Bench Testing

aravindh

Starting to get Involved
Hi all

This is a scenario based question. I am intending to bring my device into the US market via 510(k) application.

I am planning conduct bench testing for my medical device. To conduct that testing I need other (compatible) medical devices. I have selected the compatible medical devices based on worst case scenarios. But the compatible medical is not legally marketed in the United states. Can I use these medical devices to perform the bench testing?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Probably not, the point of a 510(k) is to show equivalence to a device already approved on the US market. If the comparative device is not approved, then FDA can't approve yours.

aravindh

Starting to get Involved
Probably not, the point of a 510(k) is to show equivalence to a device already approved on the US market. If the comparative device is not approved, then FDA can't approve yours.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I understand that, the medical device used for proving substantial equivalence for the newly marketed device should be a legally marketed device in U.S market.
The scenario is like, the new device is tested with a worst case device (which is compatible) to prove the performance of the new device using bench test. If the medical device, which is used along with the new device only for the worst case testing but it not will be marketed along with the new device

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Mammography Machine Bench Testing - FDA 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Recommended Content and Format of Non-Clinical Bench Performance Testing Information in Premarket Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ronen E FDA News FDA issues guidance on bench testing in premarket submissions Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
I Bench Testing & Pre-verification vs. Formal verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Is Bench or Clinical testing better? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
J US import requirements for bench testing without 510k Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Bench Testing Requirements for Class 3 devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Critical Analysis of Medical Device Bench Testing data ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Technical File Part A - Bench Testing CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
shimonv Bench Testing as part of 510(k) Submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Does the V&V (Verification and Validation) belong to Bench Testing for 510k? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
Le Chiffre 510(k) Changes: More bench testing and stricter design controls? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L Can we use the data in intertek or TUV lab testing report as bench testing data? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
R GearBox Test Bench Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T CE Marking - Bench mark Device from same manufacturer CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Bench test report translation to English for 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
H Frequency of shelf life/sterilization/bench studies conducted on a medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
F ≥5 micron macroparticles measurement in Laminar Airflow (LAF) bench (ISO Class 5) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 0
S Bench Marking Automated Data Collection Benchmarking 4
M What is a Bench Test and how is it used? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M What should be in an SOP for a Machine Operation - LAF Bench in our Clean Room ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Aircraft Coffee Maker Repair Bench Glassware Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
L Clinical Investigation vs. Bench Test - Definition EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Do Device Verification Bench Tests need to be GLP? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
O Which role plays Inverse cdf of a Standard Normal Distribution in Formula for Z-Bench Using Minitab Software 8
J Any Difference Between Bench Top and Portable Hardness Tester? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
E Building a Calibration Room Test Bench - Finding components, test leads, etc. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
R How to determine magnification power? Illuminated bench-mounted magnifiers Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
N Bench Top Oven Calibration Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Installation Requirements for Bench Top Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Definition Bench Test - Definition (in FDA context) and its difference with Clinical Study? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
A How to Determine ESD mat dimensions for work bench? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
R Bench Marking in Construction Industry - Seeking Guidelines Benchmarking 8
J Does anyone know how to adjust/calibrate bench centers that are not parallel? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W CQI-9 Testing Fluids Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
XRAY_3121 Class II heating pad - does the power supply have to have IEC 60601-1 testing?? US Medical Device Regulations 5
T Testing for proving food safety on USP class vi material RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
J Risk Analysis for Proficiency Testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
Rene Minassian Control of (TMME) Testing and Measurement Equipment Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M Is complete testing required as per ISO 10993 for materials used in orthopedic implants or is literature review route possible Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
B A testing lab within an organization ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
B Package integrity Testing failure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Basic Lab Practices - related to ISO 17025 testing labs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
N Microbial testing on food packaging materials Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
A Stability Testing of a device with sterile fluid pathway claim Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Cosmetic Shelf Life Testing Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
S Safety testing IEC 60601 series Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M EE's - Laptops/Printer Change and Emissions Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
keya1tos EU to UK plug adapter correct testing standard CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
D IEC 60601-1-2: Is EMC immunity testing required for a device without essential performance? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15