Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Is anyone else in the group familiar with barcode verifiers? I was recently directed to purchase one for our company (to supplement our barcode scanners) but nobody really thought out what we were going to use it for, or how. I have some ideas, and wanted to run them past someone who has already gone through this. Anyone?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ron Rompen

Thanks Al. I know what they are used for (grin), but I am looking at developing a useful approach in utilizing it. Just to give a broad outline of my thought process:
We have 7 laser markers, which mark a variety of parts with a 2D matrix (AIM DPM standard). After marking, each part is immediately graded (using a standalone grading camera) to ensure it meets customer requirement (Grade C or better)
My thought is to use the verifier to validate the grading camera values. If I sample (for example) one part from each grading camera each week, and compare the results (grading camera vs verifier) I can demonstrate that my grading camera does (or does not) accurately assess the grade of a given 2D matrix.
In addition, if I track the various reported values (as read by the verifier) I can detect shifts/degredation in the overall quality of the 2D matrix off a given camera.
Has anyone had any experience in the above, and if so, did it yield any useful information? Is there a 'better way' to approach this?

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ron, in essence the verifier will be your master standard and the cameras will be the working standards. I don't know what your volume is, but "verifying" each camera each week seems a bit much. I guess after you have some history, you can reduce the frequency.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
I'm only familiar with a "verifier" being the device that gives a letter grade to the 2D UID matrix after it is printed, looking at parameters (going from memory here) like fixed pattern damage, contrast, etc.

The other device was a "reader" that would just output the HRI from the MRI but not give a grade.

The "camera" as a 3rd type of device I am not familiar with.

greif

Involved In Discussions
Your approach is good- you will want to adjust the frequency after you have done it a few weeks (may need less, if all is stable). You will find certain parameters are the tight ones. Contrast is a biggie for both 2D and 1D codes.
If you need a traceable barcode standard (traceable grading of various 1D and 2D symbols), they are available at appliedimage.com.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Identification and Traceability with an ERP system - Barcode Labels? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Relabeling or Not Relabeling - Adding our internal Part Number barcode label 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C UDI Label Verification - How do we ensure the barcode is correct and prove it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
SteveK GS1 (Barcode) Adoption for suppliers to the NHS Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
M UDI (barcode, datamatrix) Verification Solutions Other US Medical Device Regulations 21
I UDI requirements vs Japanese Barcode Marking guideline Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
L Are there any requirements to define barcode requirements ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
smryan Seeking good 2D barcode add-in for Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
A Barcode Inventory System Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Barcode Registration Requirements for Japan and GUDID Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
W Where to apply a Class I Medical Device Barcode in Canada Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
Sam Lazzara Medical Device Barcode Pros and Cons: GS1 versus HIBC Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
Q ISO standards that requires a Barcode to be placed on a product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Barcode Scanner IOPQ (Installation/Operational/Performance Qualification) Requirement Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
K Barcode Traceability System - GS1 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
thisby_ Medical Device with Barcode - How to label it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Calibration of Barcode Scanner General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
chris1price Medical Device Labelling Regulatory Requirements - Barcode Formats ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Barcode Format Question - Variable vs. Fixed Segment Length Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
M UID - Unique identification Labels - 2D Data Matrix - Next Generation Barcode Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
W Flic barcode scanner - How to import into Microsoft Suite? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
G UID Compliance Verifier Calibration Test Card Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Performer, Verifier, Reviewer & Approver Signatures on a Quality Record US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
F Standard Calibration Procedures: Recommended Practice ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Crimpshrine13 Calibration of pH Meter Probe Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4