcode requirements ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
smryan Seeking good 2D barcode add-in for Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
A Barcode Inventory System Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Barcode Registration Requirements for Japan and GUDID Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
W Where to apply a Class I Medical Device Barcode in Canada Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
Sam Lazzara Medical Device Barcode Pros and Cons: GS1 versus HIBC Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
Q ISO standards that requires a Barcode to be placed on a product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Barcode Traceability System - GS1 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
thisby_ Medical Device with Barcode - How to label it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
chris1price Medical Device Labelling Regulatory Requirements - Barcode Formats ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Barcode Format Question - Variable vs. Fixed Segment Length Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
M UID - Unique identification Labels - 2D Data Matrix - Next Generation Barcode Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
R PolyWorks Scanner and Software Training (Lansing, MI area) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q EU Regulations for OTS and System (Monitors and Scanner) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P White Light vs. Laser Scanner - Investing in a 3d Scanner Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
J Method to determine the Uncertainty of the readings of a Laser Scanner Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
E Blade Inspection - Does anyone use blade scaning software for a CMM or laser scanner? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
F AMADA Fabrivision Scanner: Software Drivers Software Quality Assurance 5
R Flat Panel Laser Scanner Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
sagai In Vitro Scanner Device (IVD) FDA Classification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C 3D Measurements with Camera (scanner) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
S How to calibrate AOI (Automated Optical Inspection) for IOPQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3