Best Practice - Customer Specific Requirements

J

jasonb067

What are the best practices for trickling customer specific requirements into the organization?

Searched but could not find any previous posts.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
What are the best practices for trickling customer specific requirements into the organization?

Searched but could not find any previous posts.

Could you be more specific? "Trickling" CSRs sounds like something that needs to be mopped up. :D

J

jasonb067

So, for example...

A customer has a requirement for maintaining a min and max inventory level which was described in a document which was refered to in another document which was referenced by number in a contract.

How do the production control people learn the min max inventory requirement?

Just an example. Can apply to any requirement which could have an impact on any part of the supplier.

Hope this makes the for instance, I need to go get my mop now.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
So, for example...

A customer has a requirement for maintaining a min and max inventory level which was described in a document which was refered to in another document which was referenced by number in a contract.

How do the production control people learn the min max inventory requirement?

Just an example. Can apply to any requirement which could have an impact on any part of the supplier.

Hope this makes the for instance, I need to go get my mop now.

The sort answer is "contract review." There should be a process in place to go over the terms and requirements and notify people who need to know about such things. It's a basic part of the APQP process.

In one automotive company where I worked, where there were new jobs coming in on a regular basis, there were weekly meetings attended by people from sales, QA, production, production control, engineering and others for whom there might be special requirements. The first meeting for each new project dealt with making sure that everyone understood the requirements and their own role in fulfilling them, and usually dealt with feasibility issues. Subsequent meetings tracked progress and verified that requirements were being met.

J

JQuality

We hold periodic reviews of the customer specific requirements with the affected areas/departments and then integrate the specifics into the work instructions/procedures to ensure continuity of requirements if/when personnel change.

D

Doug

The sort answer is "contract review." There should be a process in place to go over the terms and requirements and notify people who need to know about such things. It's a basic part of the APQP process.

In one automotive company where I worked, where there were new jobs coming in on a regular basis, there were weekly meetings attended by people from sales, QA, production, production control, engineering and others for whom there might be special requirements. The first meeting for each new project dealt with making sure that everyone understood the requirements and their own role in fulfilling them, and usually dealt with feasibility issues. Subsequent meetings tracked progress and verified that requirements were being met.

Well said. This was (is) the format used in my previous organization. The Contract Review Process worked well.

Randy

Super Moderator
I kinda figured that's what 7.2.1, 7.2.2 and 5.5.3 should be helping to do as well as this little item....

5.5.2 Management representative
Top management shall appoint a member of the organization's management who, irrespective of other responsibilities, shall have responsibility and authority that includes....c) ensuring the promotion of awareness of customer requirements throughout the organization.

Oh yeah, 7.2.1 & 7.2.2 entail reviewing contracts

Top Bottom