SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Beginner trying to OEM a medical device - Branded Electric Acupuncture Pen

S

Shaitan87

Hi,

I run a handful of online stores and have recently been exploring importing a branded Electric acupuncture pen into Germany. However usually I sell clothing and I have been shocked at the amount of regulations it looks like I will have to comply with. There is a very relevant thread here, but there wasn't any conclusions posted. Where should I get started? My Chinese supplier has CE certification, and has proven to me he has sold a couple thousand of these in Europe. I can find similar ones all over European stores, however I can't find a single one that has any certification beyond CE, whereas it looks like they need a lot more than that.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jaydub

Involved In Discussions
CE is what you need. What you need for CE is dependent on your product. You say the product is CE marked, but under what directive(s)? If it is a Medical device you would need to comply with the Medical Device Directive or the MDR. You will need a representative in the EU. You may or may not need a Notified Body, depending on your device classification.

moounir

Involved In Discussions
Apparently, in your case, there are a lot of things you need to be careful.

- First, as dgrainger said, this is a Medical Device which needs a Notified Body to certify the product. If your Chinese Manufacturer has a CE mark, then you need to get it to understand which Notified Body approved it. And check on the NANDO database if this Notified Body is accredited for Medical Device products.

- Second, do you want to sell this product under your own name (Own Brand Labeling) or just act as a distributor? In the first case, I really not advise you to do it If you are not knowledgeable on Medical Device. In the case you want to be a distributor, then the Chinese Manufacturer needs an Authorized Representative in Europe as Jaydud mentioned, and an Importer in Europe. I would also advise you to not become an authorized representative or importer for this company if you don´t know them.

- Third, you will be the company marketing this product. So if you claim something that is not proved, it can be a problem for you. So check first if there are clinical data for what they claim.

So conclusion, you are entering a difficult area. You can learn how Medical Devices are regulated and find your way to distribute this kind of product. But if your business is not focused on Medical Devices, hire a consultant to help you if the business is important. Don´t jump on this kind of business without a minimum of security.

I hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
B Histogram beginner dilemma - Manual Calculation vs. JMP 7 Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
K Training the absolute beginner to understand AQL Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Beginner's Understanding - The Purpose and Applications of QMS/ISO Standards Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 12
F Supplier Quality Engineer Beginner - Potential Interview Questions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Function for Effects - Beginner in usage of the IQRM FMEA and Control Plans 3
C Help a beginner in the CE Marking world! (Semi long post) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Q A Beginner's Questions about ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Internal audit checklist for beginner auditors Internal Auditing 3
L Recommend a PPAP training course for a beginner APQP and PPAP 6
B Help for beginner - PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) APQP and PPAP 9
M Basic ISO 9001 information for a beginner ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N How to determine Type-B uncertainty?What distribution?With Calibration beginner guide Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
W Six Sigma for the Beginner Six Sigma 19
G Trying to get a financially reasonable ISO Certification Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
K Trying to figure out what satisfies a few aspects of IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S Trying to understand 7.2.1(d) of ISO 13485 - Medical Device User Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Help trying to explain accuracy procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Supplier trying to avoid RMA's Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
K Auditors are trying to drive this business General Auditing Discussions 36
P Value Stream Mapping - Trying to do Value Stream Mapping of our Products Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
M Trying to take current documentation and put it into ISO forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Trying to determine whether a steel plate is bowed with a Faro Arm Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
B I'm trying to write detailed Customer Service Work Instructions Customer Complaints 10
Mikishots Trying to locate a LEGIBLE MIL-STD-105E copy Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Trying to fit a GLM - Minitab 16 negative Error df Using Minitab Software 4
2 Trying to Implement a Manufacturing Engineer Concept to my Company Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
P Trying to figure Minor ? on Female Rolled Threads Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
E Our Lean Initiative Manager is trying to eliminate Final Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Jen Kirley Trying to back up a dead hard drive - how to do it? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
D Medical Device Packaging - Trying to learn Technical files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Jim Wynne The Buell Blast: Trying to Make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Poop Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
A A Quandary - Trying to do everything on a shoestring - Out The Door Numbers Career and Occupation Discussions 11
J Measuring Technique - Trying to measure on-time delivery turnaround Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
W Controlled Documents - Trying to differentiate document control levels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Trying to decipher drawing - Hole Size Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
A CFO trying to turn Quality procedure for Purchasing into a purchasing manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
N Cost of Rejected Components - Trying to pokayoke a process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
O ANOVA Analysis - Trying to understand MSA analysis- Please review my spreadsheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
R Trying to develop ISO 9001 training for a newly certified company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Trying to find the actual ISO 17025:2005 standard requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H What I am trying to find is someone that remembers Memphis in the nineties Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
V Minitab Pareto - Trying to plot a relation of Count and Cycle Time Using Minitab Software 5
L Kanban cards - Trying to initiate a true Pull System - Fastener Products Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
ScottK The Berry Amendment (Imposed by 10 U.S.C. 2533a) for DoD parts - Trying to decipher Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
J Food Allergen Awareness Training - Trying to implement cGMP Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1