Being Delicate with Disclosure

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello contributors

I'm not really sure where to pose this question.

I was kind of surprised to see that I had access to this contributor's forum. I don't consider myself a real contributor yet. I'm waiting to come up with something that is really worth posting to the forum.

I'm working with someone on a company website. We've never had one here, and I chose a really savvy web author to make a page that is simple, elegant, and functional.

The content of the site is not difficult to drum up, but I have some concerns about how much I should really disclose to our customers. Can someone give me some advice about this and some things I may want to keep in mind?

For instance, we run Brown & Sharpe and New Britain automatic screw machines. These are conventional cam-operated machines that perform very well, they make good parts and can hold tight tolerances, but they sure aren't CNC. The average vintage is about 1970. We have several machines from the late 70's and early 80's, and several machines that saw service during WWII.

However, these machines are all in very good condition. Everything it takes to consistently produce parts is kept up, and we spend money on these machines all the time. Many have been completely rebuilt before they came in our door. Some more have been rebuilt and brought back to us.

I'd like to include an equipment link on our web page, and I was thinking to basically explain the three types of machines we have. For example, the Brown & Sharpe link will explain the Brown & Sharpe automatic and its history as an American precision machine. No picture (though we do have an impressive fresh from the rebuild Ultramatic). The link would finish by stating the capacity, capability, and number of machines we have under our roof.

The New Britain link will say the same thing. I want to stress maintenance, capacity, capability, etc.

The Daewoo CNC lathe will follow the same lines.

How can I avoid arousing mistrust in some customers by talking about our equipment? I look at other machine shop websites and they've got like 20 brand new Davenports and a whole slew of CNC equipment all lined up in a row and making me jealous.

I'd like to go further than simply stating that we have such and such type of machine up to such and such inch capacity, but I don't want anyone to say that they want their parts made on a CNC or they'll go elsewhere.

Any thoughts to help me out on this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Your access to the Contributor's forum is because you contributed several $ to help out with bandwidth and server costs! And I appreciate it!

However I moved the thread to a different forum where I think you'll get more responses.

B

Bob_M

atetsade said:
However, these machines are all in very good condition. Everything it takes to consistently produce parts is kept up, and we spend money on these machines all the time. Many have been completely rebuilt before they came in our door. Some more have been rebuilt and brought back to us.

I'd like to include an equipment link on our web page, and I was thinking to basically explain the three types of machines we have. The link would finish by stating the capacity, capability, nd number of machines we have under our roof.

I'd like to go further than simply stating that we have such and such type of machine up to such and such inch capacity, but I don't want anyone to say that they want their parts made on a CNC or they'll go elsewhere.
Although we do not have a web site yet I'd focus on the capability, maintenance, and product quality of these machines.

I/we can understand being behind the times and feeling a little jealous, but focus on the positives. If a customer demands CNC they would not be you customer anyways...

(We've got suppliers that we farm out some metal stampings and there machines put us to shame, even though they are not much better, just big and more monitoring equipment attached to them).

Randy

Super Moderator
Stress the competence of the work force (experience + training + education = competence).

Include some printable comments from previous customers.

Toss is some data.

Stir and don't shake

Put on the website

C

Craig H.

Ok, so you have some older machines that are kept up very well.

Why not point out the PM program, for starters, and also machine availability (lack of Maint. related down time).

Maybe the best thing - how experienced are your people? If you have employees with 20 - 30 years, THAT would be impressive, IMHO. That and the combination of tools that are in great shape would mean a lot to many people, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Craig H. said:
Ok, so you have some older machines that are kept up very well.

Why not point out the PM program, for starters, and also machine availability (lack of Maint. related down time).

Maybe the best thing - how experienced are your people? If you have employees with 20 - 30 years, THAT would be impressive, IMHO. That and the combination of tools that are in great shape would mean a lot to many people, IMHO.

Hope this helps.
Throw in some information that shows that all of this leads to on-time delivery, little unplanned downtime, etc., etc. Websites are for PR, use them to WOW the customer. (unlike the lame one someone paid good money for for us, I think I could have done better. lol)

J

Jimmy Olson

I agree with Craig. Showing how well you take care of some of the older machines can actually be a good thing. It demonstrates that you pay attention to details and take care of things.

Also some people may look at it as if you've been using the same equipment then you know how to use it very well. Some places may have the latest and greatest equipment, but nobody knows how to use it. You could tie that in with the experince of your people by saying you have personnel that have X amount of experience working with this piece of equipment.

I'm not saying this should be the only focus, but it could be used as a good thing. It's all in how you spin the information ;)

C

Craig H.

I absolutely agree with Richard and Steel's additional coments - you are selling the fact that you can make to spec the first time, on time.

There are always going to be people who are "wowed" by flashing lights and ringing bells. Letting them know that you can supply what they need (without all of that pesky new equipment depreciation thrown in, I might add) will go a long ways to puttting out those lights and silencing the bells. Great posts, y'all.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Definitely push the experienced workforce angle if you can. "Our staff has over 150 years of combined machining expertise" or "our machinists average of 12 years of experience" or "we have 3 master-machinists (if there is such a thing)" etc. etc. Most people have experienced the equipment rich but people poor outfit from time to time.

Comments from satisfied customers is another real good idea as Randy said.

Some data like 99+% OTD (if it is true and impressive) would help.

# of years in business can look good for older companies.

BBB membership.

Names of big, impressive customers you have served.

I think the previous posters have summed the PR bit up nicely, so I will not expand any further on that. Instead I'll just say that nice looking new equipment do little in the way of impressing me by itself:

I have seen places jam packed with new equipment fail abysmally due to poor maintenance and/or workforce competence. How many times have you for instance seen a company buy expensive new equipment and then botch the whole thing by holding back resources for training? Money down the drain...

How many times have you seen people get state of the art equipment to do a job that the previous equipment did without any problems? Money down the drain...

How many times have you seen new and advanced equipment go through horrendous teething problemsbefore contributing to the companys profit? Money down the drain...

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not against new equipment, but it's not what you have that is the issue. It's what you do with it...

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Nicole Desouza The Difference of being AS 9100D Compliant vs.Certified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
D IATF 16949 FAQ 24 (8.4.2.2 Countries of Destination) - How is this actually being interpreted? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Search for predicates to see what claims are being made for those predicates 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M CBE (Change Being Effected) 510(k) Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational Team-NB published a press release regarding the survey run among its members to analyse the certificates being issued Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R DCMA QAS is holding up shipments of product due to them being late AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S EQMS solution (Greenlight Guru and Q-Pulse currently being explored) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 8
G Audit finding - Components being transferred inter-plant Internal Auditing 3
A MedAccred being flowed down to Suppliers (2018) MedAccred Industry Group Program 0
lyobovnik Matters being audited, independence, participation and direct responsibility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D No evidence of certain processes on our scope being audited at our remote location IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
chris1price Calibration of Instrument before being Discarded General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Which Certificate should I have being a Dentist? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 4
I AS9100C Lead Auditor Training Courses being Cancelled AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Gman2 Identification of Raw Material being used In-Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Is MHLW Std No.169 - 2004 being Revised in Nov 2014? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
S Advanced Surveillance and Recertification Procedures - being discontinued by the IAF December 2019 update ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
somashekar Is OBL CE Marking route for Medical Devices being Reconsidered? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Difference between being a Management Representative and being a Lead Quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I Does being a subsidiary fully absolve company B from complying with 21 CFR 820? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Ways to check to see if the gage is being used General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
J SC and the linkage between CP and PFMEA ? When it?s being produced or controlled? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Plan & Procedure to handle a Product that's being Withdrawn from the Market 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
R Ethical Aspects while being Consultant and Certifier within same Organization. Consultants and Consulting 6
B Is the ISO 13485 auditor being too picky concerning CMDCAS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Reduced Device License Fee was rejected for being sent in too early Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
somashekar About Technical File being available at Manufacturing Site ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
AnaMariaVR2 Why Being the Last Interview of the Day Could Crush Your Chances Career and Occupation Discussions 8
K Records Control - Auditor Objection to Data being Recorded and Stored in PC Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 21
M Corrective Action not being done by the responsible person Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
P Quality Progress Magazine without being a member of ASQ ASQ - American Society for Quality 7
V Failure Modes of 1-step being taken as cause in 2nd (subsequent/downstream) step FMEA and Control Plans 4
R When should a Corrective action be created? (Procedures not being followed) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 23
V Interviews - How to differentiate your deliverable/role for potentially being hired Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Z What Specific Tests are Required to Label a Device as being DEHP Free EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Marc The Fastest Broadband In The US Is Being Built by Local Communities After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
T How to preventing the drawing revision not being up to date Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
L Marketing Class I Medical Devices before being listed in FURLS Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
A Chip Resistor Body Marking Standard - Is EIA-96 being replaced? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
B Surface Profile Callouts - How the profiles are being dimensioned Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Can I be a legal manufacturer without being a separate legal entity? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
K Have you ever behaved differently because you were being watched? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
E Being asked to do PPAPs - I'm new to the APQP Process APQP and PPAP 12
L Transmittal Form/Notice not being signed and returned by Clients ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A How Big/How Small - Size limitation on a company being ISO 9001 certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
R Root Cause 5 Whys for an incorrect board being used in a product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
S Smelly Varnish - Consumer Complaints about the device being ?smelly? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11