Basic Fundamentals of Quality - Total Quality Management

B

Bill Pflanz

I had this crazy moment a couple of years ago when I thought writing a quality book would be fun. I started it at the same time that I taught a quality management class as an adjunct professor for a local college in the evening. After starting one chapter on the history of quality I realized it was going to be more work than I had time for.

I have attached a Word document of what I started and would appreciate some comments on whether it would be of any interest.

Thanks
Bill Pflanz

Attachments

• Basic Fundamentals of TQM.doc
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,177

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
This is a great overview of the historical antecedants to modern concepts of Quality. As it stands, it could be slightly restructured as a stand-alone handout for Quality "newbies" and executives alike. I might quibble about adding "Red Beads" to the Deming segment.

If you find the time to proceed on a book using this as an opening, give me a call and I might be able to steer you to some style books to help you tighten the organization so you can have a steady progression from history to current practice to your "vision" for the future. You might be able to go into digressions about Standards organizations, government regulations, and the difference between real quality initiatives and "flavor of the month."

At some point, you'll have to step up and make the transition from reporter of other people's activities to an initiator of your own theories about incorporating quality into an organization to set your book apart.

A lot of our published authors here in the Cove will tell you publishers frequently have guidelines and formats to follow which experience tells them makes a more readable product. Most of these are mere mechanics and extremely easy to adapt with modern word processing software.

Good first outing, Bill!

C

Craig H.

Bill:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

If I may echo one of Wes' points, why not extrapolate from what you have there, and our current state, and predict where quality is going in the next decade or two? That would be an interesting stand-alone article in its own right.

B

Bill Pflanz

Wes Bucey said:
This is a great overview of the historical antecedants to modern concepts of Quality. As it stands, it could be slightly restructured as a stand-alone handout for Quality "newbies" and executives alike.

The newbies and, if interested, executives were the intended targets.

Wes Bucey said:
If you find the time to proceed on a book using this as an opening, give me a call and I might be able to steer you to some style books to help you tighten the organization....

The opening was a rough draft and I know I can use the help. There may be others interested in your style books so I would like for you to post your recommendations here. I still may take your offer on personal help so stay available.

Wes Bucey said:
help...have a steady progression from history to current practice to your "vision" for the future. You might be able to go into digressions about Standards organizations, government regulations, and the difference between real quality initiatives and "flavor of the month."

Both you and Craig would like to see me predict where quality is going in the next decade or two. That may a possibility for a new thread. Let me give it some thought and I will get it started.

Although I never finished the introduction, my next section was on the various flavors of the month. The intent was to show how these "new concepts" in quality had their basis in the history of quality and evolutionary not revolutionary. IMHO, the early pioneers, especially Shewhart, were the revolutionists who created the modern quality movement.

Wes Bucey said:
At some point, you'll have to step up and make the transition from reporter of other people's activities to an initiator of your own theories about incorporating quality into an organization to set your book apart.

:agree1: Can't argue with your comment. My postings in the Cove reflect some of those theories, I just need to organize them. I also need to find a marketing gimmick and slick name like Six Sigma, Kaizen, TQM, Lean etc. to sell the book.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bill Pflanz

J

Jim Howe

It is, as others have already posted, a nice summary of quality history that might best be served as a overview to Quality Basics 101. But to be perfectly honest I am not that thrilled about reading "dates", I know it cannot be avoided in a history article and I love history just not the dates. On the plus side the bullited approach to the article helped to offset the dates. I would very much be interested in the flavors of the month article!

P

pawel.lang

Dear Bill,

Ive read your article very carefuly. I must confess, that I foud it useful for my own article about quality systems in automotive industry.

I must also say, that there are some parts of it, that may be not completly true. For instance based on my resources: Sun Zi lived 400-320 and not as you say 480-221. So please check the dates.

And also I think you forget to mention very important Hammurabi's Buildig Law (1792-1750 b.c.) famous "eye for eye"?

I will post my own article in german and polish language at the end of this month, so you can compare it with your (no plagiarism :D).

Anyway, I find it useful for beginners. Go on!

P

pawel.lang

I've forget to say that in your article you do not mention on which basis you say that and that. Mainly just one source per paragraph is enough. Then the acessement of your article could be more precise.

B

Bill Pflanz

Pawel,

Sorry for not responding but I have been on vacation (or holiday if that is the term you use) and am still catching up on a lot of things.

First you commented on a date problem but you referenced Sun Zi and I referred to Sun Tsu. We may be talking about different individuals.

Due to your other question about not providing enough references, I will need to look at my document again. Without knowing which lines you are referring to I guess it is possible that my personal assessment or evaluation of the quality leaders and methodologies could be in the article.

When I started writing it, my intent was not to find all of the possible quality leaders and methodologies and write a detailed history book. This first chapter was an introduction to quality that would eventually be followed by chapters on how I saw quality applied either through personal experience or the experiences of others.

Preciseness may be in the eyes of the reader on whether they agree with my assessments.

Not too many of us know Polish or German. I don't think my two years of German study in school will help so you may need to translate your article into English if you post. Good luck on your effort.

Bill

P

pawel.lang

Bill Pflanz said:
Pawel,

Sorry for not responding but I have been on vacation (or holiday if that is the term you use) and am still catching up on a lot of things.

You schouldnt be sorry but happy. Or your vacation was not so nice that I think it was? ;-D

Bill Pflanz said:
First you commented on a date problem but you referenced Sun Zi and I referred to Sun Tsu. We may be talking about different individuals.

This is the same person. Or so the current sources say. Some old books say, that it might be more than one general, but the latest discoveries about Sun Tsu/Sun Zi disagree with that thesis.

Bill Pflanz said:
Not too many of us know Polish or German. I don't think my two years of German study in school will help so you may need to translate your article into English if you post.

So I will look forward for your corrections of my article :D if Ill manage to write it in english :confused:

And last. It's not that I want to argue with your accesment or evaluation :truce: . Just to help. I hope you' find my posts usefull.

Pawel

Top Bottom