Because I Didn't Go To College - I'm a Moron...

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
No... I really do not believe that title, but unfortunately, it is the feeling I get from my boss...

I started in Production here almost years ago... Worked my way up to the lab, and eventually became the Quality Control Manager.

I am now the Quality System Manager, focusing purely on our Quality Management System, ISO, and all of that good stuff.

I attended college a few times, but eventually I could no longer afford to continue to do it. I have 3 wonderful boys, and I could not sacrifice my time with them.

Every year when I get evaluated, my boss tells me, he wants me to get a degree. Over and over... I understand why he wants me to have one, it will look better for his business.

But he doesnt explain it that way. No, he doesnt call me a moron, but the constant need for me to get a degree is irritating.

I do a good job at what I do. Especcially for someone who never studied this type of business. I guess I just wish I was appreciated a bit more.:(

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I have read a lot about companies that promote based upon college degrees. There are pros and cons to a college degree, and there is a lot of discussion as to the reasons for wanting a college degree. Whether it matters in hiring scenarios depends upon the HR person's (or the company's) philosophy and the specific requirements of the position. If a position requires advanced mathematics, for example, the company will probably want someone who has advanced training (college, for example). My degree is in biology and I ended up in business. So - I didn't technically use my degree, per se. I will say that I look back on my college days and I learned a lot far afield of my major.

I do understand your frustration. Formal education doesn't necessarily make one more capable of doing certain jobs. Unfortunately, in life one makes trade-offs.

And I don't think it's necessarily a matter of your boss thinking you are a "moron". It sounds to me as if your boss is saying "If you want to advance here, you need a degree." I know a number of people who did go back to school after the kids were old enough, etc.

In short, if you're happy where you're at, the degree doesn't matter. I doubt your boss really appreciates you less for not having one, but of course I could very well be wrong. Obviously I don't know your boss to be able to say.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
I agree with Marc.

Years back, I get to know a friend while doing a diploma course in management. He works for P&G and had only secondary school education (grade 10 or 11). He had a good boss who encouraged him to come to the course because he simply couldn't promote my friend further due to company policies. He got an immediate promotion after completing the course.

After the course, we were all aware of the fact that to be be a good manager, one cannot be just good and knowledgable in what he does, he needs to have basic knowledge in other areas too.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
There are always these two things that tag with a person's career graph. Education and Experience. Lets say E1 and E2.
E1 is all about diploma, graduation, post graduation, masters, and things which comes from an institution duly recognized. In the complex world of our's both these do balance out in supporting the career. The E1 takes one upto a step and thereafter the E2 will give boost to the climb up the career ladder. Like a catalyst, the E1 must be added for that extra which one needs to boost the career further. With good amount of E2 alone, the climb will start more at the bottom of the ladder and go up to a level and from thereon it is practically difficult.
It will do a lot better if you can take the risk and begin your own business with all the E2 that you have. You become an employer and the CEO. However you will soon learn that you have to acquire varied types of E1 well, in order to sustain your own business. It is the same when you go up the career ladder. It is like your own business where decisions and risks have to be taken, and in here both the E1 and E2 play specific roles.
Your boss is able to recognize this and share it with you.
You are what you are and you stand your place in due appreciation. Since you are heavily E2 loaded, your career balance begins to get a saturation point, unless some relevant E1 gets added. What is relevant and what you can acquire must just be worked out for that additional thrust.
Good luck Nikki ~~~

Last edited:

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Look at collage as a business would; cost vs. benefit. How much will it cost to go to Collage for a degree. What is/are the benefits of having this degree.

When I got my degree, it cost me about $8,000-10,000 with books and tuition (not including time). I am not too sure how much the degree helped as I had to stop mentioning it as the degree was preventing me from getting a job (the experience was much more important and the degree made other nervous). This is my experience, your could be completely different.

I know Collage prices have sky-rocketed in the last 20 years, will having the degree pay for the time and cost.

Also, you have to add the concept that some things you get from Collage have no tangible money benefits so you have to assign some method of measurement to these things as well.

G

I haven't met many people that actually know this (So your boss may not even be thinking about it from this perspective), however the FDA takes job descriptions very seriously. For instance, here are some excerpts from a warning letter to Abbott Lab's a year or so ago:

a. The job description for the Director of Quality Systems requires that the person have a Bachelor of Science/Technical/or Engineering discipline. The person holding the position does not have this type of degree, but rather a Business Administration degree.
b. The person holding the Regulatory Affairs Manager position lacks the minimum of 5 years of regulatory experience required in the job description.
c. The person holding the Quality Control Supervisor position lacks the required Bachelor degree in science or the alternative five to eight years experience in Quality Control.
d. The person holding the Calibration Coordinator position lacks the required Bachelor degree and the four years of relevant experience.

My point being - there actually is a regulations-related reason to the requirement of having certain degrees before moving up..... It is all about the FDA mitigating risk by making sure the people on top got there for a reason, and not because of "good ol' boys club" or whatever - and not that you didn't get where you are for a legitimate reason, just don't forget that according to the FDA: "if it isn't documented, it didn't happen"...and degrees are a form of documentation.

Hi

College degree need not be the ONLY criterion for one to progress in his/her career.

Philips Electronics (the Netherlands based multinational lifestyle and healthcare company) had two Presidents in the 1990s (Jan Timmer & Cor Boonstra) who were not Graduates; but both of them helped the company to turn around.

I thought I should share this with you.

All the best

Ramakrishnan

G

Nikki, do you think your boss would get what he wants if you were to achieve an ASQ certification? The ones that might fit a lab setting with your position might be 'Certified Quality Auditor' or 'Certified Quality Engineer'. They are not as time intensive as a university degree, but are not nearly as expensive either. Joining ASQ might connect you with helpful lab professionals, too.

jackerman64

Corp Quality Sys *****
Nikki,
I understand where you are coming from and have been there. However, let me share my story with you... I finally decided to start taking classes just to get my boss "off my back". I was surprised to learn that because of the amount of experience I had, I was able to test out and get life-experience credit for literally 1/2 the classes of my degree. I only took 1 night class a week and did not take class in the summer. It took me 5 years to get my associates but I did it... with a 4.0 GPA and I was nominated and selected to receive the Graduate of the Year award to top it off. Then, guess what happened? After 7 years of working at this particular company they closed their doors!!! We knew it was coming so I had time to look for another job but it took me EIGHT months to find a new job with only an Associates. Everyone wants a Bachelors now. I got lucky and am the QM where I work, but even as I keep my eyes open for better opportunities, with 20 yrs experience, a 4.0 GPA assoc. degree, and Grad of the Year honors, I still get declined INTERVIEWS because I don't have a Bachelor's... so when you have the time, consider doing this for YOU - not for your boss - and not for your company - because you never know what can happen in the future.

Top Bottom