Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing

marcusja2002

Involved In Discussions
I looked through the forum and couldn't find the information I was looking for, so hopefully the forum can help me out.

I'm looking for information to help guide my engineering department toward a better way to control and standardize our drawings. Specifically tolerances.

They seem to be stuck on the methodology of using decimal places of a dimension sets the tolerances.

I feel this method limits accuracy, for example.

If I need to convert a dimension there is a big difference between .125" and .13". (3.175mm vs 3.302mm). I also have a tough time believing 1-1/8"(1.125) needs to be held tighter than 1-1/4" (1.25).

GD&T is the best, but its $$$$ to train. I'm trying to suggest an improved methodology without the need for a whole new drafting language.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
On the mechanical drawings I have seen throughout my career, for dimensions that do not specifically state a tolerance (i.e. Unspecified tolerance), it uses the number of decimals to determine the tolerance:

.X = ±.030
.XX = ±.010
.XXX= ±.005
Fractions = ±1/16

This is put into the title block of the drawing. When the print puts the number of decimal place needed: .250 would be ±.005 while .25 would be ±.010

This works for non-specific tolerances. If a tolerance is listed next to the dimension it overrides the unspecified: For example .250 ±.001. Other things can be put into the title block such as non-specific surface finish requirements, edge breaks, and fillet radii.

NOTE: I don't know what type of drawings you are dealing with, my career has only dealt with mechanical drawings following ASME Y14.5 standards.

.125" and .13". (3.175mm vs 3.302mm). I also have a tough time believing 1-1/8"(1.125) needs to be held tighter than 1-1/4" (1.25).
From an manufacturing point of view, .125 and .13 are different. Using the listing above, there is a difference between the two dimensions. .125 would need to run between .120/.130 with .125 being the target. .13 would need to be held between .120/.140 with .130 being the target.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfman25

It should not be arbitrary. It should be specific to the needs of your product and the capabilities of the process your using.

We have more trouble with the arbitrary "box" tolerances because in our process, we can hold some features better than others.

marcusja2002

Involved In Discussions
Michael

that bit I understand. I'm trying to figure out if there is a supperiour method out there I could present that will remove the shortcomings I indicated while not needing to move to GD&T.

Michael_M

Michael

that bit I understand. I'm trying to figure out if there is a supperiour method out there I could present that will remove the shortcomings I indicated while not needing to move to GD&T.
I think GD&T will be the best option, when it makes sense to use it. Depending on the part requirements, you can still use the basic design practices with little or no GD&T.

That's funny right there.

Which is my point. To expect our process to hold +/- 1 degree is a pipe dream.
We are a machine shop and holding +/-.5 (1/2) degree is standard across most drawings for us. Our angles are machine controlled so it is not difficult for us to hold.

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
GD&T is almost always indicated if you're making parts that need to assemble with other parts (especially when things are fastened together) and you don't want to reject functional parts.

I totally agree with the OP - title block tolerances that are based on number of decimal places affects accuracy. It also often conflicts with a CAD principal of always modeling features to the exact nominal size. There must be better systems out there, right?

At my prior company I implemented an alternative - the tolerance was expressed by the color of the dimension text. In my case, we used red for +/-.001, blue for +/-.005 and green for +/-.015. The only downside was that any printouts or copies must be in color.

Has anyone seen any other alternatives?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod Best practice to ensure inputting of data in production Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Bill of Materials for a complex product - Industry best practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
bio_subbu NBOG Publishes revised best practice guidance documents (Nov 2014) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Audit Protocol Manual which describes best practice Auditing Standards General Auditing Discussions 1
D Number of Internal Auditors Best Practice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
A Industry best practice about Post-Market Surveillance and Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
K Is this Best Practice Auditing? General Auditing Discussions 3
I Best Practice in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Medical Device Manufacturing Process Monitoring Best Practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I RoHS vs Non-RoHS - Best Practice for preventing Cross-Contamination? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
E SPC Corrective Actions - Best Practice with Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
V What is best practice to track Quality Teams Effectiveness & Efficiency. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V The best practice to maintain & link Design and Process FMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 8
A Instructions for Use - Best Practice to meet all International Regulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Corrective Action Numbering and Indexing Best Practice Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
B SSOW - Safe Systems of Work - Good examples for best practice needed Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
A Best Practice for Documenting Design Reviews 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
J Best Practice - Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
bio_subbu NBOG?s Best Practice guidance documents to implement the directive 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Best practice on documents turning into records, test and validation plan ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Innovations and Best Practice in Software Testing Software Quality Assurance 5
A Best Practice in Printing Industry - New project to improve the printing process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
C What is the best practice to label small tools (small pins) which cannot be scribed? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C User Acceptance Testing best practice - conducted on production server or test server Software Quality Assurance 0
Q Seeking Best Practice of Parts Segregation Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Q Best off presentation of process flows Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 16
Q Best country to import medical devices into Europe Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
M Best accreditation body for AS9100D Lead facility auditor? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P DFMEA - Machinery Design Best Practices FMEA and Control Plans 0
G Best way to calc uncert for measuring microscope without duplicating repeatability? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
William55401 Distributed By Product - Best Practices for Configuration Management and Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
P Best european location to set up for a virtual medical device manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
optomist1 Best Optical Comparators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Best profilometer for the money General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S What is the best method to bond urethane foam to urethane foam? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
qualprod Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
I Non-Conformance vs OFI -- your best descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 61
A What are Practical data center best practices IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5