Bias, Stability and Repeatability - What is an acceptable percent % ?

L

Larry Wade

Hi I am the quality engineer and calibration supervisor of our QS9000 registerd company. Up until now we had performed only Gage R&R and calibrations on our gages and equipment. Our auditor has since asked us to do some form of repeatability test before calibration. I have looked in the MSA book for QS9000 at the examples of Bias, Stability and Repeatability. I believe what he is looking for is actually more along the lines of Stability or Bias. My problem is what is concidered an acceptable percentage. I can not find anything in the MSA manual.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

TheOtherMe

You have to relate your results to a percent of tolerance, as I understand it. That with gage R&R. The MSA manual talks about looking at it all as a 'system'. If I understand it correctly, they want to make sure you are considering all the system elements. You may get away with not doing linearity or bias calculations if you can argue the precision of the measurement device far exceeds the tolerance (extreme case --> using a cmm to measure a 0.9 +/-0.1 meter rod). But then, you always know the linearity and bias and stability and uncertainty of the cmm simply because the manufacturer provides them for their products due to their very nature.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Company-wide MSA - Measurement Equipment Bias, Linearity & Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Are Bias, Stability, and Linearity studies required by TS 16949 7.6.1? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Bias Linearity Stability MSA Excel File with Formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S MSA 4th Edition formats in Excel wanted - GR&R, Bias, Stability and Linearity Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Linearity, BIAS & Stability - How many studies do I need to do for a device? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Stability, Bias and Linearity samples - Measurement Systems Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S If I do Linearity and Bias Studies, are Stability Studies Required? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D MSA - Can Regular Calibration Replace Bias, Linearity and Stability Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Stability, Linearity vs. Bias - Do we need to compute them all? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A Do we need to perform Stability, Linearity & Bias study for Attribute data? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M Laser Mike Insturment - MSA - Which (Bias, Linearity, Stability, R&R) are applicable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Gauge R & R and stability, linearity and bias Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Courier MSA Tools - Excel templates for doing the Linearity & Bias, & Stability Studies Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 13
B Scales - Gage R&R, Bias, Linearity, Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S 4.11.4 MSA is R&R Enough? Linearity, bias, stability necessary as well? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
F Meeting the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R Bias, Linearity, Stability requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
F Element 4.11.4 - Meeting the MSA requirements of bias, linearity, stability QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D Gage R&R - Acceptance Criteria for Linearity, Bias, and Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M MSA Manual 3rd Edition - R&R, Linearity, Bias, Stability - Small Company Many Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
L Measurement System Analysis (MSA) - Bias, Linearity and Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 23
A Acceptance p-value for linearity and bias analysis in minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
G Can Measurement Machine Bias be part of Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Hypothesis test for Bias, not for GRR. WHY ?? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Wes Bucey A rant against gender bias wherever it appears Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M How calculate P value for Linearity and Bias using Excel Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
J Bias formula in MSA 4th Edition vs 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
0 The Uncertainty of an Estimate of the Bias ISO 5725-1 - Help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
G Bias & Linearity Study and the Uncertainty of Standards Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
E Bias and Type 1 Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E Gage Linearity and Bias Questions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
I Interpretation of MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Linearity and Bias Study Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Conducting a Bias Study for a CMM with no Traceable Master or Reference value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A What is Final Bias? Bias - [σb * (tv, 1-α/2)] ≤ 0 ≤ Bias + [σb * (tv, 1-α/2)] Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
T Bias & Linearity Study - How to calculate the P value for the Average Bias Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
N Doubt on Bias study for EOLT (End Of Line Tester) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Customer Demands (MSA=Bias + GRR/2). Can somebody explain what it means? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
X Bias Analysis issues in MSA Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
kedarg6500 Bias Study-Finding degree of freedom-P 92 of MSA manual 4th Ed. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
C Linearity and Bias Study Compliance Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
L Gage Linearity and Bias Study Analysis - Minitab help needed Using Minitab Software 4
T Gage Bias and Linearity - How to interpret the Minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S Degrees of Freedom - How to calculate degrees of freedom and bias General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Bias Study - Use of 't' statistic - Page 88 item 8 of v4 of the MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
Q What qualifies as Control of Bias GLPs 21 CFR 58.120? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Bias Calculation in Excel Worksheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
E Bias Study - How can I calculate significant 't' value? Page 87-90 of MSA manual Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
L Recommend a 3rd Party Certifier for Master Value in Linearity & Bias Study General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
R EMP (Evaluating the Measurement Process) Studies for Bias Effect Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Miner Intro to Measurement System Analysis (MSA) of Continuous Data – Part 2: Bias Imported Legacy Blogs 4
L Gang Fixturing - Bias vs. Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3