Best practice to ensure inputting of data in production

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hello everyone.

I´m in the phase of implementing a process, where data will be necessary to be inputted in computers by operators.
The Issue here is how reliable will be the data? how can I be sure is done in the right manner, right quantity, at the right time?.
The data to be inputted is: time spent in machines in manufacturing of several activities, compliments of work orders, % progress of jobs, # defects, name of operators,
time/hours they enter in production, time they left, time down of machines, time spent in maintenance, and so on.
The idea is to have a base of all this data, in order to make quotations for customers, and based on this, calculating the more precise profits.
Question, in your experience; is this approach reliable for the purpose?, because I doubt operators will input the right data.
or what have you done to ensure this? maybe with a "police" behind them, on their shoulders?
The pros on this approach, I guess is the the data inputted is "live" updated in real time, but the cons, I think is the reliability and the time spent by operators to fill out the data .
On the other hand I think in a scenario, where with some frequency ( during 1 month, and three times a year ) to capture this data, have this data analized and have
information as a base for quotations.
Pros, less time spent by operators at registering data, thus more productivity, cons, no data in real time, no too much data to be based on.
At inputting data, we all know that at minimum, will have to register some basic data, but in the first approach, the idea is to capture too much information as
to have more data to have more precise information to take decisions.
Please feed me back of your thoughts about this.

Thank you so much.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
What I have seen for this is production software that intakes bar code scans for each process step, first at its beginning and then at its end, then figures the time and renders calculations for production optimization value.

An alternative might be to have the production personnel manually input start and finish times for their process steps into an Excel form, but I would absolutely not ask them to do anything more than that so as to ensure consistency in the calculations.

Do you already have the software or Excel template? I saw a great many offers in a Google search, but could not be sure that what I saw was aafe for download or just a commercial offering. I would have preferred to see something from a university Industrial Engineering program, but did not see any yet.

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
What the data will be used for ? That's the most important question. Why you will rely on it ? Depends on those factors there are several approaches to improve data input by operators.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
When I did this in a manufacturing group, I built the system 3 times.

First time, what I thought would work...then had one single person I trusted use it and comment.
Second time was based on that input (with some MASSIVE changes based on ease of use).
Third time was after explaining how this capturing of data would directly affect profitability...and thus directly affect the chance of larger raises next year. This final build was based on feedback from the whole group...how to make it easier, faster, less intrusive.

Most start and stop times turned into a single button click.
At least 5 additional computers were added for ease of access.
After using it for a month, only one person struggled to keep the data up to date...and we had a good chat about it one on one.
That system is still in use...

Every piece of data you can automate capture of will be immensely helpful.

silentmonkey

Starting to get Involved
One of the biggest peeves of data analysis is dirty data i.e. data that isn't uniform. Having 1 or 2 dedicated people collecting this data could help keep the data uniform provided they are well-trained; a work instruction or process document dedicated to data collection would also help. Otherwise, you could use software such as Excel to restrict the type of data input into the system.

It would help the operators if the collection of data was incorporated into the Production process flow. Make it a natural part of the process. As [Jen Kirley] mentioned, using bar code scanners at the start and end of each process step can help capture the data as part of the workflow without operators having to stop work and input data into a computer system manually. This applies when dealing with defects and rework if items are scanned in and out of quarantine or your rework area at each stage. Similarly, giving operators an ID tag for them to scan in and out of the Production area, before and after using machinery will give you all the necessary data without having your operators sit in front of the computer entering the data.

You would make sure each scan is time-stamped so you can analyse the data later.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
"Every piece of data you can automate capture of will be immensely helpful." Ninja is spot on, whether data input or the actual manufacturing process, where ever possible minimize human input, or touch labor as some call it....i.e. use a DC nut driver for all fasteners...automatically captures torque and angle data....same can be said for AOI...

Techster

Starting to get Involved
We are a machine shop who are using bar code scanners in our production to have the amount of time spent for a specific activity on the machine run time, idle time, different kind of alarms, tool change, measuring time. It is all collected by Cimco and put in to a calculation too see if we earn money, but also too see if the we are improving.
It has taken us minimum one man in one year to make the system work plus the money paid to Cimco to make adjustments.
But now it is very beneficial for us to see the things we do either doesn't work or improve the total economy on the product.

Prior to this system we only knew the cycle time and the amount of parts we needed to manufacture.

Maybe you don't need the data available too other systems right now, but it could improve a lot of other system to have this data live and avalaible.
As an example your planning could come a lot more reliable.

qualprod

We are a machine shop who are using bar code scanners in our production to have the amount of time spent for a specific activity on the machine run time, idle time, different kind of alarms, tool change, measuring time. It is all collected by Cimco and put in to a calculation too see if we earn money, but also too see if the we are improving.
It has taken us minimum one man in one year to make the system work plus the money paid to Cimco to make adjustments.
But now it is very beneficial for us to see the things we do either doesn't work or improve the total economy on the product.

Prior to this system we only knew the cycle time and the amount of parts we needed to manufacture.

Maybe you don't need the data available too other systems right now, but it could improve a lot of other system to have this data live and avalaible.
As an example your planning could come a lot more reliable.
Thanks techster, and others who shared Comments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Bill of Materials for a complex product - Industry best practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
bio_subbu NBOG Publishes revised best practice guidance documents (Nov 2014) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Audit Protocol Manual which describes best practice Auditing Standards General Auditing Discussions 1
D Number of Internal Auditors Best Practice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
A Industry best practice about Post-Market Surveillance and Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
K Is this Best Practice Auditing? General Auditing Discussions 3
I Best Practice in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Medical Device Manufacturing Process Monitoring Best Practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I RoHS vs Non-RoHS - Best Practice for preventing Cross-Contamination? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
E SPC Corrective Actions - Best Practice with Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
V What is best practice to track Quality Teams Effectiveness & Efficiency. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V The best practice to maintain & link Design and Process FMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 8
A Instructions for Use - Best Practice to meet all International Regulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Corrective Action Numbering and Indexing Best Practice Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
B SSOW - Safe Systems of Work - Good examples for best practice needed Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
A Best Practice for Documenting Design Reviews 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
jasonb067 Best Practice - Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
bio_subbu NBOG?s Best Practice guidance documents to implement the directive 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Best practice on documents turning into records, test and validation plan ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Innovations and Best Practice in Software Testing Software Quality Assurance 5
A Best Practice in Printing Industry - New project to improve the printing process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
C What is the best practice to label small tools (small pins) which cannot be scribed? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C User Acceptance Testing best practice - conducted on production server or test server Software Quality Assurance 0
Q Seeking Best Practice of Parts Segregation Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Best european location to set up for a virtual medical device manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
optomist1 Best Optical Comparators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Best profilometer for the money General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S What is the best method to bond urethane foam to urethane foam? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
qualprod Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
I Non-Conformance vs OFI -- your best descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 61
A What are Practical data center best practices IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D What is the best software used for the pharma compliance management? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M Informational MHRA launches consultation on how to best engage patients and the public Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
optomist1 Mobility Field Manufacturing Best - Worst Practices Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
N Best practices for capturing audit objective evidence in a practical manner? Internal Auditing 3
S How to Learn all aspects of ISO 27001:2013 | The best way to grab the knowledge on 27001:2013 (Step by Step) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7