Benchmarking Supplier Certification Programs

R

RosieA

I'm interested in benchmarking supplier certification programs that those of you on the Cove may be using.

Questions:
1. Do you have levels of supplier certification?

2. Do you reward your top performers, and if you do, how?

3. What are the components you include in your evaluation? EX: quality, delivery, responsiveness, price, technology innovation, etc.

4. What level of performance is considered to be an excellent supplier?

Thanks,
Rosie

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Supplier Certification Programs

I'm interested in benchmarking supplier certification programs that those of you on the Cove may be using.

Questions:

3. What are the components you include in your evaluation? EX: quality, delivery, responsiveness, price, technology innovation, etc.

Thanks,

Rosie
Can someone help Rosie?

Thank you!

Stijloor.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Questions:

Thanks,
Rosie

1. There are some rankings based upond scorescards evaluation
2. No
3. The same you said, including cost reduction program and other optional ( services, chance of training and support , documentaion and so on)
4. It depends on the goals setting and the possibility to have for them programs of continuous improvements ( example, usage of ISO TS method etc...):bigwave:

J

jasonb067

Yes, we have two types of certification. Suppliers which are ISO certified and suppliers what are what we call, "SQE Approved". The SQE Approved suppliers are not ISO certified and we have them on a six month or annual audit schedule based on their performance. This to help develop them to compliance of the standard without using a lot of their resources. These are typically very samll and specialized companies.

Yes, where it counts which is in the piece price. If based on our evaluations a company is Grade A Certified (I will explain below) we will pay up to X% more for their parts than those not Grade A. That % is set but I do not want to disclose in public.

Monthly we rate Quality Profile (PPM 70%, NCR 30%) + Delivery + Customer Satisfaction + Lean Processe Health. Those catagories are weighted Q. Profile 50%, Delivery 30% and 10% each for the balance. If performance drops below a certain value then an SQE will visit and an action plan for recovery will be started.

This rolling 6 mo. score is part of an overall evaluation which is done twice per year. This larger evaluation includes finicial risk, piece price, product engineering development. If, based on bench marking to the rest of our approved vendor list a supplier is scored into a top Y% then that company earns a Grade A Certified (yes, named after the USDA rating system). Grades range from A to D. Below that there is a non-rating category and those suppliers are to be removed from our approved vendor list.

We have one rating level above Grade A Certified. This rating is what we would consider excellent. Of over probably 300 companies evaluated only one has earned that rating. Our buyers are allowed to pay an even larger % for their parts.

Keep in mind we are an assembly operation and our suppliers are very important to our success. We do very little to no primary manufacturing in any of our facilities.

J

JDB55

I am also tasked with creating a certified supplier program for my company. Does anyone have a procedure or document that can help me get started?
I expect certified supplier means their products are shipped direct to stock without inspection. I need to define the roa map to get there. Any help is appreciated.
JDB

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

I am also tasked with creating a certified supplier program for my company. Does anyone have a procedure or document that can help me get started?
I expect certified supplier means their products are shipped direct to stock without inspection. I need to define the road map to get there, Any help is appreciated
JDB
You may want to look at a PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) that is used in the automotive industry. Also look at threads here associated with supplier selection and monitoring. Scroll down this page, and you'll find some links.

Stijloor.

R

red66climb

This is a strong supplier evaluation program. This is a great example to follow as best practices.

R

red66climb

Prior to working in the medical device industry I worked in automotive. The PPAP process forces suppliers to do a great job of planning and validation prior to launching a new product for customers. This PPAP process also requires that suppliers perform an in-depth process risk analysis (pFMEA) for all production processes and the auto industry requires use of 8D's to address SCARs.

There are similar examples of strong supplier certification programs in consumer products (i.e. - P&G), medical devices (i.e. - Medline), and aerospace companies (i.e. - Boeing). All three examples use supplier scorecards and have rigorous processes for supplier re-evaluation. P&G leverages suppliers used by sister divisions. Medline sends auditors to China to visit multiple suppliers during one trip. Boeing gives out some really fancy plaques that suppliers proudly display. Many companies are expanding the audit criteria to include safety, environmental concerns, and social concerns.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gunnyshore Benchmarking: Approved Supplier List for Multiple Sites Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
B Automotive Supplier Benchmarking - Supplier PPM Data Benchmarking 5
R Benchmarking New Supplier First Article Processes Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
J Automotive makers strategy and benchmarking on supplier quality management Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
K Benchmarking and tracking Nonconformities - Template? Benchmarking 1
B Document Approval Matrix Benchmarking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Web based tool for benchmarking audit findings Benchmarking 6
M Benchmarking Process Data - Man-day calculation gone wrong Benchmarking 5
M What is Benchmarking? Benchmarking 7
M Benchmarking - Timely Closure of Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M Tell me about Benchmarking Benchmarking 4
W Benchmarking Teardown and Salvage Process Benchmarking 1
P Benchmarking and Continuous Improvement Tool Benchmarking 3
A CATERPILLAR BGPP (Benchmarking Guide for Painting Process) Questionnaire Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
P Cross Site Benchmarking of levels of business excellence Benchmarking 3
C Benchmarking Warranty Rates - What Rates should Trigger Actions? Benchmarking 1
C PPAP Benchmarking as it relates to the Aerospace Industry APQP and PPAP 7
V Benchmarking cGMP compliance (Systems compliance ) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
R Cost of Quality Benchmarking Information for the Electronics Industry Benchmarking 1
C Benchmarking our QMS against other organisations Benchmarking 8
S Benchmarking of Capability, Accuracy and Stability analyses - In Heat treatment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S Load Testing Benchmarking Benchmarking 3
S Benchmarking PVC Profile Extrusion Metrics Benchmarking 2
W Benchmarking vs. Goal Setting - Differences Benchmarking 3
M Benchmarking Audit programs General Auditing Discussions 13
F What's the best way to present benchmarking data? Benchmarking 6
C Benchmarking Preventive Maintenance Sales Benchmarking 0
Z Injection Molding cycle time benchmarking - Ball State University student Benchmarking 10
W Internal Benchmarking between product groups Benchmarking 4
B QFD (Quality Function Deployment) - World Class / Competitor Benchmarking Benchmarking 3
R What is the purpose of Benchmarking? Benchmarking 5
D Who can share Benchmarking Methods? Benchmarking 4
BradM DEA (Data Envelopment Analysis) for Benchmarking Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
A Information About Benchmarking Parameters of Castings Used for Automobile Sector Benchmarking 2
D Hospital benchmarking process - Rate of unplanned re-admissions Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 5
D How to Benchmark? Is Benchmarking of any value? Seeking advice Benchmarking 34
Crusader ISO 9001 Objectives Data for Benchmarking / Comparison Benchmarking 0
C Benchmarking The Worst in Business Benchmarking 5
P Benchmarking and how it differs from the ISO or QS standards? Benchmarking 1
Marc Definition Strategic Benchmarking - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition Benchmarking - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
J TL 9000 and benchmarking data - Wholesale distribution Benchmarking 3
M Benchmarking - Information Services Provider Benchmarking 4
Y Benchmarking and Success Rate Survey (ROI) from ISO 9001 Implementation Benchmarking 11
Geoff Cotton APQP Benchmarking Exercise - Help Wanted Benchmarking 5
M Benchmarking documentation systems as ISO 9004 suggests. Benchmarking 3
H Benchmarking - What objectives have your company set? Benchmarking 4
F Preventive and Predictive Maintenance - Benchmarking Partner Benchmarking 6
I Automotive Benchmarking Benchmarking 4
A Quality Organizational Chart Benchmarking - See attachment Benchmarking 11