Biocompatibility - ISO 10993 and SVHC Requirements

R

Riskophil

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the biocomp Evaluation of a medical device.

What we usually do is evaluating the device according to ISO 10993 (cytotox, sensitization, Irritation...).

We are also stating that our Primary packaging materials (eye drops) are free of phtalates and BPA in this context.
Here we are further referring to a document that states numerous "Free of..." parts. We are also adressing SVHC, GMO, BSE/TSE, Heavy Metals and a lot more.

I was wondering of what would be really mandatory and what not since the ISO 10993 never requested one of those Topics (to my knowledge) explicitly. So how can you show safety without exaggerating everything.

Is it even possible to leave out some of the components that are not in contact with either the product or the Patient.

Thank you and Kind regards,

Phil

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi Phil,

Risk management is the way to go.

You have to distinguish between regulatory requirements and market (client) requirements.

As far as I know, ISO 10993 doesn't deal directly with any of the specifics you mentioned.

Some regulations relate to phthalates, BSE/TSE and heavy metals, but applicability depends on the geographical regulatory domain (EU, USA etc.) and the specifics of your devices.

I suggest you put it all in a Risk Management framework (ISO 14971 or similar), identify the concerns and the applicable regulations and address them as necessary through one or more of: standard compliance, other testing, supply chain evidence or your own declarations / justifications. That would be an acceptable way of demonstrating safety.

Whatever is not required for mitigating a risk or addressing a regulatory requirement can be dropped, provided that it's not explicitly required by a client. Keep in mind though that your marketing guys might argue that some of those "free of..." statements have general positive market appeal and should therefore stay even though no explicit requirement exists...

I hope that the above is not completely useless to you...:)

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited:
J

Julie O

I know of no reason to evaluate a component for biocompatibility if it is not in contact with the product or the USERS. Users can include patients, physicians, and other personnel. Let your intended use be your guide.

I second Ronen's comment about marketing. I would get their input before dropping any claims, even ones that don't seem technically relevant to you.

My Medical Device complies only with ISO 10993-1:2009 regulations. What should be the steps taken to upgrade to ISO 10993-1:2018 regulations? Also, what is the last date for doing this upgrade?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Kuldeep Singh Diagnostic X-ray devices - Applicability of Biocompatibility Testing per ISO 10993-1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S ISO 10993 Biocompatibility Evaluation - Electronic thermometer Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
I ISO 10993 Biocompatibility Requirements - manufacturing process chemicals Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
S ISO 10993-1: External Communicating Device biocompatibility test requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Selecting materials for implants to comply with ISO 10993 biocompatibility Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Pre-Selecting Materials for ISO 10993-1 Biocompatibility Compliance Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
A Claiming Biocompatibility without ISO 10993-1 Other Medical Device Related Standards 19
C Differences between the biocompatibility standards ISO 7405 and ISO 10993 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Biocompatibility of Medical Devices (ISO 10993 vs Japan requirement) Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
J ISO 10993: Biocompatibility and Use of Textile Materials for Skin Contact Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Medical Device Biocompatibility Testing - End Product or Components - ISO 10993 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
E Biocompatibility/ISO 10993 training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Biocompatibility Testing for Implantable Medical Devices according to ISO 10993 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Steve McQuality Biocompatibility - USP Class VI vs. ISO 10933 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
F Biocompatibility evaluation for Hardware/Interface Components? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Beliz Biocompatibility Testing for Laser Epilation Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L FDA Biocompatibility Requirements - Transitory Contact Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K Biocompatibility Testing - Multile products of different sizes and shapes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
K Biocompatibility evaluation of gas pathways Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
Judy Abbott Activation of complement at 90 min - BSI requested for justifications to support the biocompatibility of the device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Judy Abbott Can any one help me with an urgent BIOCOMPATIBILITY Impact assessment? Internal Auditing 9
shimonv Referring to previously submitted biocompatibility results in a new 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R 510(k) Biocompatibility vs Cleaning Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
K Biocompatibility classification for Lancet CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
F Sample Size for Biocompatibility Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
F Biocompatibility Device Categorization: Priming with Blood Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
W Biocompatibility Risk Analysis for Clinical Practitioner 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
F Biocompatibility on aged devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Gamula Biocompatibility GLP conform tests outside China China Medical Device Regulations 1
K Biocompatibility Testing - Component Level or Assembled Medical Device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
I Biocompatibility Impact on Autoclaved Silicone Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
D Should Biocompatibility Tests be performed on Production Samples? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
R What is the expectation for Biocompatibility Testing when switching Suppliers? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
C Biocompatibility Test for a Non Contact Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
planB Biocompatibility: Blue Book Memorandum #G95-1 superseded by new FDA guidance Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Biocompatibility - why are animal studies necessary? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
R Biocompatibility Test of Blue Gown vs Blue Drape 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R FDA Biocompatibility questions for Surgical Gown 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Biocompatibility requirements for a Class IIa medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
S Biocompatibility testing for nasal prongs made of medical grade silicone 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
J Biocompatibility tests in AAA LAC Laboratory ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Biocompatibility for Packaging Materials Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
J Biocompatibility Evaluation component other than Testing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
J Grouping Products and Testing Sterile and Biocompatibility - Validating Products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Laminaria - Is a Biocompatibility Study Required? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Biocompatibility in Respiratory Products - Help interpreting whitepaper IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 22
S Laminaria - Biocompatibility Study? Imported Legacy Blogs 1
M Three final products in one biocompatibility test? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
S Laminaria Stick (Cervical Dilator) - Biocompatibility Test required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1