Best Document Control Software

S

Sean Kelley

Who has used or seen various document control software and which one is best. I would like to create graphical flowcharts and link these to procedure, work instructions, forms, etc. Thanks for your input.

We are currently using Munkeby DocControl from Sweden. It was mandated early on from corporate but our new President supports me booting them. They have 0 customer support. I have asked since early June how I might gain editing rights as my QC engineer has changed positions and is no longer editing documents. They have been terrbile at support. Do not use them.:frust:

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
I've seen a demo for TrackWise and it seemed to be a really good program. Very good tracking. reporting and control. There are ads for it in Quality Progress magazine (ASQ). There are many others out there, though, I'm sure.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
'Name Dropping' In The Elsmar Cove Forums

Okay, since everybody else is namedropping.... look into MasterControl. It does all of what you've described you are looking for.
NOTE: It is OK to 'name drop' all you want - As long as you use the software, registrar, consultant, web site or whatever, and are posting as a participant here in the forums, no problem. We do *Require* that anyone who is associated with a company (or whatever) add a Disclaimer, as a minimum. Think of this sorta as Consumer Reports. If you're a user, by all means tell us you opinions. Companies (or whatever) mentioned here are free to respond in the appropriate discussion thread if they want to as long as they disclose their relationship with the company.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: 'Name Dropping' In The Elsmar Cove Forums

I am in the process of applying for reseller status because I think so highly of the application, which I've observed several very impressive demonstrations of and have researched pretty thoroughly.

Bottom line is you do have, or will have, a 'vested interest' in the company, so a Disclaimer is appropriate.

The best 'sellers' are those who use the software (or whatever) 'every day' (with respect to the service {such as a registrar} or product).

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Maybe I can put the issue in perspective. At one time (less than two years ago), I was considered an expert in the matter of electronic document management.

I ALWAYS declined to give a brand name recommendation for two reasons:
  1. each customer is different and may need different features or different pricing than another.
  2. software changes so rapidly, one brand may be obsoleted by improvements in another brand, literally overnight, making my original recommendation look lame.
My suggestion is to read this post of mine (http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=120515&postcount=2) to get an idea of the general features available and decide the ones most important for your operation.

Primary considerations should be number of users, locations of users, whether you want to include customers, suppliers in the loop, security considerations, frequency of revision, number of documents, number of native formats, etc.

Once you have that, then you can start reviewing ONLY the software that meets those criteria.

Bottom line: trust me - this is not a decision to be made from a casual recommendation on an internet forum, even here on the Cove. This may be one of those things where it pays to hire an advisor to make an honest appraisal of your needs.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Maybe I can put the issue in perspective. At one time (less than two years ago), I was considered an expert in the matter of electronic document management.

I ALWAYS declined to give a brand name recommendation for two reasons:
  1. each customer is different and may need different features or different pricing than another.
  2. software changes so rapidly, one brand may be obsoleted by improvements in another brand, literally overnight, making my original recommendation look lame.
My suggestion is to read this post of mine (http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=120515&postcount=2) to get an idea of the general features available and decide the ones most important for your operation.

Primary considerations should be number of users, locations of users, whether you want to include customers, suppliers in the loop, security considerations, frequency of revision, number of documents, number of native formats, etc.

Once you have that, then you can start reviewing ONLY the software that meets those criteria.

Bottom line: trust me - this is not a decision to be made from a casual recommendation on an internet forum, even here on the Cove. This may be one of those things where it pays to hire an advisor to make an honest appraisal of your needs.

Wes, you are still an expert on electronic document control, and I agree with your assessment.

Top Bottom