Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions

kensonic_qmr

Starting to get Involved
Hello guys! :)

Good afternoon. I have questions/clarification for you guys. Like the title of this post, I'm new to ISO 45001 implementation. We are currently an ISO 9001 certified company (I'm the deputy QMR). Here are some of my questions, clarification and request.

1. What clause can I put the implementation of safety program? I'm currently drafting the OHS Management System Manual and I'm wondering where can I put the Safety Program. (My guess is that I can put it in 6.1.3 since it is a legal requirement of the Philippines)
2. Can I request a sample of OHS Process Flow? I'm currently making a new one and I need to check if mine is good enough or I'm missing some key process that I need to put. I attached my OHS Process Flow.
3. With regards to calibration, can you give a few equipment for a construction company that needs it? I assume that equipment should be used for safety and health purpose.
4. As I said earlier, we are an ISO 9001 certified company. We are planning to be certified for ISO 45001 next year. And in 2021, we are planning to be certified to ISO 14001. In 2021, we are scheduled for re-certification of ISO 9001. Can we integrate those three standards for the audit in 2021? I'm not really familiar with IMS audit and I'm not sure if what I'm thinking is possible.

Thank you guys in advance. Let me know if you need clarifications on my post (I My English is not that good since it's not my first language). :)

Attachments

• OHS Management System Flow.docx
    46.9 KB · Views: 407

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Good day kensonic_qmr,

Are those your process names? You have listed clauses in the standard.

If we must make a drawing (a process map is not required) I would consider placing awareness and management support in the outermost box, as these two factors support everything else that happens in the OHS.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
1. What clause can I put the implementation of safety program?
An OHSMS is not a program, is not a manual, is not a collection of documents. It is a system, a subset of the organization's business. As a subset of the organization, it will interact with other disciplines such as quality and environmental management, but the OHSMS is not a "clause" of the quality manual.

Have a look at this publication developed for small organizations implementing an OHSMS; that might give you an insight.

3. With regards to calibration, can you give a few equipment for a construction company that needs it? I assume that equipment should be used for safety and health purpose.
As an example, gas monitors, if used in your "construction company contex" can be calibrated.

We are planning to be certified for ISO 45001 next year
So, be aware of the IAF MD22 document. It makes accredited certification to ISO 45001 much more "complicated/involved", compared to ISO 9001; that is, if the AB, CB and the registrant pay attention to what is required. Look, for example, at the post @ Interesting Topic - Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA.

kensonic_qmr

Starting to get Involved
Good day kensonic_qmr,

Are those your process names? You have listed clauses in the standard.

If we must make a drawing (a process map is not required) I would consider placing awareness and management support in the outermost box, as these two factors support everything else that happens in the OHS.

Thank you for the reply. :) Yes. Those are the process names. I just put the clauses just to show the top management why those process are needed. I like to create process map because I want every involved employees to know all the processes involved in OHSMS.

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually like that idea. I will create a separate box for processes that supports everything in the OHS.

Last edited by a moderator:

kensonic_qmr

Starting to get Involved
An OHSMS is not a program, is not a manual, is not a collection of documents. It is a system, a subset of the organization's business. As a subset of the organization, it will interact with other disciplines such as quality and environmental management, but the OHSMS is not a "clause" of the quality manual.

Thank you for the advice.. :) I will definitely read that document.

I guest I need to explain my question regarding the safety program. I'm currently making a OHSMS Manual (Similar to QMS Manual - I'm aware that it is not mandatory to make OHSMS Manual). I'm just wondering where (what clause) can I put the existence of the Safety Program that we have. My impression is that the Safety Program is a very vital document to our OHSMS that putting it in our OHSMS Manual is essential.

Thank you again. Haha. Please be patient with me.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Thank you for the advice.. :) I will definitely read that document.

I guest I need to explain my question regarding the safety program. I'm currently making a OHSMS Manual (Similar to QMS Manual - I'm aware that it is not mandatory to make OHSMS Manual). I'm just wondering where (what clause) can I put the existence of the Safety Program that we have. My impression is that the Safety Program is a very vital document to our OHSMS that putting it in our OHSMS Manual is essential.

Thank you again. Haha. Please be patient with me.
The manual does not belong in a process map. The manual describes what happens on a high level; the expectation is to define the sequence and interaction of processes.

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello !

Kensonic, regarding your question 1 :
Please can you explain what is a "safety program" for you ? Can you summarize the content of the "legal requirement of the Philippines" you mentions ?
In any case you suggest that your "safety program" can be linked to "ISO 45001 - 6.1.3 Determination of legal requirements and other requirements". But 6.1.3 requires to maintain documented information about its legal requirements and other requirements and ensure that they are kept up to date and reflect any changes", not "to implement a safety program".

Question 2 :
Your "OSH process flow" (not required by the standard) is not bad since it takes up a good part of the ISO 45001 paragraphs by trying incidentally* to fit them in the PDCA cycle, but it lacks (all 4 ; 5.1, 5.3, 7.1, and 7.5). Often it is better not to recreate what already exists good : please use Figure 1 of ISO 45001 directly ... by detailing the contents of circles in this figure to be closer to your scheme.
* "Management review" is typically "Top management"

Question 3 :
On which ISO 45001 requirement do you ask about the calibration of equipment ?
Please can you tell us what (measurement ?) equipments are used by your company for OSH management ?

Question 4 :
In the futur when you have worked your 3 management systems (integrated or not) according to ISO 9001, 45001 and 14001, you will be able to consider an audit covering these 3 domains. But caution, SMS and EMS should not be considered as simple parts of a QMS.

Last remark : ISO MS standards don't require any Q, S or E "manual" !

Cordially.

Last edited:
Top Bottom