Bare Bones/Under the Radar ISO9001:2015

Brian Hunt

Involved - Posts
I'm working for a UK property company that is growing organically and by acquisition. Business processes, training, responsibilities and accountabilities are in a mess and ISO9001/Quality is a dirty word.

I'm working as a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, but am also an ex Quality Manager and Manufacturing Engineer. I'm working with their procurement function and can see how a business management system using the fundamentals of ISO9001:2015 would be a major benefit. I'll plan how to sneak that in - but any comments and advice on doing this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Hi, Brian. I'd emphasise the need to manage risk in a time of growth and change. The need for clear accountabilities and delegated authority. A simple 'who does what' that is reviewed with responsibilities reallocated if someone moves on is a great start. You can then start to bring in the 'if we mapped this out it will be easier to get someone up and running quicker' piece and don't worry too much about the document control / objective setting piece until people see the value of what you are doing.

Don't forget to let people know when your 'system lite' saves time / effort / cost.

I'll plan how to sneak that in - but any comments and advice on doing this would be appreciated.
Yeah, what Paul said, and there is no need to sneak it in, really: Just say that "This is how I want things done, but any suggestions are welcome". There is no need to mention that ISO 9001 is lurking in the background, is there? :cool:

Brian Hunt

Involved - Posts
Thanks Paul, that's a good summary of the key points. Hi Claes, ISO and quality are dirty words here and I'm an interim - so this has to be covert!

Ian_Morris

Involved In Discussions
Hi Paul,

I have had experience of introducing and maintaining ISO9001 in professional service organisations where it is poorly perceived due to previous poor implementation and management resulting in a checkbox culture that is seen as not adding value and preventing work.

In these situations I have found that the best way is to engage in debate and explain all the reasons that their negative perception of ISO9001 is wrong and how it works, starting with ISO9001 doesn't tell them what they need to do to carry out their work, as this is done by laws, regulations and contractual requirements.

I then work with them to understand why they do each element of the process and focus on what the outputs and controls are so that they are carried out and maintained - simple process management really and all consistent with ISO9001.

In your situation, I would introduce the system for procurement, using the 9001 for your framework, without mentioning that the standard is the source.

Once it is up and running and the new process and controls are improving the effectiveness of the supply chain, I would share how everything fits within the requirements of ISO9001 and start the revolution from there.

Hope this helps.

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
Brian - first step is to ascertain WHY there is associated negativity. As soon as you are settled in try a few Force Field analysis exercises to determine where the opposites are and who is the leverage behind them, then tailor your approach to target the cause of the negativity to the most leveraged personnel behind it.
This works pretty well in these cases, although if you are the 'new guy' beware of unseen connections behind the leveraged people. Sometimes the person you least suspect wields the most influence! I adjust the FFA frequently to accounts for these discovered 'relationships'.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Paul, that's a good summary of the key points. Hi Claes, ISO and quality are dirty words here and I'm an interim - so this has to be covert!
"Common Sense", "Logical", "Responsible", "Safety and job security", "Doing it right more often".
These are terms that seem safe...and pretty much mean the same thing...aspect by aspect.

:2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kmyers Implementing ISO 9001 - I need it all! Please tell me the bare bones! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
B Request: Bare Bones ISO9k2k DESIGN procedure and Forms - Metal Stamping (small) Design and Development of Products and Processes 16
F Regulatory Compliant Quality Management System - Bare Minimum EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Companies that offer to help you get certification only give you the bare minimum ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
R Labelling Requirements - Bare minimum Class I Medical Device Instrumentation EU Medical Device Regulations 5
H Digging Up Bones - Inspector Retrieving Very Old Inspection Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Is Device Tracking Card an actual requirement under FDA regulation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
H Incomplete IVD kit under IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T API Q1 - Will I be able to maintain Q1 if I have products that fall under 6A Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
W Issuing reports under ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Annex XVI Device Transition Timeline under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Medical Device Classification under MDR - Rule 21 EU Medical Device Regulations 11
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R Breast Pump under MDR classified as medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
E Under MDR is a medical workstation a medical device or an accessory? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
E Can we still use MEDDEV 2.4/1 rev. 9 when classifying a medical device product under MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Sterility and Bioburden Testing - LAL passed under 0.5EU/mL Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
A EAR costs and recommendations under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 2797 BSI Group The Netherlands B.V. Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 1912 – DARE!! Services B.V. – Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Is my device a Reusable Surgical Instrument under the EU MDR(2017/745)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Accredited laboratory or not under MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
M Informational BSI UK notified under the IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M EU MDR - Annex II 3b - What documents fall under this requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Label Content Requirements under MDR regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational EU – New designated Notified Body under the MDR – TÜV Rheinland LGA Products GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Providing Regulatory Submissions for Medical Devices in Electronic Format – Submissions Under Section 745A(b) of the Federal F Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational From RAPS – Novartis Inhaler is First Device to be Certified Under MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Trend Reporting under the EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Device CE certified under MDD / MDR > new GTIN? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Informational EU – DEKRA Certification GmbH is the third Notified Body designated under the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Watchcat Four NBs now designated under the MDR - August 2019 EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Informational Update – MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – 2 more NBs designated under the new regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ronen E Interesting Discussion Interesting view of EU Authorised Representative under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
V CE Mark under MDD or IVDR - IVD company doing Virtual Manufacturing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
Kuldeep Singh Mandatory Documents for EU authorized Representative under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
C What falls under the 'Customer Property' according to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10