Beyond CQE: Any suggestions to improve my knowledge further?

Casana

Blueberry Nut
I just recently got my CQE in December, and as I'm trying to use this newly acquired knowledge I'm realizing what a newbie I am in the field of Stats... I don't need to learn more about SPC, but about data analysis... ie how to develop a sampling plan, what to do with data collected, etc.

Any suggestions out there on how I can improve my knowledge?? Guidance from more experienced heads would be appreciated...
I'm willing to read books, study websites, attend courses, etc.

Thanks!

R

Rick Goodson

There are a number of good texts that will be of help. My favorite is "Quality Control" by Dale Besterfield. Mine is a older version (circa 1979) but I am sure you can find a current copy at Amazon or Barnes & Noble or at ASQ. (ISBN 0-13-025668-4) Besterfield's book covers subjects such as how to setup a sampling plan. About $79.00 a copy.

If you need something a little more advanced, look for "Process Quality Control, Troubleshooting and Interpretion of Data" by Ellis Ott, Ed Schilling, and Dean Neubauer. (ISBN 0-07-1350101-1) The book will cover how to analyze data given a problem situation. It assumes you have a basic understanding of statistics. About $75.00 a copy.

A final note, you can not go wrong with Juran's Quality Handbook although you might go broke paying for it at $135.00 a copy.

Casana

Blueberry Nut
Funny you mention Juran... what prompted my email was TRYING to use Juran's book (I borrowed it from a colleague). To be honest I've never found it useful because its got so much information crunched in that it feels like its barely written in English..
I'll check out the other books, though. Thanks!

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
For me, Juran's Quality Handbook is like the Machinest's Handbook. Just a reference tool.

To gain a better understanding of topics listed in the book, the reader must go to other sources for the most part. It isn't the type of book one would read cover to cover.

Regards,

Kevin

R

Rick Goodson

Kevin,

Good point! I prefer the other books but Juran is a good reference. Any suggestions for Casana on your favorites?

Regards,

Rick

L

Laura M

I find myself going to "Guide to Quality Control" by Kaoru Ishikawa. Don't know if its still available. I got my copy in '87.

Kind of a nice compact Juran - not to in depth though - just refreshers.

Otherwise the above references are good.

Laura

S

Sam

IMO, I would suggest a two semester course in statistics. After that all this other stuff (process control),coupled with some shop experience,comes rather simple.

A

Al Dyer

How about?

Quality Planning and Analysis, authored by Frank Gryna.

I don't have the new version but the other versions were very helpful.

ASD...

R

Rick Goodson

Kevin,

You get my vote for school board czar. There is far to little emphasis placed on the use of statistics today. That may be due to the extremely poor instructional methods used. Statistics is extremely dry if not placed in a context that applies to the learners frame of reference.

Regards,

Rick

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Hello Rick,

Back in High School, I remember them offering a class on Statistics as a math elective. When I read the paragraph used to sum up the course objectives, I remember thinking to myself that this couldn't be a serious course! I also recall thinking, "Boring!" I never signed up. I think you are right in your assessment. They need to make it real for the student and the teaching method must demonstrate how it is pratical.

While studying for the CQE, I reconsidered my position on Statistics. The more I researched, my interest grew. This lead me to search for a better guide to Statistics. The book I can't recall the title and author for had many examples about Gambling and rolling dice (were statistics has its origin), that many of us can relate with on a fun level. It helped me through the learning process.

These days, on my commute home, I listen to to the radio, sports talk mostly. Never a night where real statistics are driven to another level. Talk show hosts and the listeners do a nice job of oversimplifying sports figures. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at times.

Talk about sampling: how many times have you heard someone making a prediction based on last Sunday's Football results? Sample size: one.

Regards,

Kevin

p.s. Casana, congrats on your CQE by the way!

[This message has been edited by Kevin Mader (edited 28 February 2001).]

Top Bottom