Bias Study-Finding degree of freedom-P 92 of MSA manual 4th Ed.

kedarg6500

Quite Involved in Discussions
Cove Members

Please help out to understand calculating degree of freedom for Bias Study -Page 92 of MSA manual 4th Edition.

I tried up to t-statistic

But I could not calculate
1. degrees of freedom
2. Significant t value (2-tailed)
3. 95% Confidence Interval of the Bias lower limit
4. 95% Confidence Interval of the Bias upper limit

Calculation Sheet & page 92 attached
Please help

Kedar

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Barbara B

Kedar,

the last four formulas in the table were wrong. Please see attached Excel sheet with corrections (and fortunately these values do match the MSA 4th manual).

Regards,

Barbara

Attachments

V

V5652

hello Barbara,
I have seen the excel sheet attached by you.
but i couldn't get that how can I calculate df=14 ? because i have seen it 10.8 as per 3rd manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Barbara B

V5652,

with MSA3rd the test for a significant bias was based on the sample range as a measure for spread. With the range the df's for the t-test-statistic has to be taken from the d2*-table (MSA3rd, Appendix C). In a bias study with g=1 sample (=1 subgroup) and m=15 subgroup sample size Appendix C provides:
df=10.8 (and d2*=3.55333)

In MSA4th the standard deviation instead of the range is used in the t-test for bias. In this (more common) t-test-statistic the df are simply derived as
df = sample size - 1
So for a sample size of n=15, df = 15-1 = 14. No d2* table necessary anymore, and the t-value could easily be calculated :bigwave:

Regards,

Barbara

kedarg6500

Quite Involved in Discussions
Barbara

Thank you for guiding us correctly. Formula for df is "sample size (n) - 1"

If sample size of n=20, we shall take df = 20-1 = 19. Is it right?

Where they have explained "Formula for df" in MSA V4?

Last edited:
B

Barbara B

kedarg6500,

yes, you've got that right. For a Wikipedia reference-linkT-test (independent one sample t-test) based on standard deviation as a measure of variation the df's are always given by
df = n-1
with n number of measurements taken (n=15 -> df = 15-1 = 14, n=20 -> df = 20-1 = 19, and so on).

The df's are notated as v (greek letter, spelled nu, see Wikipedia reference-linkNu_(letter)) in MSA4th which is a common notation for the degrees of freedom in statistics. You can find the formula for v on p.89 below the formula for the confidence interval for bias: v = n - 1.

Regards,

Barbara

E

edwinzosef

Dear Barbara,
Actually I was in lot of confusions untill I refer ur post here,
Thanks a lot for sharing about 4th Ed & found out the correction on Bian xlsx sheet.

Can you advice me, if I'm going to do MSA for caliper ,Micrometers, I need to apply GRR,Bias,Linearity & Stablility?
Please guide me.
thnaks again.

Edwin.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Bias & Linearity Study and the Uncertainty of Standards Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
E Bias and Type 1 Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
I Interpretation of MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Linearity and Bias Study Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Conducting a Bias Study for a CMM with no Traceable Master or Reference value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T Bias & Linearity Study - How to calculate the P value for the Average Bias Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
N Doubt on Bias study for EOLT (End Of Line Tester) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Linearity and Bias Study Compliance Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
L Gage Linearity and Bias Study Analysis - Minitab help needed Using Minitab Software 4
T Bias Study - Use of 't' statistic - Page 88 item 8 of v4 of the MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
E Bias Study - How can I calculate significant 't' value? Page 87-90 of MSA manual Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
L Recommend a 3rd Party Certifier for Master Value in Linearity & Bias Study General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B In a Linearity Study covering the operating range is it necessary to do Bias Study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
C Measurement BIAS Study - No Measurement Variation Unacceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Selecting a Sample and Determining the Reference Value for a Bias Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Linearity and Bias Study - Bias Study fails - Seeking advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Do we need to perform Stability, Linearity & Bias study for Attribute data? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Is minitab 'AIAG compliant' to perform GR&R, linearity and bias study? Using Minitab Software 4
S Bias Study Confidence Intervals - Page 88 of the AIAG MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
M Bias - Upper and Lower control Limit - Bias Study page 88 of the MSA 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M MSA - Bias Study - Is there any easy method to follow and apply? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
optomist1 Data Bias - Surveys Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Acceptance p-value for linearity and bias analysis in minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
G Can Measurement Machine Bias be part of Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Hypothesis test for Bias, not for GRR. WHY ?? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Wes Bucey A rant against gender bias wherever it appears Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M How calculate P value for Linearity and Bias using Excel Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
J Bias formula in MSA 4th Edition vs 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E Company-wide MSA - Measurement Equipment Bias, Linearity & Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
0 The Uncertainty of an Estimate of the Bias ISO 5725-1 - Help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
M Are Bias, Stability, and Linearity studies required by TS 16949 7.6.1? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E Gage Linearity and Bias Questions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A What is Final Bias? Bias - [σb * (tv, 1-α/2)] ≤ 0 ≤ Bias + [σb * (tv, 1-α/2)] Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
A Bias Linearity Stability MSA Excel File with Formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Customer Demands (MSA=Bias + GRR/2). Can somebody explain what it means? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
X Bias Analysis issues in MSA Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T Gage Bias and Linearity - How to interpret the Minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S MSA 4th Edition formats in Excel wanted - GR&R, Bias, Stability and Linearity Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
S Degrees of Freedom - How to calculate degrees of freedom and bias General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q What qualifies as Control of Bias GLPs 21 CFR 58.120? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Bias Calculation in Excel Worksheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M Linearity, BIAS & Stability - How many studies do I need to do for a device? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R EMP (Evaluating the Measurement Process) Studies for Bias Effect Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Miner Intro to Measurement System Analysis (MSA) of Continuous Data – Part 2: Bias Imported Legacy Blogs 4
L Gang Fixturing - Bias vs. Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S How to calculate Bias - MSA Third Edition book on page 85 to 88 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Bias example-about Df=10.8 - Where to find the df table Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Stability, Bias and Linearity samples - Measurement Systems Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K CI (Confidence Interval) for bias Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M When to use Linearity and Bias - appropriate for paper tensile strength? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
RoxaneB How to Handle Emotional Bias during Upcoming Audit? Internal Auditing 12