Becoming an ISO27001 3rd Party Auditor

Hi

I have 15+ years as a CISO, passed my ISO27k LA and now want to gain experience as a self employed / contract 3rd party auditor but not sure how to do this. Any help would be welcome.

thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to The Cove! I am sorry for the delay in this response.

You did not say what part of the world you live in, but a 3rd party auditor could be traveling anywhere. If you don't have a valid passport, get one now.

BSI seems to be hiring. So is DNV and DQS, who is asking for someone who is already a 3rd party auditor (RCB) but I would apply anyway.

If you are in North America, you can search for other registrars in the ANAB CB Directory. Use the ISO/IEC 27001 search term and look at the top or bottom of their web pages for a Careers link.

If you do get a position as CB auditor, there are a number of us here who can advise you in how to manage your self employment.

I hope this helps!

Randy

Super Moderator
Don't quit your day job in the meantime. Good luck and hopefully you'll love living out of a suitcase, hotels, restaurants, airports, rental cars, eating by yourself, and travelling to places you'll never get to see other than landing, driving across and taking off.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Listen to Randy. My suit case is still in its permanent station in my bedroom, based on my current job needing occasional travel and it's just too much effort to unpack and pack again. My suitcase is always 3/4 full. All it lacks is my day-to-day clothes. I permanently keep a pair of steel toe shoes in a rolly bag that is stationed at the ready in my office. I am ready to travel with 30 minutes notice or less, depending on who arranges my logistics.

There are things I miss about 3rd party auditing now that I have been a corporate employee for the last 15 months, but I can tell you that in my last life I was on the road for 40-45 weeks each year (Randy logs more) and my weekends were almost always not my own; much of my earnings went to professionals who kept my payroll going, and taxes straight and submitted on time (I was a one-person S corporation and would recommend that to anyone for tax reasons) so I brought home less than I do now. Then there was the lack of subsidized insurance, 401k matches, paid vacations and holidays... being your own boss sounds more romantic than it actually is.

That said, I found the work fulfilling and almost endlessly interesting in its variation of experiences. The lifestyle can be ideal if you have someone to manage your home affairs and you can afford to work part time. Many of us are retired and do this work to stay active and supplement our income to the extent we desire; the amount we work is based on our interests and needs. I miss going places, though like Randy said I was almost never able to actually see them. But I am getting antsy, mostly since the virus has curtailed travel for us corporate types.

The choice is yours. The pros and cons are starkly different.

I hope this helps!

Randy

Super Moderator
Listen to Randy. My suit case is still in its permanent station in my bedroom, based on my current job needing occasional travel and it's just too much effort to unpack and pack again. My suitcase is always 3/4 full. All it lacks is my day-to-day clothes. I permanently keep a pair of steel toe shoes in a rolly bag that is stationed at the ready in my office. I am ready to travel with 30 minutes notice or less, depending on who arranges my logistics.

There are things I miss about 3rd party auditing now that I have been a corporate employee for the last 15 months, but I can tell you that in my last life I was on the road for 40-45 weeks each year (Randy logs more) and my weekends were almost always not my own; much of my earnings went to professionals who kept my payroll going, and taxes straight and submitted on time (I was a one-person S corporation and would recommend that to anyone for tax reasons) so I brought home less than I do now. Then there was the lack of subsidized insurance, 401k matches, paid vacations and holidays... being your own boss sounds more romantic than it actually is.

That said, I found the work fulfilling and almost endlessly interesting in its variation of experiences. The lifestyle can be ideal if you have someone to manage your home affairs and you can afford to work part time. Many of us are retired and do this work to stay active and supplement our income to the extent we desire; the amount we work is based on our interests and needs. I miss going places, though like Randy said I was almost never able to actually see them. But I am getting antsy, mostly since the virus has curtailed travel for us corporate types.

The choice is yours. The pros and cons are starkly different.

I hope this helps!
For the most part yep, I unpacked and repacked yesterday for my 1st road trip since March (but I've delivered over 60 remote audit days since April). The only thing that really changes are the clothes, soiled out-clean in. Taxes are a killer and we pay to have them done as well (2 -person S Corp and Judi is the boss, I'm just hired help). No holidays, a 3 day audit winds up being over 4-6 because of the report writing, audit planning (travel when travelling), ..... All but the actual audit time unpaid. Then there's the CPD stuff and the CB internal training (unpaid time, but if you wanna work you suck it up). Today I'm driving up to Tulsa, already did a couple emails, finished an audit plan and I'll be doing the same tonight at the Hilton.....all the work is unpaid time, but if you want the work you suck it up.........When you prorate the time to the audit you end up paying for the privilege to work....... So yeah go to the 3rd party world, you can make $100K+, but when you honestly break down the time it's not that great....But it is fun

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Anerol C Becoming an IATF 16949 Third Party Auditor Career and Occupation Discussions 12
G AS9120 - What should we be expecting once we set forth into becoming certified? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S Becoming an In Country Entity in Foreign Countries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
A Advice for becoming an ISO9001 Lead Auditor Professional Certifications and Degrees 10
S Advice on becoming an ISO Management Systems Consultant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
R Becoming a Certified Aerospace Auditor - How to get the required audit days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Becoming an ISO13485, MDD, JPAL, CMDR, CE Mark Certified Auditor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P No Time to Audit? Becoming "leaner" - How do you make time for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 36
I Becoming a medical device OEM - Already have ISO 13485 & ISO 9001 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
H Iso in a box - Considering becoming a franchise for them ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H Medical Device Suppliers Becoming Certified to ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Paul Simpson Audits are becoming a Battlefield - CQI Soapbox The Reading Room 8
B Is Lying on Resumes becoming the accepted standard? Career and Occupation Discussions 27
R How a company changes in becoming ISO 9001 registered/approved ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
GStough How to go about becoming an IRCA Certified Auditor? General Auditing Discussions 26
T AS9003 becoming obsolete as early as 2008??? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Q "Becoming a Customer-Focused Organization" - Craig Cochran Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
S Becoming a Lead Auditor - Advice Needed Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Marc Where would you retire? Would you consider becoming an 'Expat'? Immigration and Expatriate Topics 29
D Is the market still good for consultants? Thinking about becoming a consultant Consultants and Consulting 16
V Becoming lead auditor in ISO13485:2003 General Auditing Discussions 5
W Becoming ISO 9001 certified - Telecommunications and network services for military ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R TS 16949 becoming automotive standard of choice IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 31
H ISMS (information security management system) Manual ISO27001:2013 Example wanted IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
C ISO27001 - Document Creation and Approval Requirements IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
A Management Representative and Information Security Officer for ISO27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
P ISO27001 - Risk Assessments Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
A Non-Conformances Found After 3rd Party Sorting Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
G Do HIPAA Rules Apply to a 3rd Party Logistics Shipper? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
J Extent of 2017/745: providing 3rd party mass produced devices to NHS patients EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S AIAG CQI Auditor Qualification and 3rd Party Certification Requirements General Auditing Discussions 2
J Where I can get a copy of either the 3rd or 4th edition of UL544? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M 3rd Party Sorting and Inspection Company Certification Service Industry Specific Topics 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M CE self-certify, or needs testing by 3rd party? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
Douglas E. Purdy ISO/IEC 17025:2017 3rd Ed. Changes from 2nd Ed. ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
S ISO 9001:2015 Gap Analysis - In-House or 3rd Party? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T List of Tests - IEC 61010-1, 3rd edition and IEC 60601-1, 3.1 edition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
O IATF 16949 3rd party auditor training sources IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
O Difference in 60601-1-2 3rd and 4th ed separation RF portable equipment CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
O Standards used for IEC 60601-1-2 3rd ed. Vs. 4th ed. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M IATF 16949 - Multiple Locations - 3rd party audit scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J 3rd Party Certification and QMS Revisions Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
Sidney Vianna Proposed Change to 3rd Party Audit Process - Limiting Scope of Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 19
A How to 3rd Party Audit ISO 9001 Clause 7.1.6 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A How to approach ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 when 3rd Party Auditing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Stijloor Calculating (3rd Party) Audit Days for Company with Seasonal Employees General Auditing Discussions 3