Best feedback loop practices in defect communication between Quality and Manufacturing

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
In the company where I work now I am facing a big problem - there is no communication on the production line between workers. I mean the Quaity Inspector is finding defects at the end of the line, puts them in the statistics and that's all. Line Leaders and Quality Inspectors are not communicating at all, nor the Line Leader is passing any information about the defects to its people. There are many issues within the organisation, but this one is so important, because the information about what's going on in the process is not transferred back to the assembly workers. The general culture for Quality and the commitment of management seems really bad. The focus is on the product inspection, not in the process and process improvement philosophy is not practiced at all.

Any good practices from your experiences for effective feedback loops between Line Leader - Quality and from there to the workers? From next week they will start to meet before the shift to discuss the data from the process, after the breaks as well and I plan to request for the defects the operator to be informed with a signature form that he has committed an error and in case of 3 (for example) consecutive errors further actions to be taken.

Your input is welcomed as always for any best-practices based on your experience. Thanks.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
First I would confirm if they tried such things prior And/or why they aren’t. Maybe it was tried and of little value? Also, have your numbers ready. Don’t try to solve a $10 problem with a $10,000 solution.

Once you get there, then it’s about getting those lines of communication open. It would probably help if your head of production and yourself set the example, then push that down to the lower levels.

Kronos147

How do you disposition the discovered defects?

In many organizations the MRB is comprised of members from the different disciplines. A review of a reported nonconformity between the quality and manufacturing group, it should ensure that the groups are aware of the issue.

Then there is the disposition itself. If dispositioned rework, perhaps assign the rework to the party responsible (i.e. Fred forgot to install the widget, so have Fred install the widget).

Also, if the nonconformance is raised to a corrective action, in the action itself, there could be a requirement to notify the group responsible, and have them participate in the solution (the correction itself).

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
there is no communication on the production line between workers.
This is not a communication problem. It is a problem arising from the fact you have no basic system in place. Any incipient quality system has something that resembles a corrective action process, in which data is not only gathered, but also analyzed and acted upon. It is quality systems 101.

And, against what some false prophets try to say, it is the responsibility of top management to not only authorize but actually demand such a process exists to drive efficiency, improve quality and reduce waste. That’s why 9001 states that the implementation of a quality system is a strategic decision. And only top management can dictate strategy for an organization.

Good luck.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
All good advice above. The one missing element in my experience is that the production manager needs to be accountable and have goals for how many defects reach QC. BALANCED goals are necessary: safety, quality and production. If the manager has no skin in the game they won’t give a hoot about the defect rate or the communication.

A word of caution: without knowing what your product is or what defects you are seeing, my experience is that most defects are not caused by the operators. They are inherent in the product and process design. It is up to YOU and any engineering your organization has to determine the causal mechanisms and how best to fix them.

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
This is not a communication problem. It is a problem arising from the fact you have no basic system in place. Any incipient quality system has something that resembles a corrective action process, in which data is not only gathered, but also analyzed and acted upon. It is quality systems 101.

And, against what some false prophets try to say, it is the responsibility of top management to not only authorize but actually demand such a process exists to drive efficiency, improve quality and reduce waste. That’s why 9001 states that the implementation of a quality system is a strategic decision. And only top management can dictate strategy for an organization.

Good luck.
Yes, I agree. When I arrived in the organisation I was just showed the data from my quality colleagues and when I asked to see the root-cause analysis and any action plans, there weren't any. So we started going in the production and work on the problems. I will try to bring in some good ideas, but if top management does not support it will be a waste. Anyway it hurts to listen only to excuses and false theories without proper analysis why something does not work.
All good advice above. The one missing element in my experience is that the production manager needs to be accountable and have goals for how many defects reach QC. BALANCED goals are necessary: safety, quality and production. If the manager has no skin in the game they won’t give a hoot about the defect rate or the communication.

A word of caution: without knowing what your product is or what defects you are seeing, my experience is that most defects are not caused by the operators. They are inherent in the product and process design. It is up to YOU and any engineering your organization has to determine the causal mechanisms and how best to fix them.
As is written in the books - management has the fault for at least 95% of the defects in the production. Can't agree more with that. And as Deming has said "a bad system will always beat a good employee".

Golfman25

Yes, I agree. When I arrived in the organisation I was just showed the data from my quality colleagues and when I asked to see the root-cause analysis and any action plans, there weren't any. So we started going in the production and work on the problems. I will try to bring in some good ideas, but if top management does not support it will be a waste. Anyway it hurts to listen only to excuses and false theories without proper analysis why something does not work.
So what did the data say? Did it include $$$ amounts? You want to get management attention, talk their language — money. Data without dollars is incomplete.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
So what did the data say? Did it include $$$ amounts? You want to get management attention, talk their language — money. Data without dollars is incomplete.
Of course that requires knowledge of how to calculate true cost of poor quality and that management believes that calculation.
There are none so blind as those that will not see and none so deaf as those that won’t listen and none so ignorant as those that will not think.

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
Yes, there is a cost of poor quality, but I haven't done my own research there yet. Not sure figures are trustworthy. It's something that needs to be done.

Of course that requires knowledge of how to calculate true cost of poor quality and that management believes that calculation.
There are none so blind as those that will not see and none so deaf as those that won’t listen and none so ignorant as those that will not think.
Where do you think most people get it wrong with that exercise?

Golfman25

Yes, there is a cost of poor quality, but I haven't done my own research there yet. Not sure figures are trustworthy. It's something that needs to be done.

Where do you think most people get it wrong with that exercise?
So basically you’re at step 0. IMO before pursuing your communication issues, iron the money out so people know what is actually at stake. You’ll get more buy in.

Top Bottom