Best Optical Comparators

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
To All Metrology Covers,

I am in the market for an Optical Comparator (OC), to be used to sample/measure automotive and aero electrical contacts and connector bodies....any suggestions as to the best investment, will need some room for growth along with a video capability....PC interface, etc

Thanks in advance
Optomist1

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hey Ninja, definitely an OC, as we are attempting to as much as possible duplicate the custoemrs inspection, gaging and methods, so to eliminate any set up issues if data diverges...budget, my guess right now $8-18K?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
as we are attempting to as much as possible duplicate the custoemrs inspection,
What does the customer use?

I have had excellent results with a Vertex 120, though I've heard great stuff about the Keyence systems...but neither is an OC, they are both CMMs.
...These days I wonder how much those labels overlap...thus my question...
The Vertex120 would fit in your budget. I would expect an OC to be much cheaper since it does less. (labels and translation applied)

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Ninja, ur spot on just found out they use Starrett Sigma HB400...so best bet to search for one new/used of same brand model....when push comes to shove and correlating data probably the best bet? Re: CMM, I agree though I believe in the present case, cusotmer will ultimately be providing this as part of a larger CFT package...long-term CMM is the way to go though

Ninja

Looking for Reality
FWIW, if it were me, I would look for something I could use as widely as possible...not just for that customer.

We got a CMM (Vertex 120 mentioned) to please a customer. Once I saw what it could do, we transitioned 10+ other unrelated test methods to it...so fast, so cheap, so much more accurate. 2hrs of testing went to 20 minutes....per day...

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
good points & suggestion...ill check it out...I am assuming this is a bench top CMM? I am a GDT guy so this is more in line with my thinking as well

Ninja

Looking for Reality
I am most familiar with the Vertex 120

I have heard great things about the Keyence non-movement system, but all I can find now is their new handheld probe model.

Both are benchtop.

I don't work for either company and have no direct interest in either.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
copied, and odd the Vertex 120 is not shown on the Micro Vu website will look further...

Ninja

Looking for Reality
They may have let that one go by...looks like the 261 is the most similar to what I had.
It's the software programming ease that made me choose that one over the OGP or Keyence at the time...it is worth revisiting all three (and others like Zeiss) for both price and ease of use.

Top Bottom