Best Document Control Software

S

Sean Kelley

Who has used or seen various document control software and which one is best. I would like to create graphical flowcharts and link these to procedure, work instructions, forms, etc. Thanks for your input.

We are currently using Munkeby DocControl from Sweden. It was mandated early on from corporate but our new President supports me booting them. They have 0 customer support. I have asked since early June how I might gain editing rights as my QC engineer has changed positions and is no longer editing documents. They have been terrbile at support. Do not use them.:frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
I've seen a demo for TrackWise and it seemed to be a really good program. Very good tracking. reporting and control. There are ads for it in Quality Progress magazine (ASQ). There are many others out there, though, I'm sure.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
'Name Dropping' In The Elsmar Cove Forums

Okay, since everybody else is namedropping.... look into MasterControl. It does all of what you've described you are looking for.
NOTE: It is OK to 'name drop' all you want - As long as you use the software, registrar, consultant, web site or whatever, and are posting as a participant here in the forums, no problem. We do *Require* that anyone who is associated with a company (or whatever) add a Disclaimer, as a minimum. Think of this sorta as Consumer Reports. If you're a user, by all means tell us you opinions. Companies (or whatever) mentioned here are free to respond in the appropriate discussion thread if they want to as long as they disclose their relationship with the company.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
Re: 'Name Dropping' In The Elsmar Cove Forums

I am in the process of applying for reseller status because I think so highly of the application, which I've observed several very impressive demonstrations of and have researched pretty thoroughly.
Bottom line is you do have, or will have, a 'vested interest' in the company, so a Disclaimer is appropriate.

The best 'sellers' are those who use the software (or whatever) 'every day' (with respect to the service {such as a registrar} or product).

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Maybe I can put the issue in perspective. At one time (less than two years ago), I was considered an expert in the matter of electronic document management.

I ALWAYS declined to give a brand name recommendation for two reasons:
  1. each customer is different and may need different features or different pricing than another.
  2. software changes so rapidly, one brand may be obsoleted by improvements in another brand, literally overnight, making my original recommendation look lame.
My suggestion is to read this post of mine (http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=120515&postcount=2) to get an idea of the general features available and decide the ones most important for your operation.

Primary considerations should be number of users, locations of users, whether you want to include customers, suppliers in the loop, security considerations, frequency of revision, number of documents, number of native formats, etc.

Once you have that, then you can start reviewing ONLY the software that meets those criteria.

Bottom line: trust me - this is not a decision to be made from a casual recommendation on an internet forum, even here on the Cove. This may be one of those things where it pays to hire an advisor to make an honest appraisal of your needs.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Maybe I can put the issue in perspective. At one time (less than two years ago), I was considered an expert in the matter of electronic document management.

I ALWAYS declined to give a brand name recommendation for two reasons:
  1. each customer is different and may need different features or different pricing than another.
  2. software changes so rapidly, one brand may be obsoleted by improvements in another brand, literally overnight, making my original recommendation look lame.
My suggestion is to read this post of mine (http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=120515&postcount=2) to get an idea of the general features available and decide the ones most important for your operation.

Primary considerations should be number of users, locations of users, whether you want to include customers, suppliers in the loop, security considerations, frequency of revision, number of documents, number of native formats, etc.

Once you have that, then you can start reviewing ONLY the software that meets those criteria.

Bottom line: trust me - this is not a decision to be made from a casual recommendation on an internet forum, even here on the Cove. This may be one of those things where it pays to hire an advisor to make an honest appraisal of your needs.
Wes, you are still an expert on electronic document control, and I agree with your assessment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M How to Choose the Best Document Control Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
J The best way to address this Document and Record Control scenario! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
M What is the best Electronic Document Control Management System? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 46
D The best way to Document Process Details in Accounting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D The Best Way to Document In-Process Inspections using MIL-STD-1916 1/12 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
G Seeking reference guides/ documentation /tips on verification best practices Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
D Ultra low freezer thermometers, best practices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Question: Best alternatives to audits for ensuring compliance Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
PQ Systems Best Practices In Gage Management Using GAGEpack Software 0
Q Best off presentation of process flows Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 16
Q Best country to import medical devices into Europe Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
M Best accreditation body for AS9100D Lead facility auditor? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P DFMEA - Machinery Design Best Practices FMEA and Control Plans 0
G Best way to calc uncert for measuring microscope without duplicating repeatability? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
William55401 Distributed By Product - Best Practices for Configuration Management and Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
P Best european location to set up for a virtual medical device manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
optomist1 Best Optical Comparators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
qualprod Best practice to ensure inputting of data in production Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
M Best profilometer for the money General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S What is the best method to bond urethane foam to urethane foam? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
qualprod Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
I Non-Conformance vs OFI -- your best descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 61
A What are Practical data center best practices IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
R Bill of Materials for a complex product - Industry best practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D What is the best software used for the pharma compliance management? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M Informational MHRA launches consultation on how to best engage patients and the public Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
optomist1 Mobility Field Manufacturing Best - Worst Practices Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
N Best practices for capturing audit objective evidence in a practical manner? Internal Auditing 3
S How to Learn all aspects of ISO 27001:2013 | The best way to grab the knowledge on 27001:2013 (Step by Step) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
I Best visual description for SOPs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Z Best Practices - small volume medical device tube cutting (0.020" to 0.080" OD)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Over-labelling - Any requirements or best-practices? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Informational DITTA White Paper on Cybersecurity: Best Practices in the Medical Technology Manufacturing Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational BSI – MDR Documentation Submissions Best Practices Guidelines Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Which clause would best fit this Nonconformance? (Supplier Related) Internal Auditing 2
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Expiry date vs. Best Before Date - Reagents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9