SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Biggest bottleneck/hurdle in Implementation of Effective Design FMEA

What is the biggest "obstacle/hurdle" in a "making a FMEA/Risk Management a Success

• Knowledge & Training

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definition of clear objective & purpose of initiating FMEA/RM process

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Integration of FMEA/RM into process/system (Focus during the implementation/execution of FMEA/RM)

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Simplicity (of Procedures and tools)

• Others (pl. specify)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Effectiveness

• Total voters

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
What is the biggest hurdle in implementation of Effective FMEA?

For me, the biggest problem is with: "Defining a Definitive & Measurable Objective" for FMEA; (What am I trying to achieve by introducing FMEA into my design process)

It links up with the "rolling-out and initiating the implementation process", and also providing "indirectly measure the success/direction of the outcome."

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Biggest bottleneck/hurdle in implementation of Effective FMEA

What's the environment? Medical, Aerospace, Automotive?

Stijloor.

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Biggest bottleneck/hurdle in implementation of Effective FMEA

What's the environment? Medical, Aerospace, Automotive?

Stijloor.
I was interested to note the comments for an typical pharmaceutical industry;

But I assume that they are not going to be different for other sectors.(except for the fact that Pharma is just trying to catch the FMEA-bus, although its already used in micro/sterile processes)

Stijloor :- at the end of the statement of the poll, can you pl add the term "effectiveness".

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I voted for integration as the biggest stumbling block that I have seen is performing the FMEA too late in the process to do much good. It is done to "check the box" to say that it was done rather than to improve the design.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I also selected 'integration' as the largest constraint. If the use of the technique (and requiring it as a deliverable to enable movement to the next step) at the appropriate time is optional then too many people will simply not utilize the tool as it requires work, including learning a new technique. If its required management can then work to communicate the goal, measure success, improve knowledge and skill for the tool.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D What foreign language proficiency would give the biggest edge to medical device regulatory affairs professionals in the world today or in future? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
M The biggest gaps and problems in QMS or Quality in Automotive Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
P Bad communication in construction projects are probably the biggest generators Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
N Sampling Plan for Small Low Volume Shops - Biggest order was 200 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
Marc Apple Dethrones Microsoft As World's Biggest Tech Company After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Y The 3 Biggest Obstacles You Faced when you start to apply improvement projects Six Sigma 24
Le Chiffre The Biggest Obstacle of Personnel Performance Reviews? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
J Ranking Forbes Automobile industries. The World's Biggest Public Companies World News 14
J Just Gotta Brag... Top honors as a supplier to our biggest customer World News 8
Marc Shanghai GM sets the stage for a price war - The biggest car seller in China World News 0
C The 10 Biggest Quality Mistakes The Reading Room 90
Marc Biggest Wi-Fi Cloud Is in Rural Oregon After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
J Job Offer: Six Sigma Black Belt vs. SQE for one of Biggest Auto supplier Career and Occupation Discussions 15
C Learning Curves - Biggest Process "VARIABLE" is mobile workforce ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
I Bottleneck on a Production Line Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11