Becoming an IATF 16949 Third Party Auditor

Anerol C

Trusted Information Resource
Good afternoon,

I have 16 years of quality background, most of them working as QMS administrator, my last job was as Quality Manager, I would like to try as 3rd Party auditor. I have applied lately but I have not received a response back. My last job was ISO 9001, so I have not taken a formal IATF 16949. Please guide me how can offer an accredited RAB or IRCA or which one is required IATF 16949 class?, I'm willing to pay my own IATF training and work hard to meet 3rd party auditor requirements. I used to have accredited ISO TS 16949 and IS0 9001 lead/internal auditir training. Please help. I know that is not easy but I need to start from the beginning. Thanks for your help.:thanx:

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
First you need to be sponsored by a contracted CB.

These are the requirements from the rules

The certification body shall have a process for selecting new auditor candidates for admission into the IATF auditor qualification process. The contracted office of the sponsoring certification body shall submit for each​
candidate a completed application form and relevant supporting information to the relevant IATF Oversight office for approval and access to the IATF auditor qualification process.​
The auditor candidate shall meet the following selection cnteria:​
a} is qualified according to lSO/IEC 17021 and the relevant accreditation body rule to perform ISO 9001 audits;​
b} has conducted at least six {5} ISO 9001 third-party audits in manufacturing industries, with at least three {3} as audit team leader;​
Note: Automotive manufactunng first- or second-party system auditing experience may be considered.​
c} has knowledge of automotive core tooIs_; and​
d} has four {4} years full time appropriate practical experience (including two {2} years dedicated​
to Quality Assurance and/or Ouality Management activities} in the past ten {10} years in an organization meeting the applicability of IATF 16949​
Note: Experience in industries with similar scopes of applicability in chemical, electrical, or metallic commodities may be considered-​
see also
The IATF auditor qualification process has two phases: initial qualification and requalification- Details of the two phases can be found on International Automotive Task Force

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
1. Effective 1st June 2018, the auditor qualification process has changed. Link is here :
https://www.iatfglobaloversight.org...B-Communique-2018-003-New-Auditor-Process.pdf
If you have passed through, please share your experience. Your sharing will new aspirants to learn new changes.

2. In June 17, the requirement for working experience was revised from "4 years out of last 10 years" to 4 years out of last 15 years" (Refer SI # 1 of rule book). Link is here: https://www.iatfglobaloversight.org...s-SIs_Final_for-release-27-September-2017.pdf

If your are still studying, i suggest to focus on :
1. Three Automotive core tools (SPC. MSA and FMEA only)​
2. ISO 9001:2015, IATF 16949 standards (with lastest SI and FAQs)​
3. Rule Book 5th Ed ( (with latest SI and FAQs))​
4. CSRs of 9 IATF OEMs​
5. IATF Auditor guide 3rd Ed​
6. Sample audit plans for various types of audits (stage 1, stage 2, surveillance)​

Hi, i read from the SI...
1547609495022.png

Can anyone explain "within the past 15years in an automotive manufacturing organization" means it is mandatory to have 15years working experience?
Or if i am a fresh graduate and i work in automotive manufacturing under QMS for 4years, means i am qualified regardless years of working experience?

Please advise...

AMIT BALLAL

If you have 4 years of experience (Including 2 years dedicated to Quality/QMS), you are eligible for certification. It is not mandatory to have 15 years of experience. It cannot be like the auditor has 25 years of total experience and had experience of working in Quality / QMS 20 years back.

morteza

Hi all,

May anyone share his/her experience on IATF 16949 3rd party auditor exam?
Are there any sample questions or case studies from these exam?

Thanks all

The 3rd party exam has been revamped from 2 years ago. I have to say it is much more "real life" than previous. I did not pass the exam 2 years ago. I have recently taken the exam in February 2020, and have a better feel for how I did, but have not yet received my pass / fail yet.

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
Dear Morteza
.Now, for two years, IATFADP cerdentials are provided for self study before exam. You will be provide sample questions (modules) in IATF ADP. After going through sample questions, you need to pass online exam in ADP after which you will be provided two certificates. Only after submission of these certificates, you will be permitted to attend course. This all exercise needs considerable time and must be finished well in advance before going to attend course.

Hi all,

May anyone share his/her experience on IATF 16949 3rd party auditor exam?
Are there any sample questions or case studies from these exam?

Thanks all
I am a 3rd party auditor. The exams are taken after a 3 day training class given in Southfield MI by Plexus. The exams cover 5 separate areas and each exam is separate from the others. The testing takes all of the 4th day. Specifically, you will be tested on SPC, FMEA, and Control Plan from the AIAG manuals, the other 2 tests are the IATF 16949:2016 manual and lastly Rules (in my case 5th edition). You must score a minimum of 80% on each test. You could conceivably score 100% on 4 of the tests and get a 79 on another and you do not pass! Bone up on the AIAG manuals and take self exams wherever you can get some quizzes. All tests are timed for 90 minutes - do not waste any time as time management is key, there is no forgiveness for not finishing in 90 minutes. The IATF exam will be one where you read a scenario of a company totally frought with many problems - do not fall for getting involved and thinking of all the things you need to do to fix the problems as your 90 minute clock is running and when you get to the quiz questions you realize you have just wasted too much time on the scenario. On test day you will be given a schedule of where to be at what time - your classmates will not be in the same tests as you. After an exhausting day of 5 tests you then will be given a company scenario and you are required to make an audit plan which you will take into an oral defense room where 2 Plexus personnel will have you explain your audit plan and why you selected certain things to audit - I can not say how this oral defense is scored but they have a say in your passing somehow. You must study very hard as the first time pass rate is somewhere at about the 25% level - most do not pass the first time due to time management and not completing the tests in 90 minutes. Good luck! After you have been granted the IATF 3rd party certificate you will be in the field for 2 years then back to Southfield for your 2 year testing. First 2 years as an auditor your Auditor ADP number will start with a 3. If you do not pass totally at your 2 year exam you will be a 'Yellow" auditor status and your ADP number will be a 4- something. If you full pass at the 2 year exam your ADP # starts with a 5 and you are basically good to audit forever - or at least a very long time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Becoming an ISO27001 3rd Party Auditor Career and Occupation Discussions 4
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
G AS9120 - What should we be expecting once we set forth into becoming certified? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S Becoming an In Country Entity in Foreign Countries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
A Advice for becoming an ISO9001 Lead Auditor Professional Certifications and Degrees 10
S Advice on becoming an ISO Management Systems Consultant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
R Becoming a Certified Aerospace Auditor - How to get the required audit days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Becoming an ISO13485, MDD, JPAL, CMDR, CE Mark Certified Auditor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P No Time to Audit? Becoming "leaner" - How do you make time for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 36
I Becoming a medical device OEM - Already have ISO 13485 & ISO 9001 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
H Iso in a box - Considering becoming a franchise for them ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H Medical Device Suppliers Becoming Certified to ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Paul Simpson Audits are becoming a Battlefield - CQI Soapbox The Reading Room 8
B Is Lying on Resumes becoming the accepted standard? Career and Occupation Discussions 27
R How a company changes in becoming ISO 9001 registered/approved ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
GStough How to go about becoming an IRCA Certified Auditor? General Auditing Discussions 26
T AS9003 becoming obsolete as early as 2008??? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Q "Becoming a Customer-Focused Organization" - Craig Cochran Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
S Becoming a Lead Auditor - Advice Needed Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Marc Where would you retire? Would you consider becoming an 'Expat'? Immigration and Expatriate Topics 29
D Is the market still good for consultants? Thinking about becoming a consultant Consultants and Consulting 16
V Becoming lead auditor in ISO13485:2003 General Auditing Discussions 5
W Becoming ISO 9001 certified - Telecommunications and network services for military ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R TS 16949 becoming automotive standard of choice IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 31
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News IATF Observer Guideline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
G IATF Rules for COVID 5th revision IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L IATF external audit virtual (remote) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
W Allowing our IATF to Expire Due to Relocation. Any Backlash? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Revision 5 to IATF Coronavirus Pandemic (Covid -19) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
S Thoughts on managing ISO 9001, 13485, IATF 16949 and 17025 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
I IATF Lab Scope Testing Qualification and Competency Documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 10
eule del ayre Documented Information - Periodic Review of Documents? IATF 16949:2016 / ISO 9001:2015 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 34
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
B IATF 16949 News Six month extension on all valid IATF 16949 certs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
G Logistic organization and controls - IATF/ISO 9001 audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Latest news from IATF - August 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Corrective Action Timing - IATF CB Deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9