Biocompatibility on aged devices

Hi there,

Did anybody ever test biocompatibility specifically on aged devices? Iso 10993-1 does not say anything about that, however the question came up during our shelf-life Evaluation and i am considering doing it (e.g. initially a chemical characterization of both aged and non-aged device and then compare leachables profile. Then, if significantly different leachables profile conduct biological testing).
One question that comes up now is if accelarated aging would be appopriate, or if we would have to use real-time aged products (end of shelf life).

Thanks

Freddo

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Remus

Involved In Discussions
Accelerated agging is not apporite since heat can evaporate chemicals might cause toxicity. simple example EtO. Most of the cases manufacturing aids causes toxicity.

You can plan for real time agging products.

Hi all,
I am still stuck with this Topic. I did an E&L study on aged vs non-aged devices, but the results are disappointing, since i get a lot of "unidentified" leachables and can't really compare the two test items.
I am currently considering doing a paper-based Evaluation regarding the stability and possible degradation of all the materials used in the device, but i am not sure where to gather data for this.
I really want to avoid doing all the biological tests again on aged devices.
Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Freddo

planB

Trusted Information Resource
Freddo,

your initial plan to compare E&L profiles of aged vs. non-aged devices sounds reasonable and justified in line with ISO 10993-1:2018. Since you have performed a comparative study, the exact chemical nature of the compounds related to your leachables profile is of minor importance, as long as the same pattern/fingerprint can be observed for the aged product in comparison the non-aged product. If you have detected leachables in the aged product that are different in quantity and/or chemical nature - well then you will have to evaluate these E&L's, either through ISO 10993-17, or by further studies.

In any case, you may consider performing a cytotoxicity test according to ISO 10993-5 both on the aged and non-aged devices, respectively: the test is fast and provides a very sensitive biological endpoint and thus, gives you a first indication whether you might have to deal with toxic degradation products.

Some more items to consider:
  • Have you aged your product in its final packaging? If yes, can you exclude degradation products migrating to your product out of the packaging materials?
  • Are your materials reported in the literature to be susceptible to degradation, or reported to be stable?
  • Is your product (terminally) sterilized? If yes, have you excluded that sterilization plays are role in your differing E&L profiles? Is there any other (subtle) manufacturing process difference between your sample groups, that may have an impact?
  • E&L analysis method(s): which one(s) did you actually use and how did you determine its/their appropriateness?
HTH,

Gerhard

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Biocompatibility evaluation for Hardware/Interface Components? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Beliz Biocompatibility Testing for Laser Epilation Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L FDA Biocompatibility Requirements - Transitory Contact Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K Biocompatibility Testing - Multile products of different sizes and shapes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
K Biocompatibility evaluation of gas pathways Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
Kuldeep Singh Diagnostic X-ray devices - Applicability of Biocompatibility Testing per ISO 10993-1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Judy Abbott Activation of complement at 90 min - BSI requested for justifications to support the biocompatibility of the device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Judy Abbott Can any one help me with an urgent BIOCOMPATIBILITY Impact assessment? Internal Auditing 9
S ISO 10993 Biocompatibility Evaluation - Electronic thermometer Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
shimonv Referring to previously submitted biocompatibility results in a new 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
I ISO 10993 Biocompatibility Requirements - manufacturing process chemicals Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
R 510(k) Biocompatibility vs Cleaning Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
K Biocompatibility classification for Lancet CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
F Sample Size for Biocompatibility Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
F Biocompatibility Device Categorization: Priming with Blood Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
W Biocompatibility Risk Analysis for Clinical Practitioner 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Gamula Biocompatibility GLP conform tests outside China China Medical Device Regulations 1
K Biocompatibility Testing - Component Level or Assembled Medical Device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
I Biocompatibility Impact on Autoclaved Silicone Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
D Should Biocompatibility Tests be performed on Production Samples? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
R What is the expectation for Biocompatibility Testing when switching Suppliers? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
C Biocompatibility Test for a Non Contact Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
R Biocompatibility - ISO 10993 and SVHC Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
planB Biocompatibility: Blue Book Memorandum #G95-1 superseded by new FDA guidance Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S ISO 10993-1: External Communicating Device biocompatibility test requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M Biocompatibility - why are animal studies necessary? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
R Biocompatibility Test of Blue Gown vs Blue Drape 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R FDA Biocompatibility questions for Surgical Gown 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Biocompatibility requirements for a Class IIa medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
S Biocompatibility testing for nasal prongs made of medical grade silicone 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
J Biocompatibility tests in AAA LAC Laboratory ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Biocompatibility for Packaging Materials Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
J Biocompatibility Evaluation component other than Testing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
J Grouping Products and Testing Sterile and Biocompatibility - Validating Products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Laminaria - Is a Biocompatibility Study Required? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Biocompatibility in Respiratory Products - Help interpreting whitepaper IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 22
S Laminaria - Biocompatibility Study? Imported Legacy Blogs 1
M Three final products in one biocompatibility test? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
S Selecting materials for implants to comply with ISO 10993 biocompatibility Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S Laminaria Stick (Cervical Dilator) - Biocompatibility Test required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Biocompatibility for "Desktop" used Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Biocompatibility Test requirements for 510k - Orthopaedic Implant Screws US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Biocompatibility omission justification for FDA 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
Ajit Basrur Is Biocompatibility study performed on medical devices for possible contaminants? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
pittmatj CFDA Requests Biocompatibility Evaluation for Raw Materials ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Is Biocompatibility Testing required for Implantable Class III Devices sent to China China Medical Device Regulations 3
J Biocompatibility for Class I Non-Sterile Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Biocompatibility Evaluation Testing on Single Use Tube Sets Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
R Can the same Biocompatibility Report for Infusion Set be used for its Components? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7