Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
Hi All

Firstly is the DFMEA applicable to parts or only components and systems?

If applicable, what is the best practice for isolating/identifying items of a part for DFMEA analysis? I'm trying to apply DFMEA to a complex bracket, would things like the bolt holes, support struts etc. be classified as items within the DFMEA?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Not sure what the current-thinking is in the aerospace world (my background is mostly medical devices) but since nobody has weighed in yet, I'll toss in my thoughts.

What happens if the bolt holes are too big or too small? What if the support struts fail? I would guess a lot would depend on the situation but the whole idea behind the FMEA (including DFMEA) is to consider all failure modes and ways the failures can be realized. If such questions aren't addressed in the DFMEA, where would they be considered?

tahirawan11

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

We are in the business of developing professional cleaning equipment. During the development phase, we agree on the FMEA of scope and mostly our new products are an update to the existing machine. Therefore we include below item in the FMEA scope.
1. New components or interfaces​
2. Modified components or interfaces​
3. Components with higher failure rate from field (if applicable)​
Interfaces could be very important to include as many times the failures happen at the interface.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Bill of Materials for a complex product - Industry best practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
bio_subbu NBOG Publishes revised best practice guidance documents (Nov 2014) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Audit Protocol Manual which describes best practice Auditing Standards General Auditing Discussions 1
D Number of Internal Auditors Best Practice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
A Industry best practice about Post-Market Surveillance and Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
K Is this Best Practice Auditing? General Auditing Discussions 3
I Best Practice in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Medical Device Manufacturing Process Monitoring Best Practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I RoHS vs Non-RoHS - Best Practice for preventing Cross-Contamination? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
E SPC Corrective Actions - Best Practice with Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
V What is best practice to track Quality Teams Effectiveness & Efficiency. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V The best practice to maintain & link Design and Process FMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 8
A Instructions for Use - Best Practice to meet all International Regulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Corrective Action Numbering and Indexing Best Practice Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
B SSOW - Safe Systems of Work - Good examples for best practice needed Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
A Best Practice for Documenting Design Reviews 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
jasonb067 Best Practice - Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
bio_subbu NBOG?s Best Practice guidance documents to implement the directive 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Best practice on documents turning into records, test and validation plan ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Innovations and Best Practice in Software Testing Software Quality Assurance 5
A Best Practice in Printing Industry - New project to improve the printing process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
C What is the best practice to label small tools (small pins) which cannot be scribed? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C User Acceptance Testing best practice - conducted on production server or test server Software Quality Assurance 0
Q Seeking Best Practice of Parts Segregation Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S What is the best method to bond urethane foam to urethane foam? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
I Non-Conformance vs OFI -- your best descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 61
A What are Practical data center best practices IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D What is the best software used for the pharma compliance management? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M Informational MHRA launches consultation on how to best engage patients and the public Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
optomist1 Mobility Field Manufacturing Best - Worst Practices Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Q Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
N Best practices for capturing audit objective evidence in a practical manner? Internal Auditing 3
S How to Learn all aspects of ISO 27001:2013 | The best way to grab the knowledge on 27001:2013 (Step by Step) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
I Best visual description for SOPs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Z Best Practices - small volume medical device tube cutting (0.020" to 0.080" OD)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Over-labelling - Any requirements or best-practices? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Informational DITTA White Paper on Cybersecurity: Best Practices in the Medical Technology Manufacturing Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational BSI – MDR Documentation Submissions Best Practices Guidelines Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Which clause would best fit this Nonconformance? (Supplier Related) Internal Auditing 2
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8