Best value for choice/money - Smart phone vs tablet

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
I am looking for a gadget which allows me do phone+mail+doc editing capabilities on the go. and 'need & amount' is more on doc-edit/view > mail > phone :)

so far, there used to be certain demarcation between one gadget ''could do vis a category''; even if there was a overlap there was certain price differentiation.

today,
given the OVERLAP of "price and features" between both the gadgets smart-phone vs tablet + given the competition (explosion of alternatives - challengers ...)
http://www.flipkart.com/tablets/com...XGEGFWDEZRT,TABDK7UZJU6ABFBH,TABDDCY62P4NQZBB
http://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/com...7U9FFPUAGPZ,MOBDMMPYZAGBAGG5,MOBDKMJEWQPUEWFW
can you give your thought on the selection of right choice&investment.

looking for choice between samsung & apple <--> tablet vs smart phone(phablet!!!)
both categories can-do all the above aspects....
all the gadgets are new to me(so i guess its all about getting used to....)

what has been your choice and experience with above!!! any advice!!!:thanx:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: best value for choice/money...smart phone vs tablet

While you can get cellular (4G, e.g.) data service on an IPad, you can't use the Ipad to make telephone calls. The products (smart phones and tablets) are really in two different categories.

T

tomvehoski

There are a few massive phones out there now, like the Galaxy Note (5.3" display) that are more like tablets but still have full phone capability. IMO, neither is an acceptable device for document creation/editing. For that you need a real keyboard. Sure you can get a bluetooth keyboard for your iPad/tablet, but now you basically have something the size of a small laptop but still missing features - usb ports, decent storage, etc.

I believe you need two devices to effectively do what you want. I would go with a good Android phone in a 4"+ screen size along with a 13" ultralight laptop.

As to what I own/use:
- Galaxy Nexus smartphone (personal)
- iPhone 4S (work - upgrading to 5 this week)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" (only use on airplanes)
- Ancient 15" IBM laptop (work)
- 14" Toshiba laptop (primary personal PC)
- 10" Netbook (unused - not even sure where it is right now)

The Galaxy Nexus is always with me and used for calls, text, social media, web browsing, streaming radio, e-mail if needed, and the rare game. iPhone only gets carried during work hours as I want to keep my work/personal stuff separate. I really have not found much use for the tablet outside of travel. If I want to sit on the couch and surf while I watch TV, I find the laptop much easier to use. Any heavy editing/creation gets done on a real computer.

C

Curtis317

okay maybe a dumb question but does streaming use up the data gigabytes from my phone plan? I have Verizon with a 4 Gig data package but do not want to go over and it seems that using my iphone radio app would use it up quickly.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority

okay maybe a dumb question but does streaming use up the data gigabytes from my phone plan? I have Verizon with a 4 Gig data package but do not want to go over and it seems that using my iphone radio app would use it up quickly.

"Streaming" is pretty much the only way to use up data on any provider's plan. I have used apps like Pandora and iHeartRadio for a while now on my phone, and I can tell you with certainty that it uses up bandwidth like crazy due to the fact that it continuously streams data in the form of music, unlike a webpage where once it is done loading it stops streaming until another action is taken by its user.

Brian :rolleyes:

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Yes, streaming uses up your data.

Just thought about the op's questions. There is something by Asus I think which is a tablet and a phone. the smart phone clips into the back of a tablet so it's both at the same time. Stick the tablet in your briefcase and use the phone normally. Get it out when you need to edit documents.

Also, I think there is an app for iPad which allows it to effectively be a phone. Think it uses the WiFi or data. Can't remember much more but I reckon you could find out more by searching for it.

v9991

given that next major launch of apple, samsung is atleast 6-8 months away....

I am settling for a phone(something like samsung notepad)....
but, I am once again in the trap of going for product with more features for the lesser money!!! this could mean settling for quality which is less by a fraction!!!:eek:
+
+....there is a difference in pricing between my country and the price its sold in US!!! ('lesser price' actually moves little more up ~10% = only down side is that i need to depend upon return journey schedule of someone who can buy-carry it for me from US!!!)
+ given the complex nature of gadgets , service center is another factor iam considering.

V

vpiya

[FONT=&quot]The specifications mentioned by you and the requirements you are seeking for, would be satisfied by the Samsung?s Galaxy Tab 3 T311. This tablet is apt and is quite desirable with itsfeatures, performance, quality and value for money. This voice calling tablet possesses a slim and light design, with incredible performance and does not compromise on anything. Features like calling, reading emails, editing documents and more are a part of this gadget and it functions quite smoothly and in a lag free interface. SO this would be a perfect choice! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Top Bottom