Beyond CQE: Any suggestions to improve my knowledge further?

Casana

Blueberry Nut
I just recently got my CQE in December, and as I'm trying to use this newly acquired knowledge I'm realizing what a newbie I am in the field of Stats... I don't need to learn more about SPC, but about data analysis... ie how to develop a sampling plan, what to do with data collected, etc.

Any suggestions out there on how I can improve my knowledge?? Guidance from more experienced heads would be appreciated...
I'm willing to read books, study websites, attend courses, etc.

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Rick Goodson

There are a number of good texts that will be of help. My favorite is "Quality Control" by Dale Besterfield. Mine is a older version (circa 1979) but I am sure you can find a current copy at Amazon or Barnes & Noble or at ASQ. (ISBN 0-13-025668-4) Besterfield's book covers subjects such as how to setup a sampling plan. About $79.00 a copy.

If you need something a little more advanced, look for "Process Quality Control, Troubleshooting and Interpretion of Data" by Ellis Ott, Ed Schilling, and Dean Neubauer. (ISBN 0-07-1350101-1) The book will cover how to analyze data given a problem situation. It assumes you have a basic understanding of statistics. About $75.00 a copy.

A final note, you can not go wrong with Juran's Quality Handbook although you might go broke paying for it at $135.00 a copy.

Casana

Blueberry Nut
Funny you mention Juran... what prompted my email was TRYING to use Juran's book (I borrowed it from a colleague). To be honest I've never found it useful because its got so much information crunched in that it feels like its barely written in English..
I'll check out the other books, though. Thanks!

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
For me, Juran's Quality Handbook is like the Machinest's Handbook. Just a reference tool.

To gain a better understanding of topics listed in the book, the reader must go to other sources for the most part. It isn't the type of book one would read cover to cover.

Regards,

Kevin

R

Rick Goodson

Kevin,

Good point! I prefer the other books but Juran is a good reference. Any suggestions for Casana on your favorites?

Regards,

Rick

L

Laura M

I find myself going to "Guide to Quality Control" by Kaoru Ishikawa. Don't know if its still available. I got my copy in '87.

Kind of a nice compact Juran - not to in depth though - just refreshers.

Otherwise the above references are good.

Laura

IMO, I would suggest a two semester course in statistics. After that all this other stuff (process control),coupled with some shop experience,comes rather simple.

A

Al Dyer

How about?

Quality Planning and Analysis, authored by Frank Gryna.

I don't have the new version but the other versions were very helpful.

ASD...

R

Rick Goodson

Kevin,

You get my vote for school board czar. There is far to little emphasis placed on the use of statistics today. That may be due to the extremely poor instructional methods used. Statistics is extremely dry if not placed in a context that applies to the learners frame of reference.

Regards,

Rick

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Hello Rick,

Back in High School, I remember them offering a class on Statistics as a math elective. When I read the paragraph used to sum up the course objectives, I remember thinking to myself that this couldn't be a serious course! I also recall thinking, "Boring!" I never signed up. I think you are right in your assessment. They need to make it real for the student and the teaching method must demonstrate how it is pratical.

While studying for the CQE, I reconsidered my position on Statistics. The more I researched, my interest grew. This lead me to search for a better guide to Statistics. The book I can't recall the title and author for had many examples about Gambling and rolling dice (were statistics has its origin), that many of us can relate with on a fun level. It helped me through the learning process.

These days, on my commute home, I listen to to the radio, sports talk mostly. Never a night where real statistics are driven to another level. Talk show hosts and the listeners do a nice job of oversimplifying sports figures. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at times.

Talk about sampling: how many times have you heard someone making a prediction based on last Sunday's Football results? Sample size: one.

Regards,

Kevin

p.s. Casana, congrats on your CQE by the way!

[This message has been edited by Kevin Mader (edited 28 February 2001).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Go Beyond ISO 9001 WITH IATF 16949 (January 28) [Paid] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q To raise a NC beyond the audit scope? Two signatures were missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Calibration certificates avowing accuracy beyond the uncertainty limits? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
Hershal Star Trek Beyond (ST 13) - 2016 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
N "Beyond Economic Repair" - Scrapping Customer Material - DCMA Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
somashekar Authorization to use shelf life sensitive materials beyond its valid shelf life... Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
2 DOE to minimize Noise Contributions that enlarge the Variation beyond Part-Part Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
C Controlling Documents: Beyond the standard, how do we truly define what to control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Calibration and Customer 'Requirements' - Something Stupid Beyond Belief General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 40
U Beyond words and wonderment Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J Taking Lean beyond 5S - Commercial Printer Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Jen Kirley Beyond Compliance: Value-added auditing for system performance The Reading Room 9
R Beyond Lean manufacturing - Operation management / Performance improvement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
BradM 29th Olympics in China - Beyond the opening Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 82
R Getting started (beyond the standard) and getting up to speed with AS9100? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
K Risk Management Portal - Beyond ISO 14971 - Incorporate $$ into the Risk Assessment ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Douglas E. Purdy Beyond PDCA by Praveen Gupta Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 126
A Do you register NC's beyond Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 13
J ISO 9001 - Product ID & Traceability - Beyond our door? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T ASQ CQE vs CMQ/OE Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
E CQE or SSGB for a new career Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
andika_untoro ASQ CQE Exam Group for Dec 2019 / Jan 2020 Preparation ASQ - American Society for Quality 12
S AQL Inspector's Rule - bring into CQE Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
M Differences in CQE, CSTE, CSQA, CQA Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
W SSGB vs. CQE certification? Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
R CQE vs CQA vs CSSGB vs CWI Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
B I have CSBB Cert - CQE vs. CMQ/OE next? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
O CQE Handbook - Missing Section VII - Risk Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
L CQE Quiz - Something I made up to make aspiring CQE's head hurt Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
J Sampling Plan Questions from the CQE Practice Exam Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J CQE References allowed in the Exam Room Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
P CQE Work Experience - New to Industry Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
A CQE exam primer Control Limit question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Do CQE exam questions repeat in next exams? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q Question about 2012 ASQ CQE certification primer vs 2006 primer Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
D Have my CQE - Is it worth "backfilling" other Certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
R CQE Exam Problem Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
H CQE Exam Review Volunteers Needed. Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
H ASQ CQE Exam Review Workshop - Seeking Volunteers! September 2013 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
A ASQ CQE statistics training in Australia? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
D Examples of CQE test questions for December 2012 exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
K CQE/SSGB Qualifications and Requirements Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
S CQE sample exam - Question 23 about a regression model Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Preparing for CQE Exam - Calculators and Statistical Calculations Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
A CQE Exam Machine Capability Question - HELP Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
A How relevant are ASQC CQT, CQE, CMI Completion Diplomas in the Current Work Place Career and Occupation Discussions 9
R CQE and CQA Training Books/Materials and related Quality Jobs Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
M CQE Preparation - Classes offered by ASQ or QC Group Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
Q Which calculators can I take to CQE exam ? Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
I I failed my CQE Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 21