Becoming a successful manager of a spacecraft company

Hey everyone! I'm a newbie here, this is my first discussion.
I would like you to share your tips or lifehacks on how to become a successful manager in spacecraft indusrty nowadays. Examples of famous leaders are welcome.

I shall begin: in my opinion firstly you should be innovative and quiet open hearted person, therefore people will pay their attention to you

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome Kevin!

Is this a class assignment?

I have always found it is important to listen before speaking, but even more to truly and seriously consider what is being offered. Resist the urge to summarily dismiss inputs, no matter how much more one thinks (s)he knows about the subject than the other. Perceptions are also important.

I will rephrase my quiestion to you: have you had experience with start-uping any engineering company? What should be the first thing to begin?
For example, I want to start creating rocket engines
What type turbine or recip? Opposed or radial? Any experience with any or all? You can't effectively manage what you don't know about yourself.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
What should be the first thing to begin?
For example, I want to start creating rocket engines
And you would try to compete against the Raptor family of engines developed by SpaceX? Unless you have an extremely novel concept with unimaginable specific thrust AND BILLIONS of dollars to fund the R&D, I think you would be at a huge disadvantage. Much better to develop stable Element 115 that allows for gravity field manipulation and terminate our dependence on chemical based thrust propulsion.

Good luck.

Randy

Super Moderator
What type? Solid, Liquid, Hypergolic, Ion, Solar Thermal, Nuclear Thermal there are multiple types for many different purposes some even theoretical like Anti-Matter.

As some others here, I get to work with "rocket scientists" and rocket engine design isn't that simple....Ask Russian engineers about pump design

Last edited:
What type? Solid, Liquid, Hypergolic, Ion, Solar Thermal, Nuclear Thermal there are multiple types for many different purposes some even theoretical like Anti-Matter.

As some others here, I get to work with "rocket scientists" and rocket engine design isn't that simple....Ask Russian engineers about pump design
What if I would like to provide rockets with eco-engines?
And you mentioned that you had worked with "rocket scientists". Could you please tell about your experience?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R American Petroleum Institute - Becoming an API Auditor Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
A Becoming an ISO27001 3rd Party Auditor Career and Occupation Discussions 4
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Anerol C Becoming an IATF 16949 Third Party Auditor Career and Occupation Discussions 21
G AS9120 - What should we be expecting once we set forth into becoming certified? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S Becoming an In Country Entity in Foreign Countries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
A Advice for becoming an ISO9001 Lead Auditor Professional Certifications and Degrees 10
S Advice on becoming an ISO Management Systems Consultant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
R Becoming a Certified Aerospace Auditor - How to get the required audit days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Becoming an ISO13485, MDD, JPAL, CMDR, CE Mark Certified Auditor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P No Time to Audit? Becoming "leaner" - How do you make time for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 36
I Becoming a medical device OEM - Already have ISO 13485 & ISO 9001 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
H Iso in a box - Considering becoming a franchise for them ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H Medical Device Suppliers Becoming Certified to ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Paul Simpson Audits are becoming a Battlefield - CQI Soapbox The Reading Room 8
B Is Lying on Resumes becoming the accepted standard? Career and Occupation Discussions 27
R How a company changes in becoming ISO 9001 registered/approved ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
GStough How to go about becoming an IRCA Certified Auditor? General Auditing Discussions 26
T AS9003 becoming obsolete as early as 2008??? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Q "Becoming a Customer-Focused Organization" - Craig Cochran Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
S Becoming a Lead Auditor - Advice Needed Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Marc Where would you retire? Would you consider becoming an 'Expat'? Immigration and Expatriate Topics 29
D Is the market still good for consultants? Thinking about becoming a consultant Consultants and Consulting 16
V Becoming lead auditor in ISO13485:2003 General Auditing Discussions 5
W Becoming ISO 9001 certified - Telecommunications and network services for military ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R TS 16949 becoming automotive standard of choice IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 31
E How to start running a successful 5S program? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
V Characteristics & Objectives of successful QbD (Quality by Design) program US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
harrysons Thanks to Elsmar Cove - Successful TS16949:2009 Certification Covegratulations 10
M Which are essential qualities to become successful in Medical Device QA & RA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
K Successful Audit: Thanks for your help! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C Successful AS9100 Audit - Thank You to everyone here AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Certificate statement for Successful Completion of Training Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Successful Validation = Reduced Inspection? No Inspection?? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
L Successful AS9100 certification audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
E Successful Gage R&R Anova or X/R? Need example Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
C Examples of successful 5S projects - Introducing 5S on the shopfloor and the offices Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
Marc German Scientist Reports Successful Tests Of ?Anti-Stupidity? Pill... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
Crusader ISO 9001 Registration Audit Successful! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Successful ISO 9001:2000 Certification Audit and questions on auditors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E TS 16949 Registration Audit - Successful! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M Successful Registration! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M ISO 9001 Certification - Successful First Registration Audit? (Poll) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 76
S Successful 1st Gage R&R Study...but Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
T Opinions from Successful Registrations??? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Successful TS 16949:2000 Registration Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
J Successful ISO 9001:2000 - Celebration!!! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A Successful 9001:2000 Certification Stories ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Successful Registration QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
R Authorities of Quality Manager IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2