Biggest issues when producing MDR compliant Technical Files / DD

Hi all,

I am working with a few friends to try to understand the EU medical device approval process better. We are working on an initiative out of Germany to try to make writing technical documentation and going through conformity assessments less burdensome for smaller companies. Obviously clinical evaluations have been a huge paint point with the new MDR regulations but I wasn't sure if that was truly the largest hurdle across most companies.

I was curious what others considered to be the largest hurdles for reaching CE mark specifically in regards to producing technical documentation.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Raisin picker

Involved In Discussions
The biggest hurdle, in my experience, is, that many manufacturers do not read and understand the MDR and all related documents (e.g. MDCG). Small companies often don't have the money to afford an experienced expert in QM/RA. Sending the most tedious and thorough engineer to the responsible person training (1 day) does not help the company very far.

- "My documentation was fine before. I'll just search and replace MDD with MDR and everything will work out."
- "My device warrants some exeption, because I don't want to do xxx."
- Getting your head around CEP, CER, PMS plan, PMCF Plan, SSCP, PSUR, PMS report, PMCF report. There is some overlap, but everything has to be somewhere.
- Getting your documentation sorted out to begin with. "I'll just send everything I have to the NB, they can search for whatever they need".
- Writing justifications. Something does not apply, justify it (mostly, one or two sentences suffice). MDR asks for justifications in many places.
- Starting in time. MDR is published in 2017, drafts have been around some time before. You could have prepared. But many manufacturers wanted to wait it out ...

But you also nailed it, the biggest issue is clinic. I've seen manufacturers that wanted to apply for MDR with a three year old CER that did not fulfil MEDDEV 2.7/1, had no PMCF data at all, only scanned (no OCR), 20 pages. Or just the CER from the former OEM manufacturer, still with their name on it. I've even seen a CER that claimed to be according to MEDDEV 2.7/1 (rev1 [!]), signed in 2021!
"There's no own clinical data, because I refused to do some (cheap and easy) PMCF. There's no literature data. That my device is on the market for ages is sufficient proof of GSPR fulfillment. Just give me my certificate."

Raisin - Couldn't agree more. I feel for those engineers at smaller companies who essentially have to sort through the entirety of the MDR with little to no experience reading through regulations. The MDCG have been an immense help as each one has been released though.

It is mind boggling to me that someone would simply change MDD to MDR and changing ERs to GSPRs and assume everything is good. I am still a bit concerned about creating new PSUR's and editing our existing PMCF and PMS documentation but I think it'll take just one time through creating the documents to become more comfortable. From what I heard, most initial conformity assessments won't typically require a PSUR off the bat anyways.

I am our companies lead for clinical evaluation documentation so I'm a bit biased in what I am most concerned with so take it with a grain of salt haha.

Philip B - Thank you for this guide, this is very helpful. Do you personally use any other resources when you're writing or doing quality control on your documentation?

Philip B

Quite Involved in Discussions
Raisin - Couldn't agree more. I feel for those engineers at smaller companies who essentially have to sort through the entirety of the MDR with little to no experience reading through regulations. The MDCG have been an immense help as each one has been released though.

It is mind boggling to me that someone would simply change MDD to MDR and changing ERs to GSPRs and assume everything is good. I am still a bit concerned about creating new PSUR's and editing our existing PMCF and PMS documentation but I think it'll take just one time through creating the documents to become more comfortable. From what I heard, most initial conformity assessments won't typically require a PSUR off the bat anyways.

I am our companies lead for clinical evaluation documentation so I'm a bit biased in what I am most concerned with so take it with a grain of salt haha.

Philip B - Thank you for this guide, this is very helpful. Do you personally use any other resources when you're writing or doing quality control on your documentation?
in addition to the BSi document I also referred to the MDR itself, 13485 and previous versions of technical files.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D What foreign language proficiency would give the biggest edge to medical device regulatory affairs professionals in the world today or in future? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
M The biggest gaps and problems in QMS or Quality in Automotive Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
P Bad communication in construction projects are probably the biggest generators Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Biggest bottleneck/hurdle in Implementation of Effective Design FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
N Sampling Plan for Small Low Volume Shops - Biggest order was 200 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
Marc Apple Dethrones Microsoft As World's Biggest Tech Company After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Y The 3 Biggest Obstacles You Faced when you start to apply improvement projects Six Sigma 24
Le Chiffre The Biggest Obstacle of Personnel Performance Reviews? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
J Ranking Forbes Automobile industries. The World's Biggest Public Companies World News 14
J Just Gotta Brag... Top honors as a supplier to our biggest customer World News 8
Marc Shanghai GM sets the stage for a price war - The biggest car seller in China World News 0
C The 10 Biggest Quality Mistakes The Reading Room 90
Marc Biggest Wi-Fi Cloud Is in Rural Oregon After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
J Job Offer: Six Sigma Black Belt vs. SQE for one of Biggest Auto supplier Career and Occupation Discussions 15
C Learning Curves - Biggest Process "VARIABLE" is mobile workforce ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
C Issues with UDI-DI and LAA/LUA registration in Eudamed EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Powder coating issues Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
S ASTM F86 x Biocompatibility Issues Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Issues with leakage current testing for a CLASS II device since no PE and FE is present IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Sidney Vianna Informational ESG - Environment, Social & Governance issues gaining ground in the Business World Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 22
A OQ and reporting issues Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A OEM On-Site Calibration issues during Covid19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
G Issues/Roadblocks with APQP implementation APQP and PPAP 8
G Resistance to solve Issues Customer Complaints 8
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
F Issues in Uncertainty Estimation Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
R Robotic weld cell - maintenance issues - expertise needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
K Implant Card - Full Manufacturer's Address - Space issues EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Labeling - 2017/745 - EUMDR Requirements and Trademark Issues EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Connecting AS9100 D Clause 4.2 to 9.3.2 b - Interested parties and relevant issues AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
R Identifying internal issues.. at what level? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Ronen E FDA News FDA issues guidance on bench testing in premarket submissions Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
dhuot1990 Issues with REES Environmental Monitoring System Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Why does the standard clause use the term Issues in place of Context - ISO 27001 4.1 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
Ashok sunder How to determine the internal and external issues in ISO 45001 standard? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
CCaantley Issues with Faro Quantum S and LLP General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M FDA News The FDA Issues Final Rule on Medical Device Classification Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Risk Approach doesn't address External Issues (Auditor's Comment) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
qualprod Closing Out Negative Issues in Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
O Private label issues For EU - Customer does not have CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
O Examples of the external and internal issues and their risks and opportunities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Y ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.1 Note 1 - External and Internal issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
bio_subbu Indian government issues guidance on Grouping Medical Devices in a Single Submission Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
qualprod External/internal issues removed as well? ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
bio_subbu India’s CDSCO Issues FAQ's on Medical Device Rule, 2017 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Capturing Issues of Devices Past Lifetime Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A ISO 9001 Help - New Quality Manager - Upper Management Support Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
A EMC Emission Issues - Communication between PC and Monitor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Looking for an example of Issues Log ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A One site of multi-site company closing - Quality transfer issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7