Benchmarking New Supplier First Article Processes

R

RosieA

My company has recently created a Supplier Quality Engineering Dept. for which I am the manager.

One of my first tasks is to unify the Supplier First Article process across the 14 facilities in 7 counties, that comprise our division.

Today, the Strategic Sourcing group in procurement is responsible for locating new low cost suppliers and initiating the process of approving them. We do not have a common process for launching a first article. Some are started via an ECN, some plants have a New Product Announcement process, and some have something called a Trial Material Process.

As a result, Procurement gets confused, and when first articles come in QA is usually surprised and is scrambling to get the inspections done because everyone is waiting for the results.

I have talked to the division quality managers and some of the procurement people about their issues and frustrations. We have a few good processes, but are wondering if anyone else has a process we could benchmark, or a software that they're using to track new supplier initiative, specifically, the first article inspection process?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
<snip> Today, the Strategic Sourcing group in procurement is responsible for locating new low cost suppliers and initiating the process of approving them.<snip>
Hi Rosie,

I am afraid that the (main) criterion "low cost" is already established, and that "first article" inspection results will likely play second fiddle in the supplier approval process. Trust me Rosie, low cost comes with a price. Wishing you the best with this endeavor. ;)

Stijloor.

A

arios

May be the guys from the automotive sector would say that the PPAP process could serve as a benchmark for other industries in the area of parts qualification. I have been away from that sector for several years so I hope one of the cove members with that experience can elaborate more. No that you have to implement PPAP, but at least you can probably consider some concepts from that methodology.

R

RosieA

I hear you Stijloor. Price drives the bus, but we do not approve the supplier until the first article passes.

We're not in either the automotive or aerospace, or other regulated world, so what I'm looking for is more the logisitcs of launching and tracking first articles, vs a method do doing first articles.

Does that make sense?
Thanks for the feedback and links!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gunnyshore Benchmarking: Approved Supplier List for Multiple Sites Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
B Automotive Supplier Benchmarking - Supplier PPM Data Benchmarking 5
R Benchmarking Supplier Certification Programs Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
J Automotive makers strategy and benchmarking on supplier quality management Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
K Benchmarking and tracking Nonconformities - Template? Benchmarking 1
B Document Approval Matrix Benchmarking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Web based tool for benchmarking audit findings Benchmarking 6
M Benchmarking Process Data - Man-day calculation gone wrong Benchmarking 5
M What is Benchmarking? Benchmarking 7
M Benchmarking - Timely Closure of Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M Tell me about Benchmarking Benchmarking 4
W Benchmarking Teardown and Salvage Process Benchmarking 1
P Benchmarking and Continuous Improvement Tool Benchmarking 3
A CATERPILLAR BGPP (Benchmarking Guide for Painting Process) Questionnaire Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
P Cross Site Benchmarking of levels of business excellence Benchmarking 3
C Benchmarking Warranty Rates - What Rates should Trigger Actions? Benchmarking 1
C PPAP Benchmarking as it relates to the Aerospace Industry APQP and PPAP 7
V Benchmarking cGMP compliance (Systems compliance ) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
R Cost of Quality Benchmarking Information for the Electronics Industry Benchmarking 1
C Benchmarking our QMS against other organisations Benchmarking 8
S Benchmarking of Capability, Accuracy and Stability analyses - In Heat treatment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S Load Testing Benchmarking Benchmarking 3
S Benchmarking PVC Profile Extrusion Metrics Benchmarking 2
W Benchmarking vs. Goal Setting - Differences Benchmarking 3
M Benchmarking Audit programs General Auditing Discussions 13
F What's the best way to present benchmarking data? Benchmarking 6
C Benchmarking Preventive Maintenance Sales Benchmarking 0
Z Injection Molding cycle time benchmarking - Ball State University student Benchmarking 10
W Internal Benchmarking between product groups Benchmarking 4
B QFD (Quality Function Deployment) - World Class / Competitor Benchmarking Benchmarking 3
R What is the purpose of Benchmarking? Benchmarking 5
D Who can share Benchmarking Methods? Benchmarking 4
BradM DEA (Data Envelopment Analysis) for Benchmarking Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
A Information About Benchmarking Parameters of Castings Used for Automobile Sector Benchmarking 2
D Hospital benchmarking process - Rate of unplanned re-admissions Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 5
D How to Benchmark? Is Benchmarking of any value? Seeking advice Benchmarking 34
Crusader ISO 9001 Objectives Data for Benchmarking / Comparison Benchmarking 0
C Benchmarking The Worst in Business Benchmarking 5
P Benchmarking and how it differs from the ISO or QS standards? Benchmarking 1
Marc Definition Strategic Benchmarking - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition Benchmarking - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
J TL 9000 and benchmarking data - Wholesale distribution Benchmarking 3
M Benchmarking - Information Services Provider Benchmarking 4
Y Benchmarking and Success Rate Survey (ROI) from ISO 9001 Implementation Benchmarking 11
Geoff Cotton APQP Benchmarking Exercise - Help Wanted Benchmarking 5
M Benchmarking documentation systems as ISO 9004 suggests. Benchmarking 3
H Benchmarking - What objectives have your company set? Benchmarking 4
F Preventive and Predictive Maintenance - Benchmarking Partner Benchmarking 6
I Automotive Benchmarking Benchmarking 4
A Quality Organizational Chart Benchmarking - See attachment Benchmarking 11