Batch Traceability for Bulk Materials which are mixed in the Storage Tank

S

scatalbas

Hello,

How can we manage traceability for bulk materials which are mixed in a storage tank ? ( Raw materials are transferred by tank ship and get into storage tank )

Normaly,we give a batch number to every batches when they come. Every batch is controlled when in the tank ship, if it is ok, it is get into tank. Generally, we have to get new batch into tank before finishing the previous batch. So, when I produce a product, product include mixed batches not one batch. In this case, my process order doesn't show traceability exactly.

One way is to give a new batch number to mixed solution,but, it causes double work. Is there any easy way to manage traceability ? How are your solutions ?

Best regards,
Sema

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hello,

How can we manage traceability for bulk materials which are mixed in a storage tank ? ( Raw materials are transferred by tank ship and get into storage tank )

Normaly,we give a batch number to every batches when they come. Every batch is controlled when in the tank ship, if it is ok, it is get into tank. Generally, we have to get new batch into tank before finishing the previous batch. So, when I produce a product, product include mixed batches not one batch. In this case, my process order doesn't show traceability exactly.

One way is to give a new batch number to mixed solution,but, it causes double work. Is there any easy way to manage traceability ? How are your solutions ?

Best regards,
Sema
Don't you qualify the process when there is a change , for instance, of a bottle containing chemical when it is finished? Is it a continuous flow?
:bigwave:

harry

One way is to give a new batch number to mixed solution,but, it causes double work. Is there any easy way to manage traceability ?
Considering that you are dealing with 'bulk' materials, why do you want to manage traceability beyond the incoming stage? Are there specific requirements such as those from customers, your own organization or legislation?

qusys

it is a continuous flow.
I would have imagined so. This is a communality in process industry such as seminconductor, pharmaceutical, chemical etc..
My suggestion is to provide a qualification of the process when there is a change of the bottle , even though there is always a certain residue inside pipeline and tube of the previous material.
Based upon an FMEA and analitical studies, I have seen that some organizations proceed in this way.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

S

scatalbas

In fact, I wonder, how you define batch/lot identification if the raw material(s) feed into storage tank(s) continuously ? I think, the batch during the incoming stage does not represent the batch in the storage tank, since it contains more than one batch. ( We cannot wait before feeding new batch until completely finished in the tank, because we have only one tank. )
For example, I have a storage tank with the capacity 22 m3 for XXX material. Now, it has 5 m3 inside. Today, 15 m3 XXX is bought from a supplier. Before feeding the tank, we took a sample from tank ship and controlled. Then, we fed into storage tank. Incoming records /batch no are created for the incoming batch. Now, the storage tank contains 5 m3 old batch and 15 m3 new batch. So, if I produce a product today what is the real batch no of raw material(s) used in the production ?
If, the process order contains less than or equal to 5 m3 XXX, according to FIFO, we will see old batch’s no in the process order. In my opinion, it is not true, because the product contains mixed batches. Moreover, we can say that new batch is more effective than the old because of mixing ratio. If, I have more than one approved suppliers, it can be more complicated incase of any problem/complaints. ( Ok, they all checked in the incoming step, but if we missed some points ? )
So, I would like to learn how you manage traceability in such cases ? What is the logic of batch identification for storage tanks ?

Best regards,
Sema

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Policy or Good Guidance for a Traceability Decision Tree (Serial and Batch Numbers) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M Medical Device Outsourcing Batch Traceability Requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
C Traceability without Working Order - Batch to One Piece Flow AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
E Commercial batch size Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
B EO Production Batch Failure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Eva lee Which is the range for the validated batch size(for example ±5%, 10%) is acceptable? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D Question on electronic signatures and initials on batch records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A % of defects on the whole batch based on result from inspection under AQL Level II Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P How to measure DPPM in Chemical batch manufacturing Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S Conformity of 1 batch vs other Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
P Informational SPC in Batch Processing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E Use of OQ cleared batch for stability and clinical study use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
G Batch printing reports in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
S Retained samples from each batch of spinal implant medical screws that we make ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Change value of target during a batch Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 0
Q Release of the first batch of a cleared product before process validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I Lot or Batch definition for IVDs Imported Legacy Blogs 0
V Paint batch approval procedure for automotive industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Batch record supersedes all other instructions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Carbon Black (Master Batch) - Basic Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
P Root Cause for a Process Validation Batch Failure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V GRR Study on a Finished Product - Batch Manufacturing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Test Method Validation or MSA for Batch Manufacturing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
V Systems to Handle Development and Batch Analysis in same Laboratory Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
V Is 'Compliance' a pre-requisite or is it ok before Batch Release to Market? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V Purchasing Controls - Prerequisites for Batch Release or even before Purchase Order 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Looking for templates of Master Production Record and Master Batch record Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
C Suggestions requested on handling batch record papers exposed to hormonal products Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
P "Bayer" Black Resin vs. Master Batch Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
shimonv Using sterilization data obtained from batch release for CE submission EU Medical Device Regulations 11
V Batch Chromatography API - Blending of Batches Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
I Run a batch every year to revalidate the validated condition? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
S Annex II List A - Notified Body Fees - Design dossier review and batch release EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Annex II List A IVDs - Batch Verification Process EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H Extra checks to do when reviewing the batch records for release of products Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
S Requirement(s) for Fireproof Cabinets for Storing Batch Records US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D Chemical batch compounding software for lotions and solutions Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I Batch Numbering for medical tape EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A SPC for Single Batch Nickel Plating Process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Mix between two Tablets Batch of the same Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Medical Device Batch Record Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K Production Batch Documentation based on Filling Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Q Batch Tracebility for Material Certificates Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
S When to give a new Batch Number for a reworked batch ? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
N Statistical Quality Improvement Action for Small Batch Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
I Minimum and Maximum Validation Batch Size Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
K Class Ins CE Mark Labeling Requirements (particularly Lot or Batch symbol and number) EU Medical Device Regulations 7