Basic questions about AS9100C Quality Standard Requirements

Q

qarep

Friends

Its nice to be a part of this wonderful forum of knowledge where views are exchanged, knowledge shared and information provided.

I am a part of the organization that produce and supply components for avaition industries.We decided to persue for AS9100 certification. While going through the standards there were few queries :

4.1 General requirements

The organization shall

1: determine the processes needed for the quality management system and their application throughout the organization.
b) determine the sequence and interaction of these processes.
c) determine the criteria and methods needed to ensure that both the operation and control of these processes are effective.
d) ensure the availability of resources and information necessary to support the operation and monitoring of these processes.
e) monitor, measure where applicable and analyse these processes.
f) implement actions necessary to achieve planned results and continual improvement of these processes

Questions:

1. How should i demonstrate the processes needed by the qms and their application throughout the organization.

I have prepared the matrix which highlights the process involved,associated procedures,Input,Output,Process Measures and the targets defined. Is this the right way or are there any alternates. I am planning to include this matrix as a appendix in procedure document.

2. How should i demonstrate the availability of resources and information necessary to support the operation and monitoring of these processes ?

Appreciate all the inputs from forum members.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Friends

Its nice to be a part of this wonderful forum of knowledge where views are exchanged, knowledge shared and information provided.

I am a part of the organization that produce and supply components for avaition industries.We decided to persue for AS9100 certification. While going through the standards there were few queries :

4.1 General requirements

The organization shall

1: determine the processes needed for the quality management system and their application throughout the organization.
b) determine the sequence and interaction of these processes.
c) determine the criteria and methods needed to ensure that both the operation and control of these processes are effective.
d) ensure the availability of resources and information necessary to support the operation and monitoring of these processes.
e) monitor, measure where applicable and analyse these processes.
f) implement actions necessary to achieve planned results and continual improvement of these processes

Questions:

1. How should i demonstrate the processes needed by the qms and their application throughout the organization.

I have prepared the matrix which highlights the process involved,associated procedures,Input,Output,Process Measures and the targets defined. Is this the right way or are there any alternates. I am planning to include this matrix as a appendix in procedure document.

2. How should i demonstrate the availability of resources and information necessary to support the operation and monitoring of these processes ?

Appreciate all the inputs from forum members.

Thanks
qarep,

To determine the processes needed by your management system you can analyze your organization's core process for converting the needs of customers into cash in the bank. You may question why invoicing is part of a QMS but I would refer you to the resources necessary to operating and improve the management system (6.1).

Document your analysis in a swim lane flowchart. Your matrix may achieve the same thing but will not be pictorial and easy for others to review. And it is very important to engage your colleagues in developing their management system so it helps them to determine and meet requirements.

Analyze your core process for each type of product at the organizational level showing its interaction between customers and suppliers. This determines the key processes in your core process. It also shows the sequence and interaction of key processes in your core process.

Then you can determine the processes that sustain and improve the core process. You can deduce these from the management system standards and from your common sense. For example, the standards specify controlling documented information, but do not specify the need for a recruiting process and you know this process is important to your organization. Likewise for promptly paying suppliers of conforming goods and services so you can build mutually beneficial relationships with them.

Your other question concerns me:

How should i demonstrate the availability of resources and information necessary to support the operation and monitoring of these processes?

It suggests to me that you are documenting evidence of conformity to the standard (as if you are applying for a quality award) instead of understanding and developing the management system that actually runs your organization.

If you analyze each of your organizational management system's key processes (at the job title level) you will find they are sufficiently resourced or the process owner will want to invoke corrective action. So, your colleagues do this as you work with them to develop, use, improve and audit their management system.

In developing your organization's process-based management system you will be informing everyone what the organization does to determine and meet customer requirements.

I've extracted this from our people>processes>system methodology used and improved since 1986.

I hope this helps,

John

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Take a look at ISO 9004, which has details as to how to CREATE a quality management system.

AS9100C and related standards are documents for the EVALUATION of a quality management system, not for the development of one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Basic Risk based thinking questions Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 5
P Basic questions about earning TSOA (Technical Standard Order Authorization) and PMA Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
F ISO 9001:2008 Fundamentals: Basic Questions - Controlled Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M SPC, Moving Range Chart and Weighted Graph Basic Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A ISO 27000 (Information Security Management Systems {ISMS}) Basic Questions IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 8
M Basic Gage R&R Sample Questions APQP and PPAP 22
C ISO 9001 CB Auditors - What are their basic questions General Auditing Discussions 22
E Basic questions regarding Nuclear Quality Assurance standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 15
K NCR (Nonconformance Report) - Basic questions - When should an NCR be filled out? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Q NCR, Containment Action, CAR - Some Basic Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
P Help With Basic Minitab Questions! Using Minitab Software 6
H Basic questions about Installation, Operational & Performance Qualification - PCBA Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
S Basic questions about FMEA - Opinions please FMEA and Control Plans 7
S Basic PFMEA (Process Failure Mode Effects and Analysis) Questions FMEA and Control Plans 22
R Basic Quality Manual Questions Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
C ISO 14001 Requirements - Three Basic Questions Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M Brand owner or manufacturer responsible for Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Help with basic understanding of Competence requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A GMDN Registration Basic preliminary Information EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Basic UDI and technical documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C NB approval - Basic question about Notified Bodies and their role EU Medical Device Regulations 10
B Seven Basic Quality Tools (January 23) [Paid] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
rezayatmand IEC 60601-2-18 Medical electrical equipment - Part 2-18: Particular requirements for the basic safety and essential performance of endoscopic equipmen IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
B Evaluation of Basic Safety during EMC Immunity or Climate Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
A What is the difference between Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J How to measure a Critical Characteristic that is a Basic Dimension Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
M EU Basic UDI-DI Trigger Points - When is a new Basic UDI-DI required EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational EU – MDCG 2018-1 v2 Guidance on basic UDI-DI and changes to UDI-DI Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F MDR 2017/745 Basic UDI-DI, UDI-DI & UDI-PI EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L Unacceptable risk for basic safety prior to or after mitigation? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
N EU MDR Basic UDI-DI and Technical Documentation for Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 22
S Question about a basic additive variance/tolerance example Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
M Medical Device News EU – MDCG 2019-1 MDCG guiding principles for issuing entities rules on Basic UDI-DI Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
S Basic Dimension W/O using FCF Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
V Carbon Black (Master Batch) - Basic Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Basic Minitab Help - It's about Linear Regression Using Minitab Software 1
L Lean Book for Basic Knowledge Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
L Seeking help in Basic Maintenance Knowledge Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M "Basic Safety" versus "Essential Performance" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
M Use of Excel and VBA (visual basic for applications) in quality systems Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
J Excel spreadsheet to use Basic and Mini MOST for Line Balancing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T How to report Basic Dimensions on a Dimensional Report (ISIR) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A Basic ISO 13485 Training Material ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Basic Dimensions on Machining Prints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Basic International Standards required for a Manufacturing Industry (Optical Media) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
L How to set up a basic electronic test equipment calibration laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Rejecting a Part when Dimension Feature is Basic Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3