Best place in QMS to manage Quality Objectives

T

triver525

I am in the middle of rewriting my client's quality manual and I wanted to get your opinions about where is the best place to document the company's Quality Objectives.

Quality Objectives are directly referenced in sections 4.2.1.a, 5.1.c, 5.3.c, 5.4.1, and 7.1.a (among others I'm sure) and indirectly referenced in many other places. I have been reviewing the huge volume of example quality manuals publicly available and I don't see much consistency in where the actual management defined quality objectives are documented.

The best I can see is that there are two schools of thought:
  1. Quality Objectives are listed in Section 5.4.1 of the Quality Manual (typical template).
  2. Quality Objectives are documented in a seperate document (eg. Appendix A1).

I can see the benefits of both but I would like to hear some of your opinions.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Separate. Being part of the quality manual uses the old idea of having requirements from each clause from the standard on the manual which really sucks.

T

triver525

So an appendix is probably the way to go then? I was under the impression that appendices are uncontrolled.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
A separate document for quality objectives would better. Not an appendix.

Regarding controlled documents, you decide what is controlled or not (a document defining and maintaining quality objectives surely will be).

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
normzone,

Not necessarily. You can avoid having to rev the whole manual by having separate rev control over each Exhibit to the manual for policy, objectives, organization, sequence and interaction of processes diagram etc...

But as you suggest, a living Management System Performance Report is a good place to maintain quality objectives and the progress toward meeting them.

John

Surely they can simply be part of the management review and documented as a matter of record from that? Why does everything have to be part of some manual or an appendix? It doesn't seem appropriate to me and when I was implementing management systems, putting them into a document which rarely saw the light of day, doesn't seem right. Putting them into the management review as a matter of planning (isn't that what it's there for, in part?) seems to be a much more appropriate place...

G

greenfen

The company I work for does not have a single document which lists all the separate objectives etc. in fact it hasn't even published the top level business objectives to the rest of the organisation, so it's not clear to employees where it's heading :eek:what we do have is an appraisal system (a 'personal development review'), part of which reviews individuals objectives for the coming year, and so is documented in that way. The problem is, they're probably not measurable at this stage. My idea is to extract the agreed objectives from the individual PDR's, place them into a single 'list of objectives' and create measurable KPI's. Would this be sufficient?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
The company I work for does not have a single document which lists all the separate objectives etc. in fact it hasn't even published the top level business objectives to the rest of the organisation, so it's not clear to employees where it's heading :eek:what we do have is an appraisal system (a 'personal development review'), part of which reviews individuals objectives for the coming year, and so is documented in that way. The problem is, they're probably not measurable at this stage. My idea is to extract the agreed objectives from the individual PDR's, place them into a single 'list of objectives' and create measurable KPI's. Would this be sufficient?
greenfen,

"Good people are defeated by bad systems".

Setting up individual employees to battle their system and compete against each other to fulfill their personal objectives strikes me as wasteful, fear inducing and ineffective.

Why not establish system objectives (these are related to your organization's mission) and objectives for each of the processes in your system so process teams help each other to fulfill process and system objectives?

This also happens to conform to ISO 9001 and its derivative management system standards.

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Best place is to purchase IEC 60417 labels that will pass markings test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
5 Promoting 5S in the Work Place - What's the best way to do it? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
H Best place to keep myself updated on EU Regulatory Changes EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Best Place to Purchase a Copy of ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Is having an NCR system in place the best way to track rework costs? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
C The best place to purchase the ISO 9001:2000 standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R ISO Publications - Where the best place to purchase ISO 9001 publications? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
qualprod Best practice to ensure inputting of data in production Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
M Best profilometer for the money General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S What is the best method to bond urethane foam to urethane foam? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
qualprod Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
I Non-Conformance vs OFI -- your best descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 61
A What are Practical data center best practices IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
R Bill of Materials for a complex product - Industry best practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D What is the best software used for the pharma compliance management? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M Informational MHRA launches consultation on how to best engage patients and the public Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
optomist1 Mobility Field Manufacturing Best - Worst Practices Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
N Best practices for capturing audit objective evidence in a practical manner? Internal Auditing 3
S How to Learn all aspects of ISO 27001:2013 | The best way to grab the knowledge on 27001:2013 (Step by Step) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
I Best visual description for SOPs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Z Best Practices - small volume medical device tube cutting (0.020" to 0.080" OD)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Over-labelling - Any requirements or best-practices? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Informational DITTA White Paper on Cybersecurity: Best Practices in the Medical Technology Manufacturing Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational BSI – MDR Documentation Submissions Best Practices Guidelines Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Which clause would best fit this Nonconformance? (Supplier Related) Internal Auditing 2
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Expiry date vs. Best Before Date - Reagents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C Will anyone please share training material for ISO:13485:2016 for best practices Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
E Best GD&T training - Your suggestions and recommendations please Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M PCBA Drawing Best Practices IPC Class 3 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Ron Rompen Best Practices in CMM Correlation Studies General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Best approach to tackle difficult certifications Career and Occupation Discussions 2
E Best Ways to Close a Project APQP and PPAP 3
S Opinions on the "Best" CMM for High Accuracy Machining General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C What is the best ISO 22000 template pack to purchase? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
M Best Type of Grease for Vex Plastic Gears Manufacturing and Related Processes 5