SBS - The best value in QMS software

Bioburden Frequency (sterile MD)

Hi!
I'm Arianna, QA of a sterile implantable manufacturer.
I should set the frequency of bioburden determination on dm sterilised by EtO, dry heat and gamma rays.
Regarding gamma rays, the ISO 11137-1 sets the frequency at 3 months. For the other two, I have not found anything.
Do you know if there are any specific ISOs? Or do I just write a rationale for the fixed frequency? And if so, which parameters should I choose in your opinion?

I'm sorry for all these questions, but our NB gave us a non-compliance during the surveillance visit and I have trouble justifying the frequency of 6 months rather than a year!

Thank you so much!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Take a look at ISO11737-1 Section A8, this will give you advise on determining the frequency for monitoring bioburden. I have quoted some below.

A rational choice for the frequency of monitoring should be made, taking into account a variety of factors including the following:
— the availability of historical data;
— the purpose for generating the data;
— the nature of the manufacturing process;
— the production frequency for the product;
— the criticality of detecting bioburden changes in a timely fashion;
— seasonal and environmental variations.

Sampling can be performed at a frequency based on time (e.g. monthly, quarterly), or on production volume (e.g. alternate batches). However, in order to establish baseline levels, it is common practice to determine bioburden at a higher frequency during the initial production of a new product and for this frequency to be reduced as a knowledge of bioburden develops.

The frequency of determinations of bioburden should allow detection of changes in bioburden, for example, due to seasonal variations, manufacturing changes or changes in materials.

The consistency of the bioburden is more important than the absolute level, so start testing frequently to set good baseline data then you can reduce the frequency as you. Unless you have very good data to back it up, 6 monthly or annually would be too long.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Radiation Sterilization Dose Audit: Bioburden frequency Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
P Frequency of Bioburden Testing EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A ISO 11135:2014, B.1.4, BI resistance x product bioburden ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Sterility and BioBurden Testing for Plastics ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Bioburden monitoring for surgical instrument provided non-sterile EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Sterility and Bioburden Testing - LAL passed under 0.5EU/mL Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
F Bioburden Testing requirements for Non-Sterile Dental Products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
V Cleanliness/Bioburden for Non-Sterile Gas Path Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
N Must Bioburden Sampling Procedures be Documented? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
R Simulated product for bioburden testing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
C What is the most appropriate Bioburden Test Method for Surgical Gloves ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Bioburden numbers and ECA gloves 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Bioburden testing for Class 10000 (Grade C) clean room ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
O Bioburden Testing - Non Sterile Product / Tapes - ISO 11737-1 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
P Serial Testing of Bioburden for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Biological Monitoring Program Environmental Bioburden Test Method Needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C What is an acceptable bioburden level or count when working in cleanroom ISO class7 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B BioBurden and EndoToxin Questions Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
M Sterility Testing vs Bioburden Testing - Differences Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
S Bioburden Monitoring Sample Size Increase ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Bioburden and Endotoxin (LAL) Testing proposal help 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
I Bioburden Count Question - Bioburden is above the alert limit >1 CFU/component avg. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Bioburden Monitoring - 'Off the Shelf' Bioburden/Microbiological Monitoring Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L GB15980-2003 Bioburden Count Trend on Operator Hands Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
0 Guideline/Method for Raw Material Roll Stock Bioburden Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q Bioburden Requirements on Device used on Unbroken Skin Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
A Microbial Limit (Bioburden)on dry nonwoven that used for making Hand sanitizing wipes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Bioburden and Product Labels - VD Max studies on all the BOMs Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 9
H Determining a New Product Bioburden Limit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
L Validation of transfer materials - Bioburden of items from lab into cleanroom Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
L Monitoring bioburden on clean room gloves Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Spinal Implant Testing Requirements - Bioburden, TGA & Ion Chromatography 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Establishing alert and action limits for clean room bioburden Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 9
C ISO 11737 - Bioburden testing for non-sterile products Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
E Bioburden tests duration and Monitoring of gloves ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S What is a reasonable Bioburden limit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
I Microbiological Testing - Bioburden and Identification of Micro-Organisms ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Calibration Frequency for Slip Gauge Kit used for CMM Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
Z IEC 60601-2-25; Frequency response test Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
R Procedure, Frequency and Acceptance Criteria for Replicate, Recalibration, Before-After and Intermediate Checks ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
qualprod To set frequency to review documents in ISO 9001 7.5? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
M Defining frequency of measurement tools callibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
L Calibration Frequency for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Content and Frequency Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
H Frequency of shelf life/sterilization/bench studies conducted on a medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 1