Bill of Materials required according to MDD93/42/EC Annex II Section 3.2

Jeffers

Starting to get Involved
Hello Elsmar,

As always, thank you in advance for the assistance and time spent. Back at it again - this time I have another NC identified by my reviewer in the process of reviewing my technical documentation. Specifically, the reviewer identified the following NC:
Client has not submitted a Bill of material.
The requirement is listed as MDD93/42/EC Annex II section 3.2.

It has always been my understanding that a BOM is most applicable to devices that utilize computer or electronic circuitry, but not necessarily a medical device like the device we manufacture. The device I manufacture is akin to dental floss. We perform a chemical process on a raw material. Following the chemical treatment, the product is ready for use and prepared for sale. We are not necessarily combining multiple items into a single finished product.
I have gone through the MDD, and do not see any requirement to provide a BOM. Am I missing something significant? Thank you experts!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Re: Bill of Materials, required according to MDD93/42/EC Annex II Section 3.2???

A BOM is not required by the MDD. The MDD does not require any "type"of document, in fact.

On the other hand, a BOM is a type of document that can be created for any device (for simples devices it would be very brief).

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Bill of Materials, required according to MDD93/42/EC Annex II Section 3.2???

Very odd citing. I'd challenge it, as the cited reference (MDD93/42/EC Annex II section 3.2) clearly says nothing about a required bill of materials...

That being said, I'm surprised you don't maintain one. At the very least, do you not have suppliers for the packaging & labelling, in addition to the floss materials themselves?

Jeffers

Starting to get Involved

To elaborate, there is another reference to the original finding, "It is not clear why Bill of material is not applicable."

Mark: I have a section within the Technical File that was submitted entitled, "Approved Vendor List". The section consists of a table that lists my suppliers and the items obtained from each source. This table was included in the report for a different section, but the NC remained.

My understanding of BOM:
I have limited experience with electronic medical devices, but my understanding of a BOM is slightly different than the vendor list. A BOM is generally provided for a specific product, and in the electronics world, it would provide an entire list of the individual "components" that make a device. For instance, a BOM for a lighting device could be quite simple, but would include battery clips, on/off button (if standard issue), LED, LED housing, etc. It would often include standard part numbers, which would enable ordering from various suppliers. It then would be a matter of utilizing suppliers with the appropriate certifications (price varies!) This BOM would NOT include the box for the flashlight, just the individual components of the device.

In the example that Mark mentioned, the BOM would consist of the raw materials floss, the wax material that is the coating, and possibly any flavoring agents.

I think the most important part of the answers that everyone provided is, "it is not in the standard". Unfortunately, I only have one more round of revisions on the Technical File, so there is not too much "wiggle room" for me! Thank you in advance!

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator

Agree with all the responses so far. And I think Mark Meer's response was heading in the right direction. The general purpose for a BOM is to specify to the greatest extent needed, the materials / components going into your device (and, frankly, most of my clients have a 'system' level BOM that DOES include the 'box for the flashlight' as you say since in many cases, that's part of the packaging / shipping validation!). For very common components like screws that don't have direct bearing on safety or efficacy, specificity is not all that great. For adhesives that are patient-contacting, though, we specify supplier and manufacturer's ID for the adhesive. And, of course, this also flows right into traceability.

So how do you specify down to the appropriate level? Agreed it's not required to be a BOM but I expect the finding is probably trying to ensure the product can be manufactured the same way (materials- and property-wise) each time.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

A typical BOM details all the components/ingredients of the finished device, including quantities per unit (very important).

The MDD might not explicitly require a BOM as such, but it does require in Annex II s. 3.2 some information that would be readily available from a BOM. If that information is available in other ways, you comply. I assume that your reviewer was "complaining" because some of that information was either not available in your tech documentation, or just hard to find.

The following requirements from s. 3.2 (c) seem relevant (I highlighted the relevant items):

the design specifications, including the standards which will be applied and the results of the risk analysis, and also a description of the solutions adopted to fulfil the essential requirements which apply to the products if the standards referred to in Article 5 are not applied in full,

(...)

— a statement indicating whether or not the device incorporates, as an integral part, a substance or a human blood derivative referred to in section 7.4 of Annex I and the data on the tests conducted in this connection required to assess the safety, quality and usefulness of that substance or human blood derivative, taking account of the intended purpose of the device,

— a statement indicating whether or not the device is manufactured utilising tissues of animal origin as referred to in Commission Directive 2003/32/EC (1),
Please note:
1. Design specifications include what the device is made of and in what quantities.
2. A BOM could indicate whether or not medicinal substances, human blood derivatives and/or tissues of animal origin have been utilised/incorporated in the device (I understand it's not your case, but you're still required to address it).

Again, the above don't mandate you to include a BOM but you do need to make sure that those requirements are met in some way.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Bill of Materials for a complex product - Industry best practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R BOM (Bill of Materials) - To rev or not to rev Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Help Engineers understand the differences between Bill of Materials and Routers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
A Looking for BOM (Bill of Materials) template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Concessions - Raising a concession untill the BOM (Bill of Materials) is updated Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
T Document Control Revision History in Manually Created BOM's (Bill of Materials) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
J Drawing Control - Bill of materials as our master list? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A Design History File - Not ready to share the design drawings or Bill of Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
dgrainger Informational UK - Medicines and Medical Devices Bill 2019-21 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
F The EU Drafts Bill to Postpone MDR by a Year (3/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
dgrainger Informational Have your say on the UK's Medicines and Medical Devices Bill Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J UK Medicines and Medical Devices Bill - 2019 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
dgrainger Informational UK's new Medicines and Medical Devices Bill Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Great advice by Bill Watterson Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
B Bill of Material Content to meet Purchasing Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
somashekar Use of Set or Pair as Unit of Measure in the Bill of Material (BOM) Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Wes Bucey Bill Gates has a twin? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Q Software that will fit the bill of Igrafx Process compatible with Macintosh? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
Stijloor Mulally, Bill Ford awarded more than $98 million in stock World News 1
P Daily Rate to bill for a Site Quality Manager - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Stijloor Leave it to Bill Clinton! Two U.S. Journalists in N. Korea Are Said to Be Pardoned World News 12
K Is Bill Gates So Smart ? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
Sidney Vianna ANAB Accreditation Council Drafts Client Bill of Rights ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
Coury Ferguson Bill Gates to step down from Microsoft After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
Stijloor New Guideline for a Standardized Bill of Lading World News 0
P A "Clean" Bill of Health - Re-Registration Audit with No Nonconformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S New Auditor wants Mould tool repair bill included in Cost of Poor Quality! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
Marc Management by Bullying - Bill Gates and MicroSoft Career and Occupation Discussions 7
M Bizarre billing (? fraud?) problem on my landline bill After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
samer Statistics about Bill Gates Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
M Bill Harral - RIP - January 2006 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 3
Marc Definition General Quality Assurance Glossary - By Bill Pflanz Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Marc Bill Gates Envisions Cars that Can't Crash World News 5
Y Reserve APQP documents such as Preliminary Bill of Material? APQP and PPAP 3
Marc Billy Gates - Sayings of Chairman Bill After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
P Flammability Testing of Aircraft Interior Materials Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
K EU Shelf life claims for individual materials EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Production of raw materials in university labs? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
A We're currently looking for any studies performed on various PPE materials Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
N Medical Device claims that I make in my promotional/advertising materials Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
D Standard guide for shelf life determination of non sterile component with degradation materials Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News July 2019 AAQG/RMC CB Auditor Workshop - Presentation Materials AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
A Reduced Testing of Pharmaceutical Raw Materials Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
D 4M (Man, machine, method, materials) Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Maximum Height for the stored material or stock materials Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
M Testing Tensile Strength of Materials AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Informational 2019 Meeting Materials of the General and Plastic Surgery Devices Panel Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0