BCP (Business Continuity Plan) Call Tree

Hi everyone! I'm just wondering if using group chats can replace the traditional call tree drill where information will be shared via phone calls. In this day and age, most companies are using group chat (WhatsApp, Viber, Messenger) as the main platform of information dissemination.

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
As a result of COVID, many in our company have been working from home, and we began using Slack for internal comm (after evaluating Teams vs. Slack for our needs), instead of email and it has been a big improvement. To the point that we intend to replace the idea of a call list in our BCP with Slack instead. With immediate chat, group discussions (channels), single or group voice/video chat, file sharing and formatted documents (posts) it does all we need for comm in BCP situations.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
We had a call list, and email/text as a backup if phones were down.
If you move to WhatsApp, Slack, whatever...consider a second method as well as backup.

Doesn't happen often, so risk is quite low, but what if Slack servers go down for a day? Food for thought.

Tagin

We had a call list, and email/text as a backup if phones were down.
If you move to WhatsApp, Slack, whatever...consider a second method as well as backup.

Doesn't happen often, so risk is quite low, but what if Slack servers go down for a day? Food for thought.
I've considered that, and we would have phones as backup. We are a small company, so the phone list is not hard to maintain. It's just clunky.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
HR calls five people.
Each of them calls five other people.
Each of them calls five other people...until everyone knows.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Yes Jim...it was to you.

Phone tree's started before I was in grade school...snow day announcements, building emergencies, etc.
It didn't move to radio announcements until I was in 4th grade, and then was just about snow days.
They are not typically planned things (thus under the BCP forum I figure)...so there really isn't a way to get everyone on the call without notifying them to get on it...and if you're notifying them about the call...well why not just tell them right then?

They persist because "everyone knows how they work".
Mass text would work fine...but there isn't a confirmation that someone read it.
I was called once in the 14yrs I commuted an hour to work... gas leak closed the plant.
If I were texted while at the start of my drive, I would have spent a 2hr round trip for nothing...I'm glad it was a call instead.

HTH

Yes Jim...it was to you.

Phone tree's started before I was in grade school...snow day announcements, building emergencies, etc.
It didn't move to radio announcements until I was in 4th grade, and then was just about snow days.
They are not typically planned things (thus under the BCP forum I figure)...so there really isn't a way to get everyone on the call without notifying them to get on it...and if you're notifying them about the call...well why not just tell them right then?

They persist because "everyone knows how they work".
Mass text would work fine...but there isn't a confirmation that someone read it.
I was called once in the 14yrs I commuted an hour to work... gas leak closed the plant.
If I were texted while at the start of my drive, I would have spent a 2hr round trip for nothing...I'm glad it was a call instead.

HTH
Yes, this is exactly what I meant by traditional call tree. Our ISO 22301 auditor always requires us to show evidence that we have tested our call/phone tree. This is a challenge for us because we are a company with multiple sites and hundreds of employees and workers for some project sites. Our project managers have suggested using WhatsApp, Slack, etc. to relay information and ensure that the staff responds to that message. Otherwise, the person-in-charge will have to call him/her to relay the information.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
I have a question here, if a company is already made its own BCT , how would they ensure the proper information delivery to ' no access ' employee / operator ?

I guess the failure of many organizations in handling effective crisis management and Business Continuity correct scheme is their lacking of effective communication and information reporting. During Covid-19 tens of of meetings and decisions are being made without proper confirmation of information/ decisions output delivery to everyone, and yet, every top management keeps confirming that 'everyone is speedily informed'. I have seen many troubles raised from such situations.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R How to test a BCP (Business Continuity Plan) Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
T Incorporate BCP (Business Continuity Plan) into QMS Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
A Risk Assessment, Business Continuity Planning, Testing, BCP, etc as part of ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 8
P Can anyone give Business Continuity Plan (BCP) (ISO 27001) Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 10
Richard Regalado Elsmar Cove BCP - Continuity of the forum when disaster strikes Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 11
L Did anyone hear business registration ontario? General Information Resources 1
I Foreign manufacturer registered place of business in EU for CE certification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M How to manage Sop's & other quality documents after business transfer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D QMS Realignment after business splits into 2 different companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
E Business Continuity Plan Exercise for Outsourced Services Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 5
G Microsoft Office 365 Business plan questions Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 10
S Business Number versus Company ID? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
K Business Process Flowchart Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
Sidney Vianna Informational ESG - Environment, Social & Governance issues gaining ground in the Business World Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 22
N ISO 9001 - Training business with fewer than 5 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
qualprod Business Continuity Planning in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S ISO 9001 implementation in a Gold exporting business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
H Expanding our business and the implications to our QMS Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Richard Regalado Top 10 operational risks of 2019 for business continuity planning Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
M ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 Contingency Plan required for small Business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Nicole Desouza ISO / AS Certification - Small business with less than 100 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R Supplier evaluation and business needs in the context of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Informational Australia – TGA business plan 2019-20 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M SOP Sample for BC/ISO22301 (Business Continuity) wanted Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 4
M BCM (Business Continuity) and BPM in a company with an IT System Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 0
A Brazil: Termination of business relations with BRH – what happens to registrations? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Jen Kirley Conway Business Services LLC - Jen Kirley ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0
J Business Intelligence and 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
G Anyone working with or planning to do business in the CBD (cannabidiol) industry? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Supplier Management outsourcing - Business idea Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
T AS9100 Maintain Approval When Business Ownership Changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
WCHorn US Citizen Traveling to Mumbai for Business Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 4
S New to the automotive business and VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
R Process Mapping for a BPMS (Business Process Management System) vs ISO Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
F BREXIT - What/How are You and Your Business Preparing for It? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
P Suggestion for QMS platform solution + Business process automation Software Quality Assurance 3
A Should we do business in the automotive sector? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
F Business expanding - Campus vs Multi Site Certification Structure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
P Definition Business Type - Definition of what we do-Business Type Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
A What does a good business practice Process Audit look like for AS9100D? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 9
S Internal Audits performed by another local business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
R Business Benefits from IATF 16949 QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Business development and support - Getting business general liability insurance Career and Occupation Discussions 5
J Business Impact Analysis SOP Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 2
B Seeking for an example or a template of a Business Plan Service Industry Specific Topics 3
Q Is ISO 9001 fully enough to manage a business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
supadrai d/b/a doing business as and the FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Business Continuity - ISO 22301 BCMS Strategic and Tactical Objectives Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 3
M Are Critical Business Processes Assets that need to be included in Asset Inventory? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
N Organization Treating One Business as an Internal Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3