Best Internal Auditor Training

kwalityguy

Involved In Discussions
I have a new person who I want to train as an ISO 9001 internal auditor. What are today's best sources for internal auditor training? While I could do the training myself, it is not convenient due to the fact that we work in different cities and I want to break the "in breeding" in our current crop of auditors. Would prefer on-line or Dallas Tx training locations since the proposed auditor is a new mother making travel undesirable.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
IMO you are going to have to do at least some of the training yourself, regarding your specific forms, procedures, etc. so why not do it all? Use zoom or whatever. Improve the training if needed, and maybe use the opportunity to re-train/refresh some current auditors.

AndreaPBeagle

Starting to get Involved
ASQ or BSI really are the gold standard in the quality world.

I like SAE as well; however, I've only used it for ISO 13485:2016 Lead auditor. There's also Dekra and others out there-I would verify what the test looks like and if there are practical examples.

Randy

Super Moderator
What are today's best sources for internal auditor training?
There is no actual "Best", it's whatever meets your needs and how you wind up using it. I've seen absolute fantastic audit planning and performance where there was no formal training at all and the competence of the auditor was displayed in what was delivered. I've also seen where thousands of dollars were spent by organizations for internal auditor training and the results were absolute *rap!

I audit internal audits all the time (did one today in fact that was marginal but OK) and it's not the training, it's the expectations, the attitudes involved, the value desired, and utilization of the results.

ChrisM

Quite Involved in Discussions
In-person training can depend not only on the organization you choose to provide the training but also the individual trainer. I have worked at a place where we used one main external training company for auditing, six sigma etc, and the first course I went on...... it was a two-part course and the majority vote resulted in us contacting the company and requiring them to send a different trainer for the second part of the course (which went much better)

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
The best audit training I ever received was a training on ISO 19011:2018 (Guidelines for auditing management systems). Unfortunately, I can't find the name of the group that provided the training. Could be something to look into if you're trying to step up the audit game of your QMS as a whole.

pavanamg

Starting to get Involved
I have used SAE for lead auditor training on ISO 13485. Can we use Udemy lead auditor course and present it internal auditor ?

Jean_B

Trusted Information Resource
I have a new person who I want to train as an ISO 9001 internal auditor. What are today's best sources for internal auditor training? While I could do the training myself, it is not convenient due to the fact that we work in different cities and I want to break the "in breeding" in our current crop of auditors. Would prefer on-line or Dallas Tx training locations since the proposed auditor is a new mother making travel undesirable.

I'd still try to keep a level-headed internal trainer for your internal and supplier auditing.
Formalize after a year in which at least a few audits were performed; when you're not confident for independence have them do so as co-auditor or with peer-reviewed report on low risk audits.
The training only really becomes worth its money after people have experienced auditing. Then, in the past we've gone with BSI and NEN, but to be honest performance varies more with the trainer than the material being trained on.
What you should worry more about is the evaluation of competence, as most training course have not been validated to result in competence for the diversity of people joining the course. Some certificate (not even on paper anymore these days) is not a guarantee for that.

Randy

Super Moderator
Then, in the past we've gone with BSI and NEN, but to be honest performance varies more with the trainer than the material being trained on.
Yep you're right. In the past when I was doing approvals on trainers I didn't accept those that had no for real 1st hand experience in the subject matter mainly because they had very little to share. I distinctly remember not approving a couple that didn't know ISO 19011 from a snow shovel....Sorry to say, those days are long gone

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I recommend Oriel Stat-A-Matrix. I've personally taken their Exemplar Global Lead Auditor training, a 5 day course.
They have internal auditor training which is 3 days and can be done remotely which we have used for our internal audit team.
Oriel STAT A MATRIX

Top Bottom